Coronavirus and business

How do you think the virus will effect the candle and b&b industries?

Are you concerned at all?

I  was in the final stages of  launching a new candle line but the packaging company I was working with in China keeps pushing the ship date back for my samples..so yeah, change of plans there

Edited by Testing123

I have some concerns but I don't know yet how it will all play out. I have a guy in China who sources packaging for me. He's always been amazing and I was going to get his help to get several more packaging components (gift boxes, paperboard tubes, stickers, etc) BUT he came to the US for the holidays (his wife is American) and hasn't gone back yet because of Corona. I'm not sure when they will go back either. I need to talk to him and get his 2 cents on production. 

• Like 1

Buckle up for a bit I think. We get far too many things (Raw ingredients to finished goods, to meat packing) from China to ignore the supply chain disruptions. This will take a while to sort out. Buy what you reasonably can to get through your season now and prepare to be agile with your offerings.  We will get through this. 

likewise in the states, any gathering of people will be impacted.  Trade shows in Chicago have been outright canceled. That hurts many merchants and makers. 

One thing that shouldn’t have shocked me, but did, what the sheer number of people who never wash their hands. ZOMG! We soap makers should be busier than ever,lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

• 2 weeks later...

It is going to be a scary 2020.  There will be a recession, there will be many canceled events, and when there are events sales will be less that we are use to.  

I live in Buffalo, NY.  Schools are all closed till at least thru 4/12, already talk through the end of the school year.  Many local businesses will start closing   New York State, the counties and towns have all declared a State of Emergency. County Executive strongly urged the workforce to stay home.  And this is just in my area.  The reality is that this is a WORLD WIDE issue. 

Fortunately I have a day time job that I think is secure, and selling candles is a side job. 

I expect some of the gift shops I am in to be closed by the end of the year.  I expect some of my competition will lower their prices to try and sell more.

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best.  

• Like 4

Re: national and international economy, I'm sure we'll all take a hit.
Re: me personally.  It's a mess. Candles and soap are just a tiny piece of our business.  Our main business is tourism related, and we area already taking a hit in the form of cancellations to our facility, and an overall decrease in tourists to our area in general, many of which come through our doors even if they aren't lodging with us.  The hubs and I are also in the process of doing an expansion, which I realize is crazy from a financial standpoint.  But with less business, we actually have the time to get the work done.  So we are pushing through.
IDK.  It's scary times.  We have safety nets in place.  I am concerned with those who do not.  Good luck to us all!

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Local upcoming craft fairs are cancelled here, Milwaukee area, along with everything else. I look at candles like a comfort thing, like comfort food. I think people will still be purchasing and I’m guessing online stores will do well with both candles and soap, b&b products since everyone will be home. I think a lot of people will need these things as a way to de stress. The good news is, this won’t last forever. I’m already looking for silver linings!

• Like 3

They are cancelling shows and fairs here as well.  All restaurants, theaters, schools are closed.  They are starting to think schools will be closed for the remainder of the school year.   I work in a hospital, we have drive through respiratory testing running from 9 a - 12a.  I'm sure it's going to cost a lot of businesses their livelihood.   The only places winning right now are the grocery stores, bakeries and food markets, yet I can't find bread or Kleenex anywhere right now.   Fortunately I have a day job and am secure, however, my soap business will likely take a hit this year.   It will get better, just going to take time.

• Like 3

So far I have items I ordered from China last month that have not arrived and no arrival date in sight. Plus craft shows are beginning to cancel or postpone events I signed up for. 

At the moment I believe the worst is yet to come but I also believe that in a few months it will have played itself out for the time being and flare up again next season, Hopefully by then we may have vaccines. 

But my biggest concern is that even if the virus disappeared in the next month or two people may continue to be too scared to go to venues like craft shows and farmer's markets and I am thinking sales wise this is going to be a crap year.

• Like 1

Those of you selling on Etsy or elsewhere, how are you doing? Maybe this is a wake up call for those who have been considering an online store? I think once the virus is under control the market place will be booming! That’s my prediction. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, CandleRush said:

Those of you selling on Etsy or elsewhere, how are you doing? Maybe this is a wake up call for those who have been considering an online store? I think once the virus is under control the market place will be booming! That’s my prediction. 

Wholesale orders have come to a halt. I feel bad for the brick and mortars. My website is doing okay because I'm having crazy sales and investing in advertising. My niece is out of school; I've hired her to ramp up my social media. Instagram stories is key right now (we do behind the scenes, polls and questions, show ourselves packing orders with gloves on)

Edited by Testing123
  • Like 4

During all of my 8 years at the Faire my, “Prevent the Plague, Wash thy Hands” sign would get a lot of laughs. Then people would get a thoughtful look on their faces, nod, and start picking up soap to buy. 

at least one ren Faire in Arizona officially just canceled the closing 2 weeks.  That is financially catastrophic for merchants who work the other 7 weeks in anticipation of finally turning a profit the last 2 weekend. 

Sherwood Forest Faire in Tx says screw that, nerds just want to have fun and are staying open. Let’s all hope everyone is OK.  It’s not like faires are the cleanest places on a good day.  Hep A flew  through Michigan’s Faire 2 summers ago.

Sorry folx, I don’t need a truly authentic Renaissance Experience complete with diseases. The first year at ours I have some gut stuff I’m 100% certain was from filthy money privvy hands.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

With my local B&M being closed, a "stay at home" order issued for our county, and my local farmer's market being postponed, I thought I'd be hurting.  But apparently all those people at home translates to lots of online shoppers looking for a little retail therapy.  My Etsy sales are most definitely up, and  my conversion rate is running around 5%.  No complaints.  :)  

• Like 3

On 3/25/2020 at 5:55 PM, Crafty1_AJ said:

With my local B&M being closed, a "stay at home" order issued for our county, and my local farmer's market being postponed, I thought I'd be hurting.  But apparently all those people at home translates to lots of online shoppers looking for a little retail therapy.  My Etsy sales are most definitely up, and  my conversion rate is running around 5%.  No complaints.  :)  

That's great, thanks for sharing some good news. 👍

For all you trend watchers!

Local news here reported last night that "comfort" items like chocolate, ice cream, popcorn, and alcohol (and we're not talking hand sanitizer here) are seeing a big surge in sales.  I've noticed a lot of my candle orders lately are including comfort scents such as Vanilla Bean, Grandma's Kitchen, Butter Cookies, etc.  I typically sell those kinds mostly in the fall/winter, not in spring.  I'm getting feedback from  customers that this crisis and the ensuing stress are EXACTLY why they are ordering favorite comfort scents.  It's a coping mechanism when we feel like things are out of our control; we get a sense of having a bit of control when we can purchase and enjoy our favorite candles or foods.

A friend's d-i-l works at Starbucks, and even though only the drive-up is functional, she reports that people are NOT slowing down in buying their favorite comfort coffee / espresso beverages either!  Quite the reverse.  I have to admit, I'm drinking a bit more coffee than is typical for me, although it's made here at  home and not at the local drive-up window.  DH is eating more comfort foods like my homemade pizza, baked potatoes, etc.  He even requested my homemade mac & cheese the other day -- and he almost never requests special foods!  And he actually made French toast today because it sounded good to him ... we NEVER eat French toast and usually the only thing he cooks is hamburgers. LOL  Atypical times call for atypical stuff.   

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Crafty1_AJ said:

For all you trend watchers!

Local news here reported last night that "comfort" items like chocolate, ice cream, popcorn, and alcohol (and we're not talking hand sanitizer here) are seeing a big surge in sales.  I've noticed a lot of my candle orders lately are including comfort scents such as Vanilla Bean, Grandma's Kitchen, Butter Cookies, etc.  I typically sell those kinds mostly in the fall/winter, not in spring.  I'm getting feedback from  customers that this crisis and the ensuing stress are EXACTLY why they are ordering favorite comfort scents.  It's a coping mechanism when we feel like things are out of our control; we get a sense of having a bit of control when we can purchase and enjoy our favorite candles or foods.

A friend's d-i-l works at Starbucks, and even though only the drive-up is functional, she reports that people are NOT slowing down in buying their favorite comfort coffee / espresso beverages either!  Quite the reverse.  I have to admit, I'm drinking a bit more coffee than is typical for me, although it's made here at  home and not at the local drive-up window.  DH is eating more comfort foods like my homemade pizza, baked potatoes, etc.  He even requested my homemade mac & cheese the other day -- and he almost never requests special foods!  And he actually made French toast today because it sounded good to him ... we NEVER eat French toast and usually the only thing he cooks is hamburgers. LOL  Atypical times call for atypical stuff.   

That’s so funny, today I decided to dig out all my packed away comfort scents to pour candles for my family and I. I’ve also been allowing myself a drive through coffee a couple times a week because my French press sucks.
We’ve also never had so much breakfast for dinner (brenner). I can definitely understand 😊

I am encouraged by the individual sales I am getting lately, both from my regular customers and new ones. My new customers are mostly from Facebook. I've had more than one person say she is burning candles more because she is home all the time....which is the only upside I can see in all this.  :) For me anyway.  

I am doing porch pick up, so customers don't get to sniff before they buy, but I have told them they can exchange if they smell one of their purchases and don't like it.

My wholesale account had just placed a large order just as all this started. She was going to put them on her store website.  So I was glad for that order.

But I am wondering about my large fundraiser for a school sports team which was supposed to happen the 2nd week of July when school started again.  Who knows where we'll be on the quarantine by then.  Hopefully back to some semblance of normal, but who knows.

• Like 1

I actually just "sold" some tester candles to a co-worker of my wife's who has not been able to go to Homegoods to restock her candle supply during this whole insanity.  If I was smart, I would really ramp things up during this time as I'm sure she's not alone not having a source for candles, but I'm the glacier of candle and soap selling!!  

I have noticed a lot of retailers who are offering gift packages or have general marketing aimed at helping people cope that feature candles---i think candle sales will go up to make increased time at home more enjoyable...especially for those of us in the midwest on month 14 of winter 😂 haha