Help with HT

Michael97

Hey guys, i've recently got into making some candles for fun, I'm using a 30cl glass with Kerasoy container wax,  and a ECO 14 wick,  my candles have a great Cold throw, but pretty much nothing when burning? any tips? i've only made my first 5 so far, so obviously have a lot more testing etc, but would love to know any tips you guys have or if my wick etc isn't a great size? cheers

You've come to the right place, but the experts here will need more information. It is likely the wick, but there are 100 other things it could be. How long are you curing before you test your candles? What percentage of FO are you using. What temperature do you heat the wax to before adding the FO. How long do you stir the wax after adding the FO?  Could you post a picture of your candle while burning?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've been curing them for around 2-3 days?  then i test burned them, i'm doing 10% FO  1oz to 1lb?  and i'm heating the wax to 180 and then was adding the oil at a lower temp of around 120-125f? was checking different ways, and that was one i saw so tried it?  and i've been stirring it for about 2-3mins after adding the FO,   They have came out smooth, but i've noticed after the first burn, the sides of the candles have like wet spots?  here is a photo of it burning right now, my main guess is the wick Appreciate any help! 

20200204_220328.jpg

Are you in UK?  We are not familiar with KeraSoy, so my recommendation could turn out to be wild guess.  

It seems like one of UK supplier is recommending to add FO at little bit above pouring temperature 120 - 125F.  That would be too low for FO to be bond well with soy wax.  Your wet spot might be seepage due to this reason.  Try to add FO in between 170 - 180F.  

You might want to try Stabilo Series Wick size 16 for your container size & 10% FO load.  If not 14 or 18. It is coreless wick, which should perform better for soy wax than ECO.

*You might want to trim your wick on above candle first.  ECO works well with short trimmed length.  

• Like 1

@BusyBee I'm in ireland, but yes, the Kerasoy is a UK product i believe,

Yeah, i've been just hearing a lot of different things, so im super confused on what instructions to be following to be honest! 😕 

So i'll add the FO at 170-180F and then what temp would you suggest to pour at?

Also would pre-heating the glass container help at all or no?

I'll defiantly check out the wicks!  i know the site i purchased the original stuff only had 3-4 options of wicks,  LX,TCR ECO and wooden, i'll have to check another for the Stabilo series! 

and i appreciate all the help, sorry for asking so many questions 😅

You were doing fine with all other steps.  

Regarding pre-heating container;  How cold is it over there this time of the year, and how cold is your room where candle is cooled.  If your room temperature is above 22C and above, I wouldn't worry about pre-heating the container.  

Welcome to CraftServer, and don't forget to try another burn with short trimmed length ECO.

So just to clarify, Melt the wax to 180f, take it off, then add my FO etc,

Then what would temp would you recommend i pour at?

it's pretty cold outside this time of the year, but inside should anywhere from 20-25c i'd say!

Thank you! its great help on here already, way more than i could find on youtube and other places! :)  and i will do! cheers!

I wouldn’t expect much HT in a soy based candle after 3 days. The strongest HT I have ever seen in a candle was a soy candle that was a year old; it had almost no HT after two weeks. Most people say you need two weeks cure time for soy candles, but they will continue to get stronger.

• Like 1

It seems like Kerasoy's spec is very similar to GB 464.  *This does not mean they will perform similar way.  

Anyway, if you have added 1 oz FO to 1 lb of wax, then that would be around 6% ratio.  1.6 oz of FO to 1 lb of wax would be 10%.  Some wax will work best with maximum  FO capacity that certain wax will hold(10 to 12% in your wax), and some wax will work best at 6 to 7%.  So, what percentage of FO should work best for your wax need to be find out by yourself since we don't have that wax available over here and do not have experience.

Your wick in above candle picture curled just right to give the candle perfect burning characteristic.  It's just that flame is little bit big.  Try to trim it down first and see how it burns before you try another wick type or size.  *You will need to add FO at higher temperature though.

Good luck with your experimenting!