Where to start? Help me pick a plan for CS.

TallTayl

ever want to start something, then become paralyzed by the though of all the different ways to start? That sums up my big ideas for craftserver. 

if I were to start up the CraftServer learning series for realz, what would you want to learn about first? 
would you want videos? 

tell me what would make your day. Since most of us are on lockdown we might as well make it count. 

• Like 2

Things I'd like to learn more about are B&B crafting related.  Different ingredients and what they bring to the product is something I'm currently trying to learn more about.  But for the masses, someone needs to debunk all the myths surrounding candle making.  Safety standards, GMP, labeling requirements....things like that would be great too.

• Like 2

Soaping: HP, CP, master batching lye solutions, HP liquid soap bases, etc. Suggesting this because I was recently bit by the soaping bug and got a couple books about it but have yet to take the dive and get supplies. Still anxious about working indoors with lye, but HP looks interesting.

Technical stuffs. What is syneresis? What are fisheyes? What products can be made in gel form and what are the differences between the more common gellants? What plastic to use for product packaging?

Dimethicone/silicone-free hair products. Pomade and forming creams, in particular.

The process of having a fragrance duped. What is a "code"?

3 hours ago, TallTayl said:

ever want to start something, then become paralyzed by the though of all the different ways to start?

if I were to start up the CraftServer learning series for realz, what would you want to learn about first? 
would you want videos? 

To answer your questions...

- Yes, too many options makes me paralyzed or procrastinate. 😵 Best thing to do is break big things down into small tasks and then move to the next after each one is completed.

- "High Quality" candle making of course, since there is so much junk out there. You could start with the basics for each topic or step and build on it from there.

Such as: knowing what supplies to buy and where, how to make a good candle, how to properly wick and test, how to document your work, how to properly label, how to properly package and store, safety requirements, business requirements, etc. All this info should already be on here, it just needs more organization or a better road map, maybe?

- Yes, I love graphics, photos and videos. Draw me a picture. 😄

Edited by Laura C

I forgot to add something. I know this is "the community for all things scented" but what about other crafts? I'd like to learn about pottery and general throwing (is that the right term?). Perfect time of the year to learn how to make garden ollas...

I guess it depends on the target audience.  It's probably useful to segment "beginners" as it's own topic, but everything else by purpose. 

I'm of the opinion that a masterclass series focused on each type of candle (container, votive, pillar, tart, artsy) would be the entry point for everything besides beginner.  Beginner is a series that I imagine covers a little of every topic in relative sequence.

Using container candles as an example...

Container Candles Series

Lesson 1: Choosing Supplies

Lesson 2: Craftsmanship Theory

Lesson 3: Safety & Performance Testing

Every lesson has articles and videos meant to be completed in any order (for that lesson) that review general recommendations by this community, why, and how to implement.