How soon should a candle smell after it’s lit?

I just started getting into making candles and have been doing a lot of testing over the last couple months with 9 oz jars. What is the typical time a candle‘s fragrance should start to smell throughout the room. I’m noticing a great HT close to an hour after burn or when I get a full melt pool. 

So much depends on how all of the variables in your candle are balanced.  

wax

container 

wick

fragrance

many retail candles I’ve purchased for curiosity sake throw hard and strong within minutes of lighting without being overwicked. No need for melt pools or big wicks. Some were so strong I had to extinguish within minutes While the scent lingered pleasantly in the air for hours. This is how Tom Ford and Jo Malone candles gained popularity.  

It is all about balancing the variables. 

one nugget of wisdom learned over thousands of experiments is the fallacy of a big melt pool. A candle reliant on wide and/or deep melt pool is essentially trying to be a wax melt. Burning off the scent in a melt pool just won’t perform the same as a well balanced burning candle that fully combusts and throws scent in time with the melting of the fuel source. 

• Like 3