Color Bleed in Lather

sarahmarah

I grabbed a few bars of CP soap from a popular soapery and I love the product but noticed a significant amount of color bleed in the lather. Is this a common or expected thing in soap making? I haven’t worked with colorants yet and I have no idea. 

Some colors if too much is used can bleed.  Charcoal will give a grey lather if too much is used.  Red Oxide too will bleed.  I haven't found any that stain even though they bleed.  Micas for the most part are pretty stable and I've not had an issue with them causing any bleed.   Just oxides, ultramarines, oxides.   If mica is bleeding then way too much was used. 

• Thanks 1

Just my opinion but if this is a popular soap company they should not have soaps that produce colored lather. An experienced soaper has learned how to make soap with colors in just the right amounts to produce the desired soap color without the bleed. Sorry but to me this just smacks of amateur soapmaking. I would look elsewhere for my next soap order.

Its true the soap should be okay even if it bleeds color in the lather. No way I would sell soap that did that. It takes some adjusting to fix the bleed and to me that is what a professional does. Color bleed or lather bleed from a "popular" soap company sounds lazy azz to me. JMO

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Candybee said:

Just my opinion but if this is a popular soap company they should not have soaps that produce colored lather. An experienced soaper has learned how to make soap with colors in just the right amounts to produce the desired soap color without the bleed. Sorry but to me this just smacks of amateur soapmaking. I would look elsewhere for my next soap order.

Its true the soap should be okay even if it bleeds color in the lather. No way I would sell soap that did that. It takes some adjusting to fix the bleed and to me that is what a professional does. Color bleed or lather bleed from a "popular" soap company sounds lazy azz to me. JMO

Thank you

I looked down and my legs were green in the shower and I was all sorts of weirded out 😂

I appreciate you guys weighing in!

• Like 1