Hand Sanitizers?

Kerven

On 3/20/2020 at 4:59 PM, NightLight said:

I was able to use preneutralized and gel it by mixing it with glycerin, to prevent fisheyes and clumping, adding some di water then 70 percent. 
It was okay.

Carbomer is not the best for this.

This is better Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer

There are other emulsifier types you can make aquaholics.

You do not want 91 alc. it dries too fast. Sanitizing is recommended 70 percent because it dries slower, kills more.

Remember Lab Rat?

Where can you get it Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer 

Lotioncrafter's Polymulse, MakingCosmetic's GelMaker Powder, and New Directions has Ultrez 20. Those are sold out. MakeYourOwn has carbopol 940, which is sold out as well, and IDK if it would be useful in making a hand sanitizer. No ETA's, AFAIK.

I purchased 1 gallon of unscented hand sanitizer (water thin 62% alcohol) for spray bottles from Bulk Apothecary. My daughter wishes to add a free 1oz spray hand sanitizer to some of her customer's purchases.

Since it is unscented we wish to add a skin safe essential oil. Cannot find anywhere online how much essential oil to add per gallon of this hand sanitzer. Anyone know? Or have any idea on where we can find out?

Thanks!

33 minutes ago, NightLight said:

Why Don’t you ask Bulk Apothecary? 

I did and their response was "Due to our expansive product line and the vast variety of uses by our customers, we are unable to offer specific recipes or formulation guidelines." And I looked on their website for articles. Nothing.

Take 4 ounces and do .5 per cent and see how it blends. Shouldn’t be an issue, but every formulation is different. You should NOT put in a lot of essential oils! If it blends ok then you can calculate other amounts for different scents. Some eo wil cloud others will not. You have to test.

Keep in the mind that the BA sanitizers have an alcohol content of 62%, which leaves a narrow range of 0-3% for additional components without going below the minimum alcohol content of 60%.

IDK if there could be any legal issues with freebie sanitizers. I know that retail sanitizers have to go through thorough testing and federal approval before receiving the go-ahead. Whether or not that applies to nonretail... IDK. Some of our local distilleries are using their alcohol to make sanitizers, which I'm 100% certain haven't been lab tested or gov. approved given the short period between start of the pandemic and their production of sanitizers, to give away and so far there hasn't been any mention of FDA or CDC crackdown or warnings on them... although both have become a bit irritated with crafters and novices making their own sanitizers.

Edited by Kerven

• 1 month later...

I am reading through these posts and I have also read a separate discussion here about NOT adding essential oils bc it is adding a potential contaminant and might separate (and therefore make some sprays have less alcohol content) so I am left wondering about options. I have a couple gallons of hand san I bought at BA for personal family use only. Any thoughts on whether it’s ok to blend in fragrance oil at a 1% rate? And use a stick blender or what exactly should I use?

edit to add: the BA gallons don’t smell too bad to me...but a friend ordered one and says it smells horrible and can’t use it without making it smell better!

Edited by candlesinflorida

I would do .5 or 1 percent. With high alcohol content you won’t need emulsifier to keep it clear. Do not go above that rate as every addition cuts down on the efficacy of the hand sanitizer. All sanitizers are high alcohol and will smell, well like alcohol.