% composition of Northwood Coconut + 464 Candle Science Soy

Hi Everyone!

I am looking for a leg while I start to test and hoping folks who have experience working with mixing Coconut (From Northwood Candle Supply) and 464 GB (from candlescience) can help!

Can folks weigh in on what % of coconut to 464 works best? 

What wick series would work best to avoid burning? 

Best,

:) dee 

Hi Dee,

I just went through this myself - approx 2 months of testing and experimenting with different %s and wicks. As I'm fairly new to candle making myself.  Many will recommend and I found out that you have to put quite of bit of soy into coconut to make it "wickable" and soot preventable. I don't get my coconut wax from NW, so the burn properties may vary somewhat. I do use GW 464 soy though. To give you a jump start I would try 70/30% coconut to soy and you will probably need to go up from there. You may also want to take into consideration - hot weather temps. Soft coconut will have a higher chance of melting during shipping. Soy will harden the wax even more and lessen the chances of that occurring.

Wick sizes vary on your candle jar diameter and pay attention to your jars to see if they have a taper. The taper will make a difference in sizing. I found that CD and CDN wicks have worked the best for me. Others here found luck with or prefer a different type.  

Finally, be sure to experiment, the info above is a big leg up to get started. Be aware there is no quick and easy trick to candle making - as many of us here can attest to :)!  I've learned a lot from trial and error and the help I've received here. Hopefully, this info works out for you!!! :) - Candlefriends

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! Thanks so much for this feedback. :)@Candlefriends And sorry I am so late on the response, I did not see this! 

I've done a ton of testing and found that I work best with 464 (90%) and 10% Coconut.

I'm still working on identifying the best wick to be completely honest with the 90% 464 and 10% soy. 

I have a 2.88 diameter jar and have tested a HTP 83 and it seems to be working well with a decent meltpool but an LX series is also doing similarly and CD's seem to be burning super hot. 

I've been testing all of these without FO. 

Any advice? 

I've used  coconut83 (cal candle) and easy beads (candles and supplies) in various ratios. I've tried (464/coconut) 95/5, 90/10, and 80/20. So much does seem to depend on the 464 batch. I used 90% 464 with 10% coco83 in  glass tumblers with wooden wicks (1/2" booster wick) and had pretty good results, you just have to trim those wicks all the time but that seems to always be the case with wooden wicks. I've had a harder time in my ceramic jars with "regular" wicks. The ceramic makes it a bit trickier since they hold the heat. I had what appeared to be good results with 80/20 (easybeads) and an HTP 105 wick (my jars are ~3.5" diameter) BUT then I got a new batch of 464 and everything was a hot mess. My FO was seeping out at 8% and I had a bunch of cavities. So I am not trying to resolve that issue. So all of that to say I would thing that between 10 and 20% coconut wax you should be able to find a sweet spot. Just pay attention to your LOT #s of 464 in case you have problems.