Can the Perfect Wick Affect Hot Throw?

Thanks to @TallTayl, I have been working on getting each of my pint wide-mouth canning jars wicked with acceptable hangup, little or no mushrooms, warm/not hot jar, and good hot throw.   I am using Premier wicks and C-1 wax (which I thought people were saying needed to be wicked up; I could be wrong).  Anyway, I now am making test candles with some ok hangup, no full melt pool right away, good hot throw.  With some fragrances, I have wicked down 3 wick sizes, but still thinking I could go down another size.  My question is, is there a point where the wick size used becomes too small and affects the hot throw?  Hope I explained this right.

GoldieMN

• Like 1

The range of performance depends so much on all of your variables.  Wicking too far down of course can change hot throw, whether early on or at the end.  You just need to define your range of acceptable and decide on a case by case.  Most of your customers will be more sensitive to the FO and may be thrilled with things we consider “too weak”. 

so happy you are achieving success!

• Like 1

Not to drastically change/hijack the subject, but you made me think.  The "perfect candle" is such an interesting subject.

In your intro you mention a variety of things... MP, throw strength, hangups.  What we call perfect depends on context and goals.  For my relative that wants to bake in FO?  They probably don't care about anything more than the HT and scent (meanwhile their candle has mushrooms that would make the 60's jealous).  Conversely, my fellow makers might care much more about melt pool characteristics and a long lasting burn life instead of optimizing the HT for an auditorium!

And is it perfect for the customer, the maker, or the at-home crafter that "just wanted to be successful" at even making the darn thing?

That's one of the things we should love about this trade/craft/muse.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Kevin Fischer  Thanks for the response.  What I meant was the perfect candle that meet MY needs which are:  Good-great hot throw with a jar that doesn't get hot.  As I kept going down, down, down with wick size, I started wondering if at some point it would affect the hot throw.  I don't like big mushrooms but can live with them.  I don't care if the flame flickers.    I only mentioned hangups and melt pools in order to give people an idea of what I have been looking at in testing.  "Long-lasting burn"?  Sheesh, hadn't even considered that. 🙃

Right now I'm getting kind of sick of testing (18 fragrances).  No patience for a candle that doesn't throw in first five-hour burn. Actually working through the hundred+ samples just so I can destash. :)

GoldieMN