DIY Paper Plug/ Caps for my candles

Jasmine M

Hi guys

I've started making candles using Rapeseed wax for the past couple of months and I really enjoy it but now I have been looking for eco friendly lids that will hold the scent and protect from the dust. 

I have been looking online for the paper plugs/lids/ caps and the ones available aren’t the sizes I want so I want to make custom ones. I’ve been on this forum and seen a lady that makes her own but the photos she uploaded to the forum weren’t loading.
The link > https://www.craftserver.com/topic/112103-candles-wdust-covers-instead-of-lids/ I’ve seen that you said you can use waxed kraft paper? Just wondering how that works or how I can do this at home as you’ve used scrapbook paper which sounds cool! (Why can’t I see the pics you’ve posted?!) @GailC

I am currently using cork bungs to cover my 20cl jars but for my 10cl I’d prefer a paper plug/cap just because the cork can take up a lot of the inside jar space so I’d have to put less wax and it’s already small! 
- Also, are the paper ones reusable meaning will I be able to re cover them without them becoming flimsy after a few uses?

I am based in the UK and I prefer to order from within the UK as well if there is a custom paper plug company but I haven’t seen one yet.  I know you guys will be of some help, look forward to reading a reply! Thanks, Jasmine.

50 minutes ago, Jasmine M said:

I have been looking online for the paper plugs/lids/ caps and the ones available aren’t the sizes I want so I want to make custom ones. I’ve been on this forum and seen a lady that makes her own but the photos she uploaded to the forum weren’t loading.
The link > https://www.craftserver.com/topic/112103-candles-wdust-covers-instead-of-lids/ I’ve seen that you said you can use waxed kraft paper? Just wondering how that works or how I can do this at home as you’ve used scrapbook paper which sounds cool! (Why can’t I see the pics you’ve posted?!) @GailC

After looking at GailC's original post, it looks like she tried to upload images that were too large for the site's requirements. I can't see the images either, only a place holder for them. She would have to post them again as smaller images.

Thank you for your reply @GailC they look pretty! 

I was actually looking to make paper caps or end- closures like this ( look at photo) 

I’m thinking soaking Kraft paper with some rapeseed wax and pine resin and maybe some jojoba oil like the way they make beeswax wraps. I’m trying to avoid beeswax because theyre not vegan friendly. Do you think this will work or is there someone on this forum that could help me? 

the closest I’ve got to this idea is paper glass covers but I feel that they may be flimsy :( I hope there is a way!

0C46DB31-9539-4485-AABE-EA64510653BE.jpeg

• Like 1

On 2/26/2020 at 10:53 PM, GailC said:

I just use scrapbook paper and a scalloped paper punch. Had to buy a longer than normal hole punch for the wick to reach the middle of the dust cover.

Once again, my pictures are huge!

The pumpkin one is really cute too. I love arts and crafts stuff.

• Like 1

Can you guys see the photo I've posted in my previous post? I am not looking to make paper lids as I want it to be covered fully on top of the gods not sitting on the wax.

I'm looking to make paper caps/end-closures like the photo I've posted. I want to replace plastic lids with a paper lid instead and hold the scent inside with no open air space.

Hope someone has some idea on what to do!