Can someone explain this scent throw phenomenon?

When I make a half jar candle with 9% fragrance I can cure the candle for 24-48 hours, light it and it will fill the whole living room, very strong throw. But the same scent made to full jar capacity (to the top of jar) will not have scent throw when I light it within 24-48 hours?

These are flint 8oz jars I'm using. 464 wax

I have tried this with 8 different scents from 3 different brands.

Edited by Testing123

On 1/14/2020 at 12:37 PM, TallTayl said:

Air current in that particular jar and wax/wick/fo

that makes sense

i wonder if i can use a different jar and pour less at the top to mimic those favorable air currents in half jar testing to reduce cure time (thinking out-loud)

I use 8oz flint jar and 100% Midwest soy or a custom parasoy blend. I make test candles and put them on my shelf for 3-4 months before lighting. I start with 100% soy and after the cure if the scent isn't strong enough for me I do the parasoy. The parasoy I cure 6 weeks before burning. I use 6% for almost every scent. Some over powering scents I use 5%. I never go more than 6%.

editing to add

I have very few parasoy candles. There are a few scents I wanted in candles that just don't work in soy.

Edited by Soy-N-Suds
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/17/2020 at 8:19 AM, Soy-N-Suds said:

I use 8oz flint jar and 100% Midwest soy or a custom parasoy blend. I make test candles and put them on my shelf for 3-4 months before lighting. I start with 100% soy and after the cure if the scent isn't strong enough for me I do the parasoy. The parasoy I cure 6 weeks before burning. I use 6% for almost every scent. Some over powering scents I use 5%. I never go more than 6%.

editing to add

I have very few parasoy candles. There are a few scents I wanted in candles that just don't work in soy.

I am having the hardest time wicking the 8 oz flint jar with Midwest soy...I want to love the HTP 104, but the hangup on my jars during the first 3-4 burns doesn't seem to catch up on subsequent burns.  Any suggestions on wick?