The Common Scents?

Belinda

I've ordered tons of Type fragrances from The Common Scents. I don't use them in wax, but I do remember someone on here a while back asking the same question. If I recall correctly, some said that they saw no reason why they couldn't be and some recommended contacting them to ask. They (usually Liam) are typically pretty good at replying by the following business day.

Their Type oils are usually spot on for scent, however, I do find that some are a bit weak and others are quite strong.. hit or miss in the strength department really. I currently have several of their oils on hand and have sampled dozens, if you have a question about any particular oil/s, feel free to ask. If I'm able, I cant atleast give you my opinion on scent/strength.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dreamer said:

I've ordered tons of Type fragrances from The Common Scents. I don't use them in wax, but I do remember someone on here a while back asking the same question. If I recall correctly, some said that they saw no reason why they couldn't be and some recommended contacting them to ask. They (usually Liam) are typically pretty good at replying by the following business day.

Their Type oils are usually spot on for scent, however, I do find that some are a bit weak and others are quite strong.. hit or miss in the strength department really. I currently have several of their oils on hand and have sampled dozens, if you have a question about any particular oil/s, feel free to ask. If I'm able, I cant atleast give you my opinion on scent/strength.

Thank you so much! I was more interested in the unisex or masculine scents. Have you tried any of those? Those are usually what sell for me even though I don't care that much for them LOL!

• Like 1

Ones I have, had, or sampled from TCS that I can recall off the top of my head...  *I copied the notes from various sites.

Tom Ford Black Orchid (Unisex) Type - Oil strength-Strong.

This is a pretty popular fragrance. Something about this dark fragrance intrigues me, I find I really enjoy smelling it.

NotesTop notes are French jasmine, black truffle, ylang-ylang,  black currant, and effervescent citrus. In the floral-spicy heart, dwells Tom Ford's black orchid, more imaginary than real, and the base combines woodsy notes (patchouli and sandalwood), dark chocolate, incense, amber, vetiver, vanilla, and balsam.

Aquolina Blue Sugar (Men) Type - Oil strength-Strong.

I love this fragrance. To me, this is a dark, sweet fragrance that leans masculine, but could easily be unisex. If sweet cotton candy could be manly, it would be Blue Sugar.

Notes: Top notes are mandarin orange and bergamot; middle notes are coriander, patchouli, lavender, licorice and cotton candy; base notes are tonka bean, star anise and cedar.

Black Butter (Unisex) - Oil Strength-Moderate to Strong.

My boyfriend really likes this one. To me, this is a pleasing fragrance that leans more masculine, with just a hint of sweetness and a sexy edginess about it. Although TCS does not list the notes for Black Butter, I found them at Scent Aroma Oils.

Notes: Hints of buttery mango and vanilla. It's made from Burnt sugar and sandalwood mingled with notes of patchouli and licorice and vanilla.

Baccarat Rouge 540 (Unisex) Type - Oil Strength-Weak

I love this fragrance, but not TCS's version of it, as I found it very weak and smelling more like Ariana Grande's Cloud than BR540. While BR540 is unisex, some claim it does lean a bit more feminine. I have not yet tried purchasing it elsewhere.

Notes: Top notes are jasmine and saffron; middle notes are amberwood and ambergris; base notes are fir resin and cedar.

Tom Ford Sahara Noir (Unisex) Type - Oil Strength-Weak to Moderate.

To me, this a dry, incensy, desert-like fragrance. I envision sand dunes and incense. I like it.

Notes: Frankincense, cistus essence, bitter orange, Jordanian calamus (an oasis sweet grass), cypress, cinnamon, papyrus extract, jasmine, beeswax absolute, amber, ambreinol, benzoin, vanilla, cedar, agarwood, and balsam.

Antonio Banderas Seduction In Black (Men) Type - Oil Strength-Strong

One of my boyfriend's favorites. Dark and clean at the same time.

Notes: Top notes of blackcurrant and bergamot. Heart notes turn up the heat with the spiced collection of nutmeg, cardamom and coriander. The base notes conclude with musk, Virginia cedar, amber and tonka bean.

Tom Ford Velvet Orchid (Women) Type - Oil Strength-Strong

Even though this is marketed to women, I believe it can easily be unisex. Reminds me of a softer version of Black Orchid.

Notes: Bergamot, mandarin, honey, vanilla, orange blossom, rose, jasmine, narcissus, magnolia, Cattleya leopoldii orchid, heliotrope, rum, suede, labdanum, sandalwood, and myrrh.

Viktor & Rolf Spicebomb (Men) Type - Oil Strength-Moderate

A popular fragrance. Spicy and clean, however, less spicy than I had imagined, judging by the notes.

Notes: Chili, saffron, leather, tobacco, vetiver, bergamot, grapefruit, elemi and pink pepper.

Tom Ford Noir de Noir (Unisex) Type - Oil Strength-Moderate

I haven't yet decided if I personally like it or not lol. I think it leans a bit more masculine, mature even.

Notes: Black rose, Patchouli, Black truffle, Vanilla, Oud, Saffron, Oakmoss, Floral notes.

Dragon's Blood - Oil Strength-Strong

I, personally, don't like TCS's Dragon's Blood at all. I find it way too fresh, citrusy and floral, as opposed to the deep, earthy resinous I am accustomed to.

Notes: I have no idea.

Jo Malone Myrrh & Tonka (Unisex) Type - Oil Strength-Weak

I really like this fragrance, it's soft and incensy, but the sample I purchased from TCS was weak imo. I'd like to purchase it elsewhere and compare.

Notes: Top note is lavender; middle note is myrrh; base notes are vanilla, tonka bean and almond.

Bvlgari (Bulgari) Black (Unisex) Type - Oil Strength-Strong

Imo, this leans more masculine than unisex. Smells like cheap men's cologne to me.

Notes: Top notes of rose, green tea and bergamot create a sweet aura that transitions to a heart of jasmine, sandalwood and cedar.

I have sampled many more, but it's hard to remember my thoughts on them atm. I will definitely update my reply should I recall a particular fragrance.

I know that Tom Ford fragrances are popular (and typically strong in oil form), so I'd suggest sampling a few of those, TCS has several. If there's a particular fragrance/s you're interested in and would like to see the notes & look over some reviews to determine popularity (higher chances of sell), look up the fragrance on Fragrantica. 🙂

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/23/2020 at 12:55 PM, Dreamer said:

Tom Ford Sahara Noir (Unisex) Type - Oil Strength-Weak to Moderate.

To me, this a dry, incensy, desert-like fragrance. I envision sand dunes and incense. I like it.

Notes: Frankincense, cistus essence, bitter orange, Jordanian calamus (an oasis sweet grass), cypress, cinnamon, papyrus extract, jasmine, beeswax absolute, amber, ambreinol, benzoin, vanilla, cedar, agarwood, and balsam.

Good gravy, I may make an order just for a couple gallons of this.....

• Like 1

On a related note, have any of your tried Hayward Enterprises?  I poke around on Fragrantica a lot and I've seen them brought up.  They mention "Candle & Craft Oil" but I've not bought any from them (yet).  I saw some high praise for their designer fragrance dupes, and a lot of perfume fans are noticing reformulations of much-loved designer brands and have started looking at dupes like this.  Even if we have the money and are perfectly willing to pay designer prices, it's useless if your favorite scents have changed significantly or are discontinued.

https://www.haywardenterprises.com/

On 4/18/2020 at 7:04 PM, Darbla said:

On a related note, have any of your tried Hayward Enterprises?  I poke around on Fragrantica a lot and I've seen them brought up.  They mention "Candle & Craft Oil" but I've not bought any from them (yet).  I saw some high praise for their designer fragrance dupes, and a lot of perfume fans are noticing reformulations of much-loved designer brands and have started looking at dupes like this.  Even if we have the money and are perfectly willing to pay designer prices, it's useless if your favorite scents have changed significantly or are discontinued.

https://www.haywardenterprises.com/

I've ordered from them several times and have been pleased with everything I've gotten but I only get their perfume dupes. I've never tried any of their fragrance oils.

• 5 months later...

So... I have a few comments & situations to share which the jury is still out on whether we will be purchasing further from TCS now or in the future. My hubby has been ordering for 10+ years and swears by them; until recently that is. Over the last several months something drastically has changed and it's quite frustrating for someone who is relying on them to provide consistency with the fragrances since we resale them to our customers. At the moment I have several bottles that we have paid for that are not the correct scent in comparison to all of the previous bottles we have purchased. I have taken pictures and waited patiently for their Fragrance Technician to send a replacement; however, the replacement is still wrong so I'm thinking or wondering did they lose a key person who has all of their spot on recipes? We were told that we have to pay for the shipping back of these fragrances to have them tested to see what's what... clearly not what we want to hear when we have already paid to FedEX them (yup very high shipping costs) to get our scents priority. If you do not use FedEx Priority 2 day and go with regular Ground it can take up to 2 weeks for your products to arrive. We ordered on 09/13/2020 and did not receive it till 09/28/2020. That's seems to be the norm from our experience when we do use ground.

We are currently trying out Hayward Enterprises after I had a nice discussion with the owner about some of our concerns we are experiencing with TCS. (I did not share their name but referenced them as our go to vendor.) She did ask if I gave them an opportunity to remedy the situation and I, of course, have done that very patiently AND very calmly. I am still calm but realize that being our first choice to go to is going to be altered if Hayward delivers with the order I placed with them. I also realize that Hayward offers many more scents than TCS so we have ordered the incorrect ones to see how they compare as well as about a dozen of the scents we have wanted to carry but couldn't get. We ordered on Monday, 09/29/20 and our shipment will be here on Saturday, 10/03/20 without having to upgrade our shipping preferences and pay a much higher price to have expedited. I will say that Hayward's pricing was higher but if their quality, customer service and shipping is excellent then I go to the old saying you get what you pay for. I have owned many businesses and valued customers is top priority in my opinion. We rely on our vendors to support and provide great quality in every aspect; our customers feel the same about us. When we have a favorite fragrance of theirs that is not what they have been purchasing it falls on us; we lose them as customers and they tell everyone... believe me it is a telephone tag out there today so there is very little room for disappointment. We totally understand mishaps happen and we get that shipping out large volumes an error occasionally takes place but for us in the last 5 months we have had 5 bottles that are incorrect; that's 4 too many.

We are an honest, fair and ethical business which is why we are growing in leaps; however, when we have these unfortunate circumstances with suppliers, it truly does make it harder on us. We have lost monetarily, marketing efforts since we can not sell the incorrect products and I'm sure a customer here or there. I'm not sure of anyone else's experiences but I do know that we are sincerely disappointed. We are praying for Saturday. :-)

I would love to hear if anyone else is having a similar experience now or in the past and how you were able to remedy it positively?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...