Silk fabric in soap and vegan silk

Peggy T

Has anyone ever used old silk fabric in soap? I make private label soap for another biz and they've asked me to include silk in the batch. I've never used silk and was about to order some when it occurred to me that maybe I could use an old silk scarf instead. I did some Googling but haven't really found much which seems a bit odd since surely lots of people have tried this. I live in an area where the idea of re-purposing silk would be appealing (from a sustainability perspective). I foresee a trip to the thrift store in the future.....

Second question, is there a vegan alternative to silk in soap? Again, I've done some research but can't find much that describes folks actual experience in this area. I'm not vegan (or even vegetarian really) but again I think my customers seem to prefer vegetarian/vegan products.

Time to experiment

I’ve seen stories of people using cut up sil fabric in soap, but wonder about the colorants, dyes, chemicals etc used in fabric production. 

if I were to test fabric, I’d cut it into teensy weensy  pieces, hot lye solution and strain it well before adding to the soap. 

for soap I use tussah noil. Supposedly it is cruelty free since the worm lives out its little life and eats it’s way out of the silk cocoon. 

a small blob in the lye water is all it takes.

im in a number of fiber arts groups and often see tussah noil fiber sold reasonably by the lb. 

What TT said, I do but I add a WAD like 2 grams worth or so... It's a WAD of silk fiber. YUGE!!!! 

What I wanna know is if you're using silk unmentionables in SOAP making would you still need to wash them FIRST? Wouldn't them being physically part of the soap make them about as clean as is physically possible? 

Things that make ME go Hmmmmm.... 

Sponiebr
The Executor of Bad Ideas and Sundry Services 

I use cruelty free silk as well. The silk is harvested and cleaned after it has been vacated.  I have also seen where folk have used dried corn silk.  I've not tried it myself so can't speak at to if it works or not.

Speaking of silk undies... Did you know that dirty unwashed undies bought online are actually MORE expensive than BRAND NEW ONES!?  I mean A LOT MORE expensive! 

giphy.gif 

Unbelievable! 

Sponiebr, 
The Executor of Bad Ideas and Sundry Services