Coconut wax, palm wax and apricot oil/wax

FBM

Hello, 

I interested in making vegetable candles. The most common I believe is the soy wax but unfortunately here in my country all soy waxes are mixed with paraffin.

A few companies are making candles with a mix of coconut wax + palm wax + apricot oil (if apricot wax does exist, here we also don't have it). Using wax mixes that are already in the market is not a possibility because shipping cost is very high. 

I have gathered a lot of information for coconut wax and palm wax separately but could not find information on both together. I live in a tropical country, so to make a 100% coconut wax is not possible because its to soft. I think the palm wax gives a little body to the candle, helps make it harder.

I only found one person who made a coconut and palm wax candle and she said that to use 1/3 of coconut oil would help the FO to fix better in the candle.

If anyone could give me information or tips to get started I would really appreciate. For example, I read in one place that when making a coconut wax candle the second it melts, the FO should be poured in and someone else said that I should pour the FO after it cools down.

Thank you very much for the help!!!

Making a candle wax from scratch is pretty technical.  I wish plain coconut oil and palm worked like that, but often to get the burn qualities you want it takes some chemistry to make it work.

in the US most coconut waxes (Including apricot wax) I have found on the market use some degree of paraffin and/or microwaxes. Paraffin help stabilize the irregular crystal formations of hydrogenated fatty acids (oils) that make up what people call “veggie wax”. Paraffin also makes the wax burn like consumers expect a candle to burn.

Palm waxes come in many different varieties also. Each is a different fraction of the palm fruit, and burns somewhat differently. I have 5 palm waxes for candles here and each one needs a different wick to burn with all other variables being the same. 

if you have palm waxes readily available, I would use that.  Pick one and go for it. Palm wax designed for candles is fine all by itself, making this process very simple and testing far less costly. Anything added to palm wax will need to be tested to see if the combination remains stable and safe. 

good luck!