What’s wrong with my 4630

That looks like something mine did a few batches ago, I just ended up going over them with a heat gun because I couldn't figure out what's going on.

Fast forward to this last block I just received, literally none of my self-trimming wicks are working, I expect a variance now and again up and down a size but there's something wrong.

Looks like I'm done with 4630 for now, back to 6006 / pro-blend for containers.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Bummer, just my luck getting a bad batch on my first purchase. I did heat gun them and still you could see this pattern. This was supposed to be 1 pour but even when I pour at 160 it sinks bad in the middle. O well back to my 4627 for now.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CaptnKush said:

Bummer, just my luck getting a bad batch on my first purchase. I did heat gun them and still you could see this pattern. This was supposed to be 1 pour but even when I pour at 160 it sinks bad in the middle. O well back to my 4627 for now.

Try pouring it right after you mix the FO and see what happens.

I have poured 180, 170, and 160 and all pours sunk down and needed to be topped. The topping was the problem. Even though wax sunk down it was smooth but after I poured that little amount to level it, it made that textured pattern. I have tried everything.

How cold is it in your candle room? If the base wax is too cold (that is a relative term) the over pour and even heat gunning will create different textures.  Happens with soy all the time. Editing to add, additives in the various blends like paraffin and soy all crystallize at different temps and rates.  The temp of the main candle can deco impact overpour and heat gun appearances.

4 hours ago, TallTayl said:

How cold is it in your candle room? If the base wax is too cold (that is a relative term) the over pour and even heat gunning will create different textures.  Happens with soy all the time. Editing to add, additives in the various blends like paraffin and soy all crystallize at different temps and rates.  The temp of the main candle can deco impact overpour and heat gun appearances.

Temp was about 76-78 that day, but its happened weeks before, I just hadn't posted on it and those temps would be anywhere from 73-78 for the first slab I used. Heres another thing I should mention, when I added any amount of this to 4786, it gives the 4786 that same pattern, so I think maybe my batch just has something wrong with it.

• Sad 1

Here’s what I think. Having poured five million test candles. Some will look funky without the wick. Once you put wick it they can be back to normal. Try that same candle wax and pour with wick and see if it changes. That photo also looks like it didn’t cool complete 

ply in middle. Did heat gun and see if it smooths out, if it does I would not get too crazy.

14 hours ago, NightLight said:

Here’s what I think. Having poured five million test candles. Some will look funky without the wick. Once you put wick it they can be back to normal. Try that same candle wax and pour with wick and see if it changes. That photo also looks like it didn’t cool complete 

ply in middle. Did heat gun and see if it smooths out, if it does I would not get too crazy.

Ok i just did this candle. Poured at 155 and it sunk about 1/2 inch then topped it today and this is how it looks. Temp in home is 74. There is no way this is normal for a 1 pour wax

FE128E70-E95E-4B1F-B289-857108812CE9.jpeg

44239458-0C13-4580-A5ED-13BEA4CF9B46.jpeg

915CB64E-BDBA-4779-85A9-4343C42268BE.jpeg

3 hours ago, CaptnKush said:

Ok i just did this candle. Poured at 155 and it sunk about 1/2 inch then topped it today and this is how it looks. Temp in home is 74. There is no way this is normal for a 1 pour wax

FE128E70-E95E-4B1F-B289-857108812CE9.jpeg

44239458-0C13-4580-A5ED-13BEA4CF9B46.jpeg

915CB64E-BDBA-4779-85A9-4343C42268BE.jpeg

From the pictures, did the 2nd pour sink as well or am I looking at it wrong?

Ok a/b testing. Now it could be the dye. I just poured testers with dye, and those with dye do change some. Pour same fragrance no dye and see what happens. You do have a dip. Me thinks dye load. If it pours okay without dye, you choice would be to heat gun top to level.

1 hour ago, NightLight said:

Ok a/b testing. Now it could be the dye. I just poured testers with dye, and those with dye do change some. Pour same fragrance no dye and see what happens. You do have a dip. Me thinks dye load. If it pours okay without dye, you choice would be to heat gun top to level.

I know for a fact it isnt the liquid dye load. I had 3 other candles I colored by only scraping the sides of a dye block to achieve just a slight hint of color and it did the same thing. I am not even going to bother with this wax anymore. This is the only wax that gives me this problem. Its not worth my time. I have gone through 2 slabs already and every result is the same. The one I blended above with 4627 and 2281 to me was far superior to this wax away. I was just getting tired of scooping out of a bag and wanted to make things a bit easier. I also did use a heat gun and the pattern still stayed there.

Edited by CaptnKush
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, CaptnKush said:

I know for a fact it isnt the liquid dye load. I had 3 other candles I colored by only scraping the sides of a dye block to achieve just a slight hint of color and it did the same thing. I am not even going to bother with this wax anymore. This is the only wax that gives me this problem. Its not worth my time. I have gone through 2 slabs already and every result is the same. The one I blended above with 4627 and 2281 to me was far superior to this wax away. I was just getting tired of scooping out of a bag and wanted to make things a bit easier. I also did use a heat gun and the pattern still stayed there.

I really have to wonder if it wasn’t mis labeled. I don’t remember any of my 4630 being that bad in any of my tests. Those look exactly like the 4786 I’m playing with right now right down to the way the wax sinks down all  rubbery like around the wick. 

on the plus side, no cavities amirite?

14 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

I really have to wonder if it wasn’t mis labeled. I don’t remember any of my 4630 being that bad in any of my tests. Those look exactly like the 4786 I’m playing with right now right down to the way the wax sinks down all  rubbery like around the wick. 

on the plus side, no cavities amirite?

I agree it does look like 4786 on a first pour, but the slab is soft as hell and sticky.  I cut it with a drywall knife easily. These wax companies need better quality control to put out the same product every time you buy it. I always read that 4630 is  4627 in slab form, but color wise the 4627 is identical looking to 4786 while this 4630 I have colors like there is a small amount of soy in it.

• Like 1

I know Candlewic's shipping isn't good for most people, but I just want to put it out there that their blends are high quality and extremely consistent. I have been using their CBL 125 for several years now. It is very similar to 4630 and just a dream to work with. All the cases I have ordered look, feel, and perform the same over several years. Same with the 141 and the 129.

I don't work for them, or get any kickbacks, I am just a customer who is very impressed with their product. 😁

I always feel a little guilty when I read about the struggle with other waxes. Knock on wood, I have never had a problem.

That being said, I have an entire bag of HTP wick from them that are unusable, because the wick pulls out of the tab. 🙄

I suppose no one can be perfect! 🙃

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sarah S said:

I know Candlewic's shipping isn't good for most people, but I just want to put it out there that their blends are high quality and extremely consistent. I have been using their CBL 125 for several years now. It is very similar to 4630 and just a dream to work with. All the cases I have ordered look, feel, and perform the same over several years. Same with the 141 and the 129.

I don't work for them, or get any kickbacks, I am just a customer who is very impressed with their product. 😁

I always feel a little guilty when I read about the struggle with other waxes. Knock on wood, I have never had a problem.

That being said, I have an entire bag of HTP wick from them that are unusable, because the wick pulls out of the tab. 🙄

I suppose no one can be perfect! 🙃

I wanted to try their wax but the $114 shipping for 1 box of wax isn't  going to work for me :D

• Sad 1

I wrote them and complained. If you write them about placing order and telling them the shipping issue prices they will adjust. Don’t you think they would work on the shipping problem? I complained to Fillmore and now the shipping is more reasonable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NightLight said:

I wrote them and complained. If you write them about placing order and telling them the shipping issue prices they will adjust. Don’t you think they would work on the shipping problem? I complained to Fillmore and now the shipping is more reasonable.

I never even thought of doing that, I thought thats what they got charged and had no say. Either way they are in PA and I am in CA I doubt that they would reduce shipping to $50, do you think they would? Im kinda stuck with Lone Star, CS, and Aztec because they are only a couple states over and even their shipping is high.  I only know 3 in CA  and I am not interested in anything they sell except Lab & Co. I will have to message them and see. Thanks