Zap Test and unsaponified questions

franu61

Well, I finally know what it feels like when you do the tongue zap test and get zapped.  There is no doubt.  I made a batch of soap yesterday, and unmolded today  It was too still soft to cut. 

I've been doing the same basic recipe for several batches, and it's always ready to cut the next day.  This time I did not cover and wrap, so I suspect it did not gel. Does that slow down the saponification? Can I just leave the uncut loaf alone for a few days and test again? Or should I rebatch?

4 hours ago, TallTayl said:

Temp definitely changes the chemical processes of saponification. Give it more time.

you can always stick it back in the mold, cover and heat on a heating pad or in the oven for a few hours

Thanks TT! 

For ungelled soap I generally leave it for 2-3 days before zap testing. It  an take 2-3 days for it to be fully saponified if not gelled.   I would do what TT said and put it back in the mold and heat up your oven, turn it off and put the mold in for a bit.  Or just leave it.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When my shop gets extra cold in deep winter sometimes my Soap won’t even get to where it needs to be in the mold. Not unless I add extra heat. What happens is the soft soap turns to actually brittle on the ends. The edged ans corners crumble when cut, And then it’s not savable.

• Like 1