What’s wrong with my 4630

Yes Candlewic did respond, to give actual rates rather than just on website which is exorbitant. I’m on East coast and want sample of wax but the shipping was liked double of the sample. Much higher than other websites for shipping. I have crossed them off my list because of shipping costs.

Candlewic does offer CBL 125 by the 51 pound case for only $112, shipping included. I'm sure that deal doesn't count if you add on other products, but for 51 pounds of wax, that's only $30 in shipping.

I do agree for shipping regular orders, their prices are pretty lousy. Why is the FedEx option like half the cost of the UPS?

I would definitely reach out to them and see if you could work something out for shipping samples. They are very nice people. I'm fortunate that I can drive up there a couple times a year and load up my car. The guys at the warehouse are awesome.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for reaching sending those photos over. I really appreciate it!

We definitely see what you mean regarding the swirling on the surface. You'll want to make sure that you're melting the complete surface of the candle to help that top layer reharden smoothly. The swirling is usually the result of air escaping the wax, along with the wax cooling at an uneven rate. I encounter this fairly often in my candles and making sure that I remelt the surface from edge to edge usually helps me achieve those smooth tops we all like to see! Additionally, we generally recommend keeping your workspace between 68-74 degrees for the best results. Allowing your candles to cool on a cooling rack rather than a solid surface will also help your candles cool at a more even rate.

The shrinking you're seeing around the wick is an unfortunately common occurrence with paraffin wax. I certainly understand wanting to retain a perfect first pour, and we find that lowering your pour temperature and preheating your containers helps retain the best results from the initial pour! I understand that you've tried a range of pouring temperatures, but you may benefit from lowering your pour temperature just a little bit more in increments of 5 degrees and making note of any improvements in your results. You can easily preheat your glassware in a warm oven on the lowest setting, just be sure not to heat your containers over 100°F and use caution when handling warm containers. Preheating your containers bridges the temperature gap between the wax and your jars and thus, helps minimize shrinking in the process. 

I hope this information helps a bit! Please feel free to let me know if we can assist you any further. Have a wonderful day!

Best,

Alejandro
CandleScience Support
www.candlescience.com

They say they encounter this problem fairly often. Is this really how this wax behaves to the rest of you guys and gals? I can pour 4627 and get a perfect candle every time, except impossible to wick without mushrooms, I pour 4786 knowing I have to re pour and can wick this in my sleep with a perfectly smooth top every time, but 4630 seems like all the forces of the universe need to come together to make a candle. Would be better if they just said I had a bad batch of wax and refunded me. Oh well there goes $140

Edited by CaptnKush

I don't really think you are experiencing anything outside of the norm for 4630.  I get the swirling often, and it's been that way for years.  Also shrinkage when pouring at higher temps.  I also get the swirling sometimes with 6006.  Both of those waxes are "one pour under optimal conditions" type waxes, and I've never quite figured out the optimal conditions.  

2 hours ago, bfroberts said:

I don't really think you are experiencing anything outside of the norm for 4630.  I get the swirling often, and it's been that way for years.  Also shrinkage when pouring at higher temps.  I also get the swirling sometimes with 6006.  Both of those waxes are "one pour under optimal conditions" type waxes, and I've never quite figured out the optimal conditions.  

Well that stinks, I really thought this was 4627 in slab form like they claim.  Guess I will just keep messing with it here and there. I wish all slabs were as soft as it is  :(

On 3/23/2020 at 6:20 PM, CaptnKush said:

Well that stinks, I really thought this was 4627 in slab form like they claim.  Guess I will just keep messing with it here and there. I wish all slabs were as soft as it is  :(

What if you were to try a mix of 4627 and 4630? 4627 is a pain to work with (soft and sticky) but it really is a nice wax. The one thing that's nice about 4627 is that it rarely changes. I used to have issues with 4630 a couple years ago. Sometimes it would be soft, and sometimes firm. Sometimes it would come to me really dirty, because they don't wrap it in the box it comes in. 

1 hour ago, Jeana said:

What if you were to try a mix of 4627 and 4630? 4627 is a pain to work with (soft and sticky) but it really is a nice wax. The one thing that's nice about 4627 is that it rarely changes. I used to have issues with 4630 a couple years ago. Sometimes it would be soft, and sometimes firm. Sometimes it would come to me really dirty, because they don't wrap it in the box it comes in. 

No I haven't tried mixing them because the reason I was trying the 4630 in the first place was to get away from the 4627 because I get tired of scooping it out of the bag, and everything I read on it was that it was 4627 only in slab form. To me its completely different. Even colors differently. Maybe its just me. :D

3 hours ago, CaptnKush said:

No I haven't tried mixing them because the reason I was trying the 4630 in the first place was to get away from the 4627 because I get tired of scooping it out of the bag, and everything I read on it was that it was 4627 only in slab form. To me its completely different. Even colors differently. Maybe its just me. :D

It’s not just you. I think they are different too. I’ve never heard anyone say they are the same. I’ve been tempted to go back to 4630 because it’s easier, but after seeing this post it reminds me how it changes now and then. 4627 is the better wax of the two.

• Like 1

I just used the last of my 4630, sticking to 4627 for the paraffin side of things. As messy as it is, I've never had to adjust any wicking, love how consistent it is. 

Plus, CandleScience have never wanted to help me with dodgy batches of wax. If I get broken jars they just send me a new case without hesitation, but wax..... I've always been screwed (not that it's happened a lot, but still). That's why I shop elsewhere nowadays. 

Edited by ErronB
  • Like 2