Mac Apple / C3 Wax

Grani L

Does anyone find that they need to use more than 8% of mac apple in C3 wax?   I am using Mac Apple from CS. The cold throw is definitely there. But when it burns, the hot throw is there, but seems to be lacking. - Its hard to describe, but seems to be just short of a burning wax smell. I will up the percentage of FO but would rather use less if possible. If you have suggestions on another fresh apple type scent that throws well at a lower percent, please chime in. I'd appreciate it. 

I never use more than 6% in C3.  It just never made anything better for me but upping % and I almost always got fo leakage.  IDK about Mac Apple from CS.  Even Cargill states maximum is 6% unless you are using other additives in the wax.

Edited by kandlekrazy

That's what drives me a little beserk.... Cargill says 6% and the CS site says 10% max fo.  I would imagine it depends on the suppliers- as one suppliers oils may be stronger or may not have all the same ingredients as others. So...if i up it to 10% FO - is there an additive necessary for C3 wax so more Fragrance can be used? 

Edited by Grani L

On 12/28/2019 at 12:46 PM, Grani L said:

That's what drives me a little beserk.... Cargill says 6% and the CS site says 10% max fo.  I would imagine it depends on the suppliers- as one suppliers oils may be stronger or may not have all the same ingredients as others. So...if i up it to 10% FO - is there an additive necessary for C3 wax so more Fragrance can be used? 

I don't think it's the % at all.  Sometimes too much gives less HT.  I think the reformulation of all these fo's is creating HT problems.  This one may be one that just won't work in soy.  You could try adding USA to the wax and test it but like TT stated apples are not strong typically which is why so many people blend them.

Checking my notes, I have a mac apple from c.s from March, 2019 I’m burning now at 10% and it’s very strong to my nose, in fact I made a note to reduce it next time. My wax is not c3 but 464/lab and co coconut/soy wax blend. I’ve tested eco and premier wicks, both are working great. Maybe try other wicks?

• 3 weeks later...

OK - Just to report back. Not sure what gives. So I upped to 10% - and wow!!! Just the throw I was looking for. As you said Candle Rush, throws like 5 minutes after lighting after about a 2 week cure. No burnt wax smell either. Weirdly,  the cold throw was too strong for me, but the hot throw was perfect. Now its just up in the air if I carry the scent or not. 10% is a bit much. - But hey- we will see. 

Sometimes adding more scent just tips the balance of melt point and such for the wick to perform a little better. You could try adding a little coconut oil to make up the difference and see.

If the cold throw is too much believe it or not there are people that will consider that a turn off. 

likewise, your cost concern is valid. 

the other thing I do for C3 and C1 is use a little midwest soy wax.  10-20% midwest soy can usually lower the melt point enough and fix the shortcomings of those waxes. 

• 6 months later...