What is the best wax for getting BRIGHT/VIBRANT Colors

I've made some with IGI-6006 (unimpressed), GW 464 (troublesome)

I'm thinking of trying a Coconut blend.  Not sure which one.

There are many reasons to search for the "right" wax as i have learned.

The primary reason i'm still searching is because of color.

If I'm going to make a go of it to make some money and/or make it a business, i have a particular initial market to start in.

I think it's a great launch point.  Rather than Craft fair and such.  Or being just another candle maker with a website or on Etsy.

My initial market is what i plan on using to drive people to my website.

Here's the kicker.

It REQUIRES to have vibrant colors.  I need a RED red, BLACK black, ORANGE orange.  Those are the most difficult so far.

I need to have bright/true colors as close as possible.

Forget Soy.  6006 didn't do it either.  I slightly "overloaded" the colors for the recommended portions.

I could overload them more but that's not going to change the soy results.

I have also heard that if you overload too much, it could "clog" your wick.  Don't know if that's true or not.

Just because you hear/see it on the internet doesn't make it true.  Man I wish more people understood that.  But that's a totally different conversation.

I digress...

I am currently using Liquid Dyes from LoneStar.  I have heard that using blocks might give better colors.

What do you recommend?  What source?

Man that was a lot.  🙂

If you want to use liquid dyes, I recall some people on here saying that the "EVO" dyes are good and don't have a horrible smell like some of the other liquid dyes. I have not tested them myself. https://www.candlewic.com/store/category.aspx?q=c73&title=Liquid-Candle-Dye,-Colors-and-Pigments

https://vacandlesupply.com/Liquid-Dye-for-Candlemaking-By-EVO_p_350.html

Here's a previous post on this topic: 

• Like 1

In order to achieve bright/vibrant colors, you will want to look at wax whiteners called WhiteTech by French Color & Fragrance Company.  Think of it as a paint primer.  In order to get close to true Black/Black color, you will need it no matter what type of wax you choose.

http://www.frenchcolor.com/wax-whiteners/

I don't dye my candles.  You will have to contact them for instruction & locate distributor in your area.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/20/2020 at 11:05 AM, AustinCandleMaker said:

I've made some with IGI-6006 (unimpressed), GW 464 (troublesome)

I'm thinking of trying a Coconut blend.  Not sure which one.

There are many reasons to search for the "right" wax as i have learned.

The primary reason i'm still searching is because of color.

If I'm going to make a go of it to make some money and/or make it a business, i have a particular initial market to start in.

I think it's a great launch point.  Rather than Craft fair and such.  Or being just another candle maker with a website or on Etsy.

My initial market is what i plan on using to drive people to my website.

Here's the kicker.

It REQUIRES to have vibrant colors.  I need a RED red, BLACK black, ORANGE orange.  Those are the most difficult so far.

I need to have bright/true colors as close as possible.

Forget Soy.  6006 didn't do it either.  I slightly "overloaded" the colors for the recommended portions.

I could overload them more but that's not going to change the soy results.

I have also heard that if you overload too much, it could "clog" your wick.  Don't know if that's true or not.

Just because you hear/see it on the internet doesn't make it true.  Man I wish more people understood that.  But that's a totally different conversation.

I digress...

I am currently using Liquid Dyes from LoneStar.  I have heard that using blocks might give better colors.

What do you recommend?  What source?

Man that was a lot.  🙂

I have tried all of those waxes, and without adding anything such as whitener, the 4786 is the best wax for color. If you want to see how orange looks in 4786 log onto the facebook group for craftserver. I just posted 2 videos showing how high flames get in 4786. The color is incredible. I think I only used 3 drops of liquid orange per lb that I purchased from Candle Science.