Rice Bran Wax Candles?

Hey guys. Anyone here have any experience with rice bran wax candles? I am new to candle making. I wanted a completely vegan candle so started experimenting with rice bran wax and coconut oil. I’ve gone from a 50/50 blend all the way down to 80/20. I am have some trouble with candle burning properly. The 80/20 blend has been the best so far. I am using hemp wick as well. Any advice or guidance here would be much appreciated! 

May I ask where you have purchased your rice bran wax?  Most rice bran wax sold in US that I know are for cosmetic or skin care usage.  Even Chinese ones are for cosmetic or skin care usage also.  Only country that makes rice bran wax candle would be Japan, and it is dipped candle with washi paper wick.  What kind of candle are you trying to make with rice bran wax?

If you are looking for vegan wax, then there are soy, palm, coconut, & apricot waxes for candle to choose from.  And there is beeswax, which may not be considered as vegan.

• Like 1

You may have to experiment quite a bit with different types of wicks to see if you can get a good burn. Describe your problems with your combo. Flames too high, candle burn out, flickering, doesn’t burn to edge in container? You also need to tell us what container you are using as well, and width.

I found Rice bran challenging to blend with.  First, it takes FOREVER for rice bran wax to set up.  In my cool shop it stays liquid for hours.  After burning my candles made with rice bran wax, I noticed they too take forever to set up again.  They stay soft and liquid like when first poured. 

wicking rice bran wax, like anything else, takes trial and error.  It is not a point and shoot product.  If you have time and like challenges it could be a nice niche market.  A couple of online sellers have these candles. Maybe buy a few to test burn and see if it is all as awesome as the marketing.

"Jedwards International, Inc. is a wholesale bulk supplier of Rice Bran Wax, a natural vegetable wax also referred to by the botanical name Oryza sativa. Rice bran wax is derived from extraction and de-waxing of rice bran oil. This process produces a solid pale-yellow substance in granular form which has a high melting point. Rice bran wax is food grade and is often used as a substitute for carnauba wax.

Rice bran wax is used in a wide-range of cosmetic, food and industrial applications. Cosmetic products that may use rice bran wax include body butters, lip balms, lipsticks, lotions, face creams and mascara. Rice bran wax can be used on grown fruits and vegetables to prevent the loss of moisture and protect the product's shelf life. Industrial and consumer products that may use vegetable waxes such as rice bran are crayons, polishes, coatings for wood or paper and lubricants."

I guess it could be used for candles, but it does not mean that it is made as candle wax which means you are up for more tougher challenge than using any of candle waxes.  Most manufacturers & suppliers will provide specs & instruction sheets.  You might want to ask for it from them first, and go from there.  You might be on the right track using hemp wick.  And maybe wood wicks? 

There should be others in here that can provide more information on rice bran wax.  Good luck to you!

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 7/6/2020 at 11:59 AM, Gregg said:

Hey @Issac curious to hear how the rice bran is working out for you!? I've just started experimenting with it myself and find it a bit difficult... 

hey @Gregg my wife and I are still testing with Rice Wax it is super difficult. We’ve gone through a number of wick and jar changes. It’s been fun but kinda frustrating. Once I find a nice blend I’ll be more than happy to share my success with you! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/1/2020 at 4:06 AM, Issac said:

hey @Gregg my wife and I are still testing with Rice Wax it is super difficult. We’ve gone through a number of wick and jar changes. It’s been fun but kinda frustrating. Once I find a nice blend I’ll be more than happy to share my success with you! 

Fantastic, I'll do the same :) But at the moment, I'm experiencing lots of tunnelling and container adhesion issues...

• 2 months later...

Hey, 

I’ve also just started experimenting with rice bran wax. Looking for a more sustained wax alternative to soy but that is also vegan so thought this would be a good choice after reading up. 

Can I ask why you have choose to mix with coconut oil? Is this to make for a softer candle and also make it cheaper? I have tried 100% rice bran wax for a pillar candle and it was a weak burn one went out after a while however it does have a nice long burning time. I’m trying a thicker wick today to see if this helps the burn. 

May also try blending with coconut oil Too if this also helps. Any advice would be great!

J xx 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JRobs said:

Hey, 

I’ve also just started experimenting with rice bran wax. Looking for a more sustained wax alternative to soy but that is also vegan so thought this would be a good choice after reading up. 

Can I ask why you have choose to mix with coconut oil? Is this to make for a softer candle and also make it cheaper? I have tried 100% rice bran wax for a pillar candle and it was a weak burn one went out after a while however it does have a nice long burning time. I’m trying a thicker wick today to see if this helps the burn. 

May also try blending with coconut oil Too if this also helps. Any advice would be great!

J xx 

The Rice bran wax I have is unburnable in its current format without a wick the size of a clothesline. Candle fragrances don't often perform well at burn temps required to burn this wax. Blending with other waxes and oils to lower melt point and improve overall performance with fragrances was needed in my tests.

Your wax may already be blended if it is sold as a complete candle wax. Mine was not. It is useful as a tiny component of the candle, just not for the candle stand alone for my goals.

Coconut oil is only one option.  You may like it with some plain soy wax like midwest soy or 415.

A 100% rice bran pillar would be ridiculously expensive.

The melt point of rice bran wax is too high (~175F). You'd need a very hot burning wick to reach a high enough temperature to maintain the melt pool or else the rice bran wax will quickly harden. It might even tunnel if it can stay lit. I guess it could work for tapers if it's not too brittle and stays lit. Wouldn't suggest trying to use it for a container candle as the heat needed to melt the wax would cause the container to reach temps not safe for handling. Maybe try a large hemp wick.

Hey JRobs,

So I mix with coconut oil because I have too. As TallTayl mentioned a candle with just Rice Wax would need a clothesline to burn! That is no exaggeration unfortunately. I chose Coconut Oil to mix with it but you can use what you'd like. It has been a journey of failures for me but I've got my mix close to perfection. Also, The Rice Wax I purchase is pure Rice Wax not pre-blended. Quite hard to give any more advice because I don't know what else you are using. Because the fragrance and wick makes a ton of difference. I will say the only and best advice I can offer is that you will absolutely need a larger wick and you absolutely need to blend the Rice wax with something lighter to lower the melt point of Rice Wax. Hope this helps and good luck!

• Thanks 1

On 10/27/2020 at 5:26 PM, TallTayl said:

The Rice bran wax I have is unburnable in its current format without a wick the size of a clothesline. Candle fragrances don't often perform well at burn temps required to burn this wax. Blending with other waxes and oils to lower melt point and improve overall performance with fragrances was needed in my tests.

Your wax may already be blended if it is sold as a complete candle wax. Mine was not. It is useful as a tiny component of the candle, just not for the candle stand alone for my goals.

Coconut oil is only one option.  You may like it with some plain soy wax like midwest soy or 415.

On 10/27/2020 at 6:50 PM, Issac said:

Hey JRobs,

So I mix with coconut oil because I have too. As TallTayl mentioned a candle with just Rice Wax would need a clothesline to burn! That is no exaggeration unfortunately. I chose Coconut Oil to mix with it but you can use what you'd like. It has been a journey of failures for me but I've got my mix close to perfection. Also, The Rice Wax I purchase is pure Rice Wax not pre-blended. Quite hard to give any more advice because I don't know what else you are using. Because the fragrance and wick makes a ton of difference. I will say the only and best advice I can offer is that you will absolutely need a larger wick and you absolutely need to blend the Rice wax with something lighter to lower the melt point of Rice Wax. Hope this helps and good luck!

Thank you so much for your advice! Would you tend to use more coconut oil than rice bran wax in your calculations? I’m going to keep experimenting. X