Redirecting your domain

Jeana

I can't stand the place I buy my domain from. No matter how many times I tell them not to keep my card on file, they auto renew it every year. They do so 2 months early each time. So the next year it's due 2 months early again, and this goes on and on. This is so unethical! This time they charged the renewal to a card I don't even own. I don't even know where they got the number from, but it's none of my cards. They are so sketchy I want to get away from them. 

First, can anyone recommend an affordable place to buy your domain, that includes at least one domain email? Second, if my domain was already renewed do I have to wait for it to expire before I purchase from a different place? Third, how hard is it to redirect your domain to the new place? 

Edited by Jeana

2 hours ago, Jeana said:

I can't stand the place I buy my domain from. No matter how many times I tell them not to keep my card on file, they auto renew it every year. They do so 2 months early each time. So the next year it's due 2 months early again, and this goes on and on. This is so unethical! This time they charged the renewal to a card I don't even own. I don't even know where they got the number from, but it's none of my cards. They are so sketchy I want to get away from them. 

First, can anyone recommend an affordable place to buy your domain, that includes at least one domain email? Second, if my domain was already renewed do I have to wait for it to expire before I purchase from a different place? Third, how hard is it to redirect your domain to the new place? 

Sounds like what they are doing is illegal and I would tell them so and say your lawyer will contact them if they don't work with you. I have used Go Daddy in the past but they are expensive and have business practices I didn't like so I do not recommend them. I currently use https://www.ionos.com/ formerly known as 1and1.com and have owned domains with them for years. I like them and they are fairly priced and registering your domains as private is included in the price and not extra like with other domain companies, I recommend them. And I believe you get an email account with a domain, but check their website. You can transfer a domain you own/rent at any time, it's quick and easy with ionos. I transfered my Go Daddy domains to ionos last year and it was a quick and simply process. There are instructions on their site or call their tech support. No don't let your domain expire if you want to keep it, someone else could snatch it from you. Right now their .com domains are $10 for the first year then $15 a year after that which is cheap in my opinion. https://www.ionos.com/domains/com-domain. And you can do domain redirects as well.

Edited by Laura C
  • Like 1

I have some email accounts included in the price with my domains with ionos but I've not set them up yet.

It says this about email with a domain on their website: A professional email address (for example: me@mycompany.com) is connected to your domain with 2 GB of mailbox space to start. Upgrade anytime for more space.  https://www.ionos.com/domains/com-domain

• Like 1

transfer your domain to GoDaddy.com....if your current registrar releases your domain without a hitch it should be a smooth move. You will need a authorization code from your current registrar. Then set up an account at GoDaddy. GoDaddy is pretty good. I have been with them for a long time and have registered many domains with them. You have the choice to auto renew every year or two or to manually renew every year :)

Here's some info

https://www.godaddy.com/offers/domains/domain-transfer?isc=gofd1001aj&gclid=CjwKCAjwp-X0BRAFEiwAheRuixrbTd23c4QV2aTXLLdjp7kcw__zd_A84nyYpu8fKyLSi-zKEi6KGBoCGNUQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

• Like 1

On 4/17/2020 at 10:46 AM, Laura C said:

post deleted, not needed, sorry

I thought it was ok. You were right. I haven’t heard good things about go daddy these days. They used to have a very good reputation, but I hear they are more a la carte now, which adds up. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeana said:

@Laura C who are you hosting your site through? I m looking for a new website builder and host too. I’m with big commerce right now. They are very good, but their templates are limited and outdated. 

Hi Jeanna. I have all of my domains with IONOS (use to be 1and1), just domains and email addresses, no other services right now with them. Aside from free social media sites I have 1 website and I'm currently building it with Adobe Portfolio. I already have and am paying for Adobe Creative Cloud services; Photoshop, Lightroom, etc. which also includes Spark (graphics, logos, etc.) and Portfolio (a website builder & host). So I decided to use Portfolio instead of paying an additional monthly website builder & web hosting fee with IONOS. Portfolio also allows me to use one of my custom domains that I have with IONOS. I redirect the generic Portfolio url to my custom url. I think this will work out great for me.

47 minutes ago, Laura C said:

Hi Jeanna. I have all of my domains with IONOS (use to be 1and1), just domains and email addresses, no other services right now with them. Aside from free social media sites I have 1 website and I'm currently building it with Adobe Portfolio. I already have and am paying for Adobe Creative Cloud services; Photoshop, Lightroom, etc. which also includes Spark (graphics, logos, etc.) and Portfolio (a website builder & host). So I decided to use Portfolio instead of paying an additional monthly website builder & web hosting fee with IONOS. Portfolio also allows me to use one of my custom domains that I have with IONOS. I redirect the generic Portfolio url to my custom url. I think this will work out great for me.

Wow that’s a lot! You must have a great site.

I looked up ionos customer reviews. It looks like since they changed from 1&1 customers have been really unhappy.  A lot of 1 Star comments for the full service options. At least they could work for the domain purchase just to get away from my old place. I’ll look at portfolio. I was really considering Wix. They are supposed to be really easy and I’ve heard many B&B makers happy with them, but they don’t offer emails, and they charge more for monthly payments. They have some nice templates though. 

4 hours ago, Jeana said:

I looked up ionos customer reviews. It looks like since they changed from 1&1 customers have been really unhappy.  A lot of 1 Star comments for the full service options. 

LOL, I'm working on my site trying to make it look great and simple. That's interesting about the ionos reviews, since they bought out 1and1. On reflection, my past dealings have been with the company when they were 1and1, I haven't had to deal with the new owners. Hmmm... I'll keep that in mind. I don't have any experience with any of those other companies. Sometimes it's hard to know what to do. Sometimes going with your gut can help you decide. Good luck, hope you find what makes you happy.

here's a couple posts that may be helpful to you:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/16/2020 at 7:21 PM, Jeana said:

Alot and I mean alot of domain providers use godaddy at the core. Trust me I am a godaddy reseller myself. You can transfer your domain anytime throughout the year by initiating the transfer on the new registrar and confirming it on your old one. You just need to 1. Make sure the registration email is yours that you have access to and 2. make sure the domain is unlocked. (most registrars locked them from transfer by default but you should be able to unlock it from your control panel. Once you transfer your domain its important to find a host that will allow you unlimited email accounts. it costs them nothing for this. If you want a nice site that has a relatively easy learning curve to sell online wordpress and woocommerce are the choice for you. There are many templates and plugins and the overall coding is clean and ranks well with the search engines. If you need any help let me know and I can guide you through the transfer once you decide on anew registrar.

• Like 1

On 4/29/2020 at 11:46 PM, NewtonAgency said:

Alot and I mean alot of domain providers use godaddy at the core. Trust me I am a godaddy reseller myself. You can transfer your domain anytime throughout the year by initiating the transfer on the new registrar and confirming it on your old one. You just need to 1. Make sure the registration email is yours that you have access to and 2. make sure the domain is unlocked. (most registrars locked them from transfer by default but you should be able to unlock it from your control panel. Once you transfer your domain its important to find a host that will allow you unlimited email accounts. it costs them nothing for this. If you want a nice site that has a relatively easy learning curve to sell online wordpress and woocommerce are the choice for you. There are many templates and plugins and the overall coding is clean and ranks well with the search engines. If you need any help let me know and I can guide you through the transfer once you decide on anew registrar.

Thanks for the good info. Now I have a situation. I disputed my old domain registrars illegal charge since it was 2 months early and they used an expired CC on my account and they have now closed my account online so I can't get the code to move my domain now. They were sooo rude about this, is there anyway to leave them without having to contact them. I just want to leave them and not have to deal with them ever again. BTW this HORRIBLE unethical domain and hosting company is called Webstarts. Do not ever deal with them!