soy wax question on cure time from a newbie :)

I tried burning a candle approx 24-36 hours after i made it...had pretty good CT and no HT at all. Do you suspect it is because i didn't let it cure or maybe a wicking issue? Candle made with GB 444, small amount coco oil, 9% FO from Wooden Wick Co Pink Pepper and Vetiver. I am guessing i am a bit overwicked with a 3"diameter jar and premier 775 wick, the melt pool is just over 1/4 inch. Is it wick? Cure time? both? 

Soy candles really do benefit from a good cure time.  I can't comment on your wick since I don't use that type, but my experience with lots of different soy waxes is that a week of cure time is minimum...two is even better, generally speaking.  I've had lousy throw at 1-2 weeks, then at 4 weeks - BOOM!  There it is.  Lol  There are a LOT of factors affecting HT ... wax type, fragrance load, cure time, wicking, ambient temperatures and airflow patterns when burning, and the type of fragrance itself.  Some fo's just are NOT going to throw well in soy ... so testing different variables is key.  And giving it plenty of cure time is a must, IMO.

• Like 1

I use Premier wicks, and the 775 is the most versatile of the bunch. Love it! If you’re getting 1/4” melt pool, that’s pretty spot on. Wouldn’t change that. 

As far a cure times go, I use the analogy of cooking a stew... the longer the ingredients have to set, the better it gets. You should do a test... make a case and burn one per week to evaluate the changes. I can 100% say that candle that has sat for a month or more smells way better than a week old one. 

one question though: why are you adding coconut oil?

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/30/2020 at 4:01 PM, StanfordP said:

I use Premier wicks, and the 775 is the most versatile of the bunch. Love it! If you’re getting 1/4” melt pool, that’s pretty spot on. Wouldn’t change that. 

As far a cure times go, I use the analogy of cooking a stew... the longer the ingredients have to set, the better it gets. You should do a test... make a case and burn one per week to evaluate the changes. I can 100% say that candle that has sat for a month or more smells way better than a week old one. 

one question though: why are you adding coconut oil?

From what I hear coconut oil gives soy wax a better scent throw.