Sign in to follow this  
Candlefriends

Cracking/Dipping around wick with Coco/Soy blend

Hi Everyone - I hope you all are doing well and staying healthy!

With some extra free time I've been really been able to experiment with wax blends with much success. So I've bumped up my blend %'s quite a bit and the power burns are doing great at the 40/60. (40 GW 464 and 60 Coco 83). (Anything less in percentage failed the power burn test). This latest combo has no smoking/soot, mushrooming, and pretty calm flame during power burns.  However, with so much soy, I am running into dipping and cracking around the wick, the tops are smooth. I don't get any sinkholes,  but get the feeling that the flaw is similar and is just manifesting itself as cracks. This issue is new to me. (when I worked with soy in the past, it was in a different space and containers. I never had these problems). 

Until my workspace is built in my basement,  I'm stuck in a open space kitchen / dining area that's pretty hard to control - it's cool and drafty. The containers I use are pretty thin glass.

So far I've tried:

Pouring at 140 and the extreme end 120 and cloudy. Heated jars with a heat gun, and my work table is wood. All are the same result. 

Would you recommend - 

1). Putting boxes over the top of the candles as they cool

2). Pouring even hotter

3). Creating relief holes and fixing with a heat gun

4). Using a different soy brand

5). Something else?

6). All of the above or None of the above

Thanks for helping this newbie!!! 😊 

Note *This is not my candle, but is what they look like before burning. The shrinkage and pull-away sign around the wick is exactly the same. When I burn you can see the DEEP cracks in the melt pool usually 2- 3 of them. They appear to be burning fine - I won't be able to sell them due to aesthetics.

candle-with-dipping-problem.gif.e4acf4af10f1616aab52d3a663d86531.gif

Hi.  I hope you are doing well and staying healthy, too.  

You might want to try to find a spot that is warmer(70F and above room temperature) and lack of draft first before you try other methods.  If that is not the option that you can do, then try putting box over the candle.  (Blow in some hot air into the box and/or cover it with blanket might help little bit more.)

Another method would be to create relief holes and do double pour.  With coconut wax, it does not need double pouring method to achieve beautiful looking tops.  But, you might want to try to do double pouring method all the time for soy wax like GW 464. 

*Single poured GW 464 could have very nice good looking tops.  But, single poured GW 464 cannot look better than double poured GW 464. 

It's nice to hear that you got Coco83 working.🙂

• Like 1

Thanks BusyBee!  I've been saving boxes - ha, ha, ha! Colorado is challenging with temperatures. The weather here is a split personality. One day it's beautiful  sunny 65+ and the next day 20's and snowing. The drastic temp. changes has helped me think about how to build my candle studio features to maintain a constant temp environment. Thanks again! 

On 4/18/2020 at 11:14 AM, Candlefriends said:

They appear to be burning fine - I won't be able to sell them due to aesthetics.

I wouldn't place too much emphasis on aesthetics... It's important, but scent throw is most important. A few minor cracks don't really matter. I use a coco/soy blend in my candles and have the same issue with pulling away at the wick. Easy solution: press it down with your finger. Can't even tell. And once the candle starts burning, any other aesthetic problems literally melt away.

I pour mine at 175. Layout the vessels next to each other tightly. And set the wicks at the absolute last minute. Good luck!

• Like 1