How I am refraining from buying Fragrance Oils in 2020

GailC

Had lunch with my sister this week.  We were discussing our addictions.  She sells jewelry on ebay and does quite well at it.  But she has a problem buying more jewelry to sort through when she already has tons.

You know my addiction.  I compiled a list and I have 282 different bottles of FO, mostly 16 oz and a few 8 oz.  Doesn't include my 4 boxes of 1 oz samples or the duplicate FO fragrances I have. I also highlighted all the FO's I haven't even used yet, some bought several years ago.

So my sister and I are going to be accountable to each other.  The first one who caves and buys jewelry or fragrance oils has to buy the other one dinner.  It's been 3 days and I'm still standing strong.  :) 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

2019 was my best year yet in candles and melts sales.  And the most profitable. I think how much more profitable it would have been if I hadn't bought so many fragrance oils I didn't need.  But oh, it's so fun getting that shipment of new FO's and smelling them over and over.  :)  Even more fun going to the Supplier's store and smelling them there and bringing a bunch home.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GailC said:

2019 was my best year yet in candles and melts sales.  And the most profitable. I think how much more profitable it would have been if I hadn't bought so many fragrance oils I didn't need.  But oh, it's so fun getting that shipment of new FO's and smelling them over and over.  :)  Even more fun going to the Supplier's store and smelling them there and bringing a bunch home.  

You’re singing my tune, sis. 

I have begun treating myself like an employee.  How do I justify purchases? How would I explain a “need” to a “boss” for approval? Would I fire “me” for such choices? Lol.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, TallTayl said:

I have begun treating myself like an employee.  How do I justify purchases? How would I explain a “need” to a “boss” for approval? Would I fire “me” for such choices? Lol.

That is a great way to look at it.  Justifying purchases.  But I do 'reason' with my boss, namely me.  :)  And my 'boss' is very accommodating.  But in 2019 my financial circumstances changed.  No longer am I selling candles just to make enough money to buy more supplies.  Now I really need the supplemental income.  So there is a #1 reason to use what FO's I have on hand instead of always adding to my extensive stash.

That being said, there are some FO's I am going to have to reorder eventually because they are customer favorites and sell so well. Hey, maybe customers will discover some new favorites in all the FO's I have and haven't used yet.

• Like 3

I've been thinking along these lines too.  I have a ton of older fo's that I need to use up. Going to do lots of q-tip blending tests. Hope to come up with   a "new" scent.  Of course my first thought when reading your post Gail was, is she gonna sell some?  :)  

• Haha 2

@franu61 nope, not selling any right now.  I gave a bunch of bottles of FO to my sister last summer.  Fragrances I just didn't like and knew I would never get around to using.  She just uses the oil in her warmers I think because she doesn't make candles.  Maybe she puts it in Potpourri.  But they were stinky to me so I wouldn't put any of them in anything.  :) 

I briefly thought about trying to blend some of them, but nah, I've got so many that don't need doctoring up.

I do blends every once in a while, but with FO's that smell good on their own.  :)  I just made some Spiced Vanilla using Allspice from AAA and Very Vanilla from CS.  Smells better than Cinnamon Vanilla to me, which is my top seller.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I lasted 17 days.  But my sister caved first. :) 

In my defense, I just got a large fundraiser.  Yay!  Don't need to have the candles ready until first part of July, but I want to get started early so I have time to make them while still working on candles for customers and wholesale accounts. So I placed a large order for jars and wax and ordered only one bottle of Very Vanilla, because I'm going to need it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• 1 month later...
On 1/4/2020 at 1:03 PM, TallTayl said:

That's a great idea. Take pause or reconsider a purchase before you make it. Something I had been guilty of and I say "had" because I stopped doing it was late night online shopping. Wrong, big mistake. Now what I do, late night or not, is add items to the cart and save it as a pdf doc. The next day I can look over the pdf docs to see if I have any duplicates, check the quantities, ask myself if I really need it, can I buy from only 1 supplier instead of multiple, etc. and then make the purchase/s if needed. There's been many times that I have saved myself some money by doing that.

• Like 1

On 1/18/2020 at 10:45 AM, GailC said:

Well, I lasted 17 days.  But my sister caved first. :) 

In my defense, I just got a large fundraiser.  Yay!  Don't need to have the candles ready until first part of July, but I want to get started early so I have time to make them while still working on candles for customers and wholesale accounts. So I placed a large order for jars and wax and ordered only one bottle of Very Vanilla, because I'm going to need it.

Congrats!!! 🎉

9 hours ago, Laura C said:

Congrats!!! 🎉

Thanks!  On the Fundraiser I hope....because I just ordered 5 bottle of FO.  I had to buy some 10 inch wicks for a special order (which are very hard to to find).  I wasn't going to pay almost $9 in shipping for wicks, so ordered 5 FO's mostly for the Fundraisers I'm doing this years.  Going to need lots of the fall basics.  Apples and Pumpkins.

• Haha 1

Just now, GailC said:

Thanks!  On the Fundraiser I hope....because I just ordered 5 bottle of FO.  I had to buy some 10 inch wicks for a special order (which are very hard to to find).  I wasn't going to pay almost $9 in shipping for wicks, so ordered 5 FO's mostly for the Fundraisers I'm doing this years.  Going to need lots of the fall basics.  Apples and Pumpkins.

LOL, yes, congrats on the fundraiser. Enjoy the FOs. :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...