This damn Northwoods Coconut Wax.... can't wick it.

ErronB

I think this is the first wax I've ever used where I can't wick it, no series burns consistently in it for me so far. I've tried CD, Eco, RRD, LX, Premier, HTP, Paper Core..... I'm at a loss now.

I love the way this coconut gives hot throw, it's unlike anything I've used before. But I can't wick the damn stuff. Cottonwood works okay if you trim it but nothing is consistent. I don't want to blend it with anything I need to use it 'as is'. 

Anyone else out there that uses this stuff that can at least give me a hint?

(I've been testing in the 3" diameter paint can tins)

Edited by ErronB

2 hours ago, TallTayl said:

What issues are hitting you with those wicks? 

It seems like everything goes fine until I get a couple burns in then everything decides to mushroom or flames just don't stay tame. The Paper core wicks are almost passable, they mushroom but they fall off and the wick keeps going, maybe I'll try a size up and down. I tried wooden wicks and even they weren't working consistently after priming.

I just need something to work that's self-trimming.

My suggestion go down. When you get half way with some of the coco blends the bottom half is the problem area. You might have to wick way further down than you think - I think of coconut like a paraffin. If you treat it as such you will have an easier time wicking.

• Like 2

Hi ErronB,

While I don't use NW Coconut wax, it sounds like that you are having similar issues I had with Coconut 83. I know it can be frustrating and expensive.  Your wick collection is kinda like mine. 

I've had the most improvement with CDN 8, CD 7  CW 20 and 30 with 3" diameter. There is a lot of hang up w/ CD7 and CW 20; it does catch up quickly.  Honestly,  I never could get away from some sooting and inconsistencies with long burns using straight coconut 83.  (White containers don't hide the truth). They only way to get them to burn somewhat well were trimming wicks really short and even then the last 10-12 hours of the candle were not great.

I know this is disappointing to hear, but the only way I was able to really good burn was by blending the wax upto 40/60 and 50/50 with soy. With the wicks mentioned above, I've really tested my candles by "abusing" them like a buyer would. (Loooong burns, short burns, not trimming and drafty areas). With this blend, I do have some cracking blemishes that I need to fix initially, but they are burning successfully, no sooting, some carbon ball formation, HT is good, and they do look creamy in consistency. 

I hope you have better luck using straight NW coconut than I did with coconut 83. Hang in there!

Edited by Candlefriends

1 hour ago, Candlefriends said:

Hi ErronB,

While I don't use NW Coconut wax, it sounds like that you are having similar issues I had with Coconut 83. I know it can be frustrating and expensive.  Your wick collection is kinda like mine. 

I've had the most improvement with CDN 8, CD 7  CW 20 and 30 with 3" diameter. There is a lot of hang up w/ CD7 and CW 20; it does catch up quickly.  Honestly,  I never could get away from some sooting and inconsistencies with long burns using straight coconut 83.  (White containers don't hide the truth). They only way to get them to burn somewhat well were trimming wicks really short and even then the last 10-12 hours of the candle were not great.

I know this is disappointing to hear, but the only way I was able to really good burn was by blending the wax upto 40/60 and 50/50 with soy. With the wicks mentioned above, I've really tested my candles by "abusing" them like a buyer would. (Loooong burns, short burns, not trimming and drafty areas). With this blend, I do have some cracking blemishes that I need to fix initially, but they are burning successfully, no sooting, some carbon ball formation, HT is good, and they do look creamy in consistency. 

I hope you have better luck using straight NW coconut than I did with coconut 83. Hang in there!

Thanks for the heads up, that's disappointing to hear. The guys from Northwoods use Eco 8-10 with a 9% FO load in a 3" status. When I tried that it was a joke, I can't believe that's their go-to formula.

I think I'm gonna just have to stick with the Wooden Wick Co Coconut Soy and wooden wicks, it just works when you get it right.

Shame really because I like the way coconut83 / northwoods throws with the softer fragrances, there's no way I'm gonna mix it, so I'll have to drop it if I can't get anything else to work.

Thanks again.

Edited by ErronB

I’ve used that wax and yes you need to wick down. Their recommendations are just a guide. I’m not sure their wax is coco 83, they say they blend their own, I may be wrong. I also use lab and co wax but like nightlight says wick down, this one has paraffin in it so that may help you decide how to wick, a great wax but not the price ha! Good luck.😀

What about a HTP wick? Those are self trimming. I make a soy/coconut blend (not Northwoods Coco) and they seem to do OK. I have other issues that I'm trying to work out but the HTP wick seems (overall) to not be problematic. My jars are ceramic though so you'd have to take that into consideration. They're 4" tall and 3 3/4" in diameter. I use HTP 105.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/23/2020 at 8:47 AM, Peggy T said:

What about a HTP wick? Those are self trimming. I make a soy/coconut blend (not Northwoods Coco) and they seem to do OK. I have other issues that I'm trying to work out but the HTP wick seems (overall) to not be problematic. My jars are ceramic though so you'd have to take that into consideration. They're 4" tall and 3 3/4" in diameter. I use HTP 105.

Yeah, that's what I ended up with. I re-tested the small HTP's 52/62 and it seems the best choice for a stable flame in a small jar. I always thought CD would work better for this kind of wax but even a CD3 the flame was too big.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

@ErronB...which northwoods coconut were you using?  Are you still using it and if so are the htp wicks still working the best?  I have been thinking about trying their"All Natural Coconut Candle Wax" (NW-58) and wanted to see if anyone with more experience than me had an opinion on it.  Thanks!

I didn’t see zinc wicks on your list. I use coconut apricot and have had success with Zinc, Paper core, CD, HTP, LX, and Premier 700 series. All in the smaller sizes.  Eco, RRD, and Hemp wicks burn way too hot for me. Wood wicks I only like for the ambiance they are too inconsistent  for me I just enjoy the crackling.  Cotton core and cottonwood I have but have not had a chance to test scented candles with them yet. Also the NEW big coconut wick everyone is losing their minds over are HSPS wicks that Northwood sells.  Apparently they have tested them in coconut waxes with great success.  They are pretty new so I have only seen A few peoples results.  How have your HT’s been?

17 hours ago, jmspgh said:

@ErronB...which northwoods coconut were you using?  Are you still using it and if so are the htp wicks still working the best?  I have been thinking about trying their"All Natural Coconut Candle Wax" (NW-58) and wanted to see if anyone with more experience than me had an opinion on it.  Thanks!

The NW-58 was the one I was using, but after testing a lot more fragrances it was just too dirty to burn on it's own without adding soy to it. Supposedly their new HPSP wicks are better for that wax but I haven't tested them yet so I wouldn't know. It didn't have a high enough melt point for me anyway, I use waxes that have a melt point of around 130 or more so that they can survive in the mail.

2 hours ago, Marisa11 said:

I didn’t see zinc wicks on your list. I use coconut apricot and have had success with Zinc, Paper core, CD, HTP, LX, and Premier 700 series. All in the smaller sizes.  Eco, RRD, and Hemp wicks burn way too hot for me. Wood wicks I only like for the ambiance they are too inconsistent  for me I just enjoy the crackling.  Cotton core and cottonwood I have but have not had a chance to test scented candles with them yet. Also the NEW big coconut wick everyone is losing their minds over are HSPS wicks that Northwood sells.  Apparently they have tested them in coconut waxes with great success.  They are pretty new so I have only seen A few peoples results.  How have your HT’s been?

I don't like the coconut apricot at all, I used it a while back. It pours great but the hot throw is very mediocre compared to a good parasoy, it's passable with wooden wicks but as you've already noticed they are incredibly inconsistent and can't be used on a professional level.

Zinc wasn't in my list because they are not self-trimming. The cottonwood wicks are 'interesting', but that's all I got to say about them. The first burn was always perfect for me, but even after trimming them the flames would be way too big after that. The way that they fray apart is really annoying, too.