When to add VYBAR to my wax

6 hours ago, TallTayl said:

And one where the tab was affixed with a wick sticker.

WOW...such a simple looking method to test various wick without the high cost....THANK YOU TallTayl. I think you just saved me time and money. I love this board. You all (most anyway) know your sh*t!! I can see I have a lot to learn yet. Wish I had found this board a couple years ago.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TallPineCandles said:

Could you possibly tell me where I can purchase these?

Bittercreek, candles and supplies, candlewic and northstar all carry some of the sizes. To get other in between Ives we would need to order 5,000 from places like Atkins and Pearce and their distributors. 

they don’t work well in all waxes.  They Burn VERY cool, so if a zinc would work, a paper might too. I won’t burn zinc, so gave paper a try. They were terrible in coconut 83/easybeads BTW, lol.  

good luck!

You might want to make testers without putting a wick at all from the start.  This way, it is a lot easier and faster to keep on changing the wicks.  Poke a hole in the middle, put a wick, test burn, take them out, put another....  (By the way, that's 464 in the picutre.) 

20160817_211510.thumb.jpg.d68cb82515c199f95c2eb7e469e218f8.jpg

• Like 3

Ok...in my family, we have this saying (Grew up in Kansas for the record. Farmboy) even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile. I am going to mark this up as a check in the "Win" column in my short candle making career. Please bear with me on this.

On the 13th I started a wick test on the ECO 10 for my jar and tin candles. Funny, I forgot about them. Found them day before yesterday. Decided to go ahead and burn one and get disappointed, frustrated, depressed and any other feeling you can think to add to that list.So I lit it. Was sitting here on the corner of my desk. Let it burn for a couple hours and nothing, nada, zilch H/T. So blew it out. What a waste of time I began to think.

Came in from the job that supports this expensive addiction, plopped my butt in the chair and thought I would lit that candle just for the calming effect of the flame. Thats when I noticed it. That is when I knew my mind was playing tricks on me. But no, there it was...HOT THROW!!! Not real strong but it was there. I let it burn for hours until I called it a night. When I got home tonight I lit that sweet baby up once again. Not strong but still there....I was in love with this hobby once again.

My desk being a mess most of the time, I decided to straighten it up. Had to move the candle to a different spot until I could clean where I was keeping it. I remember someone saying to me that if the circulation is not real good you won't smell it. Will I guess she now sits in the best place for circulation because I can smell it thru the whole apartment I live in.

So, attached is a photo of the test sheet I kept on it. Front and back. (Not good at taking notes so forgive me if it seem incomplete)....

Test 1.jpg

Test 1Notes.jpg

• Like 2

That s great! Keep testing all the way to the bitter end.  Lots happens in the last half of a burn.

also, test your candles through each season.  Hot heavy humid air in summer changes the burn and throw, and often the wicking along with it. 

curing, many people think, is a waste of time.  Curing is so darned important that even fermented grape juice depends upon it to make a nice product.

and BTW, I use the same saying 😂

• Like 1

Good for you!  It really can make a huge difference.  Oddly enough, the optimal placement in my 1900 sq ft house with 9’ ceilings and an open floor plan is in the far back corner.  A candle burned there can scent the whole house.

I am glad you are seeing success.  Keep on keeping on!

Our ceiling fans are turned to the winter direction and that has made a big difference in scenting.

people with high efficiency heating and air con systems don’t havE as much of a chance to smell their candles, as designed by air scrubbing of the furnaces. For once this makes me thrilled to have old fashioned heating 😅

1 hour ago, TallTayl said:

Curing is so darned important

I poured the Black Cherry Merlot the same day. Have it burning on my dest as I type. Just started a few minutes ago...but...I HAVE H/T!!! yes baby!! Thank you all for your devoted help. GOD, I am in love again...😍😍😍. Did I mention I have H/T? Not sure if I did or not, but I have H/T just in case I didn't...lol

Black Cherry.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, bfroberts said:

Good for you!  It really can make a huge difference.  Oddly enough, the optimal placement in my 1900 sq ft house with 9’ ceilings and an open floor plan is in the far back corner.  A candle burned there can scent the whole house.

I am glad you are seeing success.  Keep on keeping on!

To be honest, your help and advise has made this work...so...as I see it WE ALL succeeded in this small adventure together and for that, THANK YOU ALL!!

• 3 months later...
On 1/25/2020 at 3:22 PM, TallPineCandles said:

OK everyone....Newbie question for you all. I am adding VYBAR to IGI 6006 for a better hot throw (so they tell me). I have searched high and low but can not find anything related as to WHEN to add the VYBAR. Do I add while melting? At a lower temp before adding F/O? HELP!!!

I am trying to figure this out also. Did you figure out?

• 9 months later...

I agree with bfroberts, talltayl, and others.

No need to add vybar to IGI 6006.

Also, if you are interested in more discussion on vybar (when to use it, how much to use it, its pros and cons, etc). here is a video.

It echoes the same sentiments as above though. It can help in situations but its intended purpose isn't to just make HT better.  Hope this helps.

https://youtu.be/lq_HzUkeUmc

• 4 months later...
On 1/25/2020 at 1:22 PM, TallPineCandles said:

OK everyone....Newbie question for you all. I am adding VYBAR to IGI 6006 for a better hot throw (so they tell me). I have searched high and low but can not find anything related as to WHEN to add the VYBAR. Do I add while melting? At a lower temp before adding F/O? HELP!!!

What did you find out? I am thinking of doing the same?

4 hours ago, KMB said:

What did you find out?

I found it to be very difficult to use and really saw no change to speak of in either the cold or hot throw.  I added it as the wax was melting. Figured it would blend better by doing it that way. Anyway, bottom line in my opinion is that it is not worth the effort. Since then I have switched to C-3 wax and have had no trouble.

• Thanks 1

• 6 months later...