6006 and HTP wicking issues. FRUSTRATED.

Currently trying to move from zincs to HTP, not a fan of zincs for various reasons. Im using a 9oz straight side jar and using 8% fragrance load. I’ve gotten all the way down to an HTP52 and still having large flames in the beginning of the burn that eventually mushroom and turn into a much smaller flame. Some fragrances more prone than others. For instance, Candle Sciences Clean Cotton and Lovespell seem to do relatively well, melt pool and throw is satisfactory and not much mushrooming, though the flame is a little high towards the end of 4 hour burns, then on the other hand, Caribbean teakwood has a high flame throughout that eventually mushrooms and decreases in size. Should I wick down even further from a 52? I figured with this fragrance being a heavy one, I’d have to wick up? So confused. These small HTP’s are generally for tiny votive like candles and still seem to be too much for 6006. 

Hi @dustinryan2010. I don't have experience with 6006 wax. Sounds like you've ran the full gamut of HTP wicks and have exhausted your options. Would be a good time for you to try another type of wick. Have you tried performa, premier or cotton core wicks? Those are some of my favorites. 

9 minutes ago, Laura C said:

Hi @dustinryan2010. I don't have experience with 6006 wax. Sounds like you've ran the full gamut of HTP wicks and have exhausted your options. Would be a good time for you to try another type of wick. Have you tried performa, premier or cotton core wicks? Those are some of my favorites. 

I have not yet, I think I’m going to order a Premier sample pack from Flaming Candle though! I’m not sure what else to try 

• Like 1

Don't trim the wick to 1/4 when you first start it, leave it longer so it has enough wick to curl over and start burning itself already. That usually get's over the problems starting off. 

Still, you're not going to get a candle to self-trim well unless the wick REALLY likes the fragrance at 8%. Especially when you get to burning the bottom part of the candle, it get's real fun there. 

The only time I use 6006 is when I'm double wicking in a big container, I love the HT with dual zinc wicks, just not a fan of it in single wick candles.

Edited by ErronB

12 hours ago, bfroberts said:

While you're at it, you might want to try Eco and LX wicks in your 6006.  Also, the longer 6006 cures, the better it burns, regardless of wick type.

I just made some wick less testers that I’m gonna let sit for 2 weeks. Ordered premier and eco sample packs. Hoping I can get this figured out! 

16 hours ago, ErronB said:

Don't trim the wick to 1/4 when you first start it, leave it longer so it has enough wick to curl over and start burning itself already. That usually get's over the problems starting off. 

Still, you're not going to get a candle to self-trim well unless the wick REALLY likes the fragrance at 8%. Especially when you get to burning the bottom part of the candle, it get's real fun there. 

The only time I use 6006 is when I'm double wicking in a big container, I love the HT with dual zinc wicks, just not a fan of it in single wick candles.

Funny you say that, I literally was having to keep the wicks 1/2 in long on the first burn just to get a decent sized flame in the beginning, trimming to 1/4 left me with a PUNY little flame that took a long time to grow to anything substantial enough in size. I’m hoping premiers will be a better choice, more sizes to “fine tune”. 

6 hours ago, dustinryan2010 said:

Funny you say that, I literally was having to keep the wicks 1/2 in long on the first burn just to get a decent sized flame in the beginning, trimming to 1/4 left me with a PUNY little flame that took a long time to grow to anything substantial enough in size. I’m hoping premiers will be a better choice, more sizes to “fine tune”. 

Yeah, HTP act weird to me too if I do the whole 1/4 inch thing. Premier are always a 'nearly there' for me, can get a pretty decent burn but I feel like the HT isn't as good as it could be. Last time I switched out a Premier for an LX and the difference was very noticeable. I guess it depends on the fragrance etc.

Ah... the joys of wicking. Let us know what you end up using.

9 hours ago, ErronB said:

Yeah, HTP act weird to me too if I do the whole 1/4 inch thing. Premier are always a 'nearly there' for me, can get a pretty decent burn but I feel like the HT isn't as good as it could be. Last time I switched out a Premier for an LX and the difference was very noticeable. I guess it depends on the fragrance etc.

Ah... the joys of wicking. Let us know what you end up using.

I have some LX’s too but I feel like the 14 is almost still too much sometimes? Mushrooming large bouncing flame etc. 

14 hours ago, dustinryan2010 said:

I have some LX’s too but I feel like the 14 is almost still too much sometimes? Mushrooming large bouncing flame etc. 

I can only use the 12's in small tins etc, I know what you mean. I don't understand LX wicks enough to get them to self-trim, the bigger ones always just mushroom and grow bigger even at 6% fragrance load in no matter what wax I'm using. Not sure if they have to start the burn at a magic length or something.

10 hours ago, ErronB said:

I can only use the 12's in small tins etc, I know what you mean. I don't understand LX wicks enough to get them to self-trim, the bigger ones always just mushroom and grow bigger even at 6% fragrance load in no matter what wax I'm using. Not sure if they have to start the burn at a magic length or something.

Yes the mushrooming can get bad, I had originally started off testing with an 18 per recommendation and wow, huge shrooms.  6006 is a monster

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dustinryan2010 said:

Yes the mushrooming can get bad, I had originally started off testing with an 18 per recommendation and wow, huge shrooms.  6006 is a monster

I've used a bunch of 6006, and IME it has gone through a subtle change over time.  I originally wicked it with zinc wicks exclusively, but they no longer seem to be a great option.  The newer 6006 wax I've purchased seems more viscous, and a little harder to burn.  I did some really extensive testing last year to find the best wick for it, and I landed on Eco wicks.  LX wicks were my second choice.  The Eco's burn hotter and seem to be able to handle 6006 better than some of the other options.  They do not always self-trim, but the burned wick can easily be broken off before relighting, and it usually breaks off perfectly to start the next burn.
Personally, I don't care for CD or HTP in this wax, but the right combo can burn very nicely.  Eco is the more consistent choice, and one size fits most FO's.  
Worth noting:  I use 6% FO, and cure for 2 weeks.  6006 burns better after a good cure, regardless of wick type.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

57 minutes ago, bfroberts said:

I've used a bunch of 6006, and IME it has gone through a subtle change over time.  I originally wicked it with zinc wicks exclusively, but they no longer seem to be a great option.  The newer 6006 wax I've purchased seems more viscous, and a little harder to burn.  I did some really extensive testing last year to find the best wick for it, and I landed on Eco wicks.  LX wicks were my second choice.  The Eco's burn hotter and seem to be able to handle 6006 better than some of the other options.  They do not always self-trim, but the burned wick can easily be broken off before relighting, and it usually breaks off perfectly to start the next burn.
Personally, I don't care for CD or HTP in this wax, but the right combo can burn very nicely.  Eco is the more consistent choice, and one size fits most FO's.  
Worth noting:  I use 6% FO, and cure for 2 weeks.  6006 burns better after a good cure, regardless of wick type.

I'll have to dig out some Eco's again, what sizes were your most common for the flint jars just under 3 inches? Around a 4?

I'm messing with the weird round tube wicks in 6006 at the moment, kind of weird that they're working pretty good considering how thin the wood is.

Edited by ErronB

39 minutes ago, ErronB said:

I'll have to dig out some Eco's again, what sizes were your most common for the flint jars just under 3 inches? Around a 4?

I'm messing with the weird round tube wicks in 6006 at the moment, kind of weird that they're working pretty good considering how thin the wood is.

Not sure about that jar, but the CS wick guide is pretty accurate in terms of 6006 & Eco wicks, IME.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ErronB said:

I think CS recommends an Eco 2 in a 9oz flint jar. You’re testing the spiral wicks form wooden wick? How are they coming along? I’ve been curious to give those a shot! 

4 hours ago, bfroberts said:

I just started this past year so can’t speak on its original state but I will say I don’t feel like zincs are strong enough, some fragrances really make the flame struggle and stay low, I ordered both Eco and Premier sample packs, gonna give these candles 10 more days then rip into them. You’re Bonnie from the Facebook candle group aren’t you? 😝🤓

40 minutes ago, dustinryan2010 said:

I think CS recommends an Eco 2 in a 9oz flint jar. You’re testing the spiral wicks form wooden wick? How are they coming along? I’ve been curious to give those a shot! 

I have spirals coming, but I'm messing with the tube ones which I'm presuming are the same but smaller. They are working pretty good at low fragrance loads, no issues lighting them or staying lit which has always been a problem with using their other wicks since they changed the wood types. I think they were originally meant to be used over the top of a regular wick just for an aesthetic touch. 

• 1 month later...
On 3/22/2020 at 8:46 PM, ErronB said:

I have spirals coming, but I'm messing with the tube ones which I'm presuming are the same but smaller. They are working pretty good at low fragrance loads, no issues lighting them or staying lit which has always been a problem with using their other wicks since they changed the wood types. I think they were originally meant to be used over the top of a regular wick just for an aesthetic touch. 

I have seen some using the tubes alone and some with a regular cotton wick as suggested by WW.  Are you using it without a cotton wick?

On 4/26/2020 at 9:55 PM, lovelyscents said:

I have seen some using the tubes alone and some with a regular cotton wick as suggested by WW.  Are you using it without a cotton wick?

I was using them as-is, no wick inside. I only use the booster variety now in .03 thicknesses and up because they're the only types that consistently stay lit and don't mess up. The spirals are basically just bigger versions of the tubes, I tested them and even with their own coco soy wax the flames were huge, total fail I don't know why they bothered.

• Thanks 1

• 8 months later...
On 3/19/2020 at 10:55 AM, dustinryan2010 said:

Currently trying to move from zincs to HTP, not a fan of zincs for various reasons. Im using a 9oz straight side jar and using 8% fragrance load. I’ve gotten all the way down to an HTP52 and still having large flames in the beginning of the burn that eventually mushroom and turn into a much smaller flame. Some fragrances more prone than others. For instance, Candle Sciences Clean Cotton and Lovespell seem to do relatively well, melt pool and throw is satisfactory and not much mushrooming, though the flame is a little high towards the end of 4 hour burns, then on the other hand, Caribbean teakwood has a high flame throughout that eventually mushrooms and decreases in size. Should I wick down even further from a 52? I figured with this fragrance being a heavy one, I’d have to wick up? So confused. These small HTP’s are generally for tiny votive like candles and still seem to be too much for 6006. 

Dustin, Just curious... which size zinc core wick were you currently using in that jar?