Best oils that absorb fast into skin

Candybee

Which oils/butters are easily and quickly absorbed by your skin? I used to know some of them but am not sure anymore. I seem to recall avocado and hemp seed oil absorb quickly but again not sure.

I am working on a new body balm and would like the oils I use to be absorbed into the skin quickly. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi Candybee, here are some fast penetration oils to consider. Fast: flaxseed, rosehip, hemp seed, evening primrose, rice bran. Fast-Medium: grapeseed, argan, camellia, meadowfoam and baobab. Also, technically an emollient, squalane enhances absorption into the tissues. I personally like baobab since it can handle the heat phase without degrading the oil. I was working on a moisturizer over the summer with the same goal of quickly absorbing into the skin and used a blend of cupuacu butter, squalane, baobab and almond. I became a big fan of cupuacu butter for its healing and absorption properties. 

• Like 1

Very few can actually penetrate.  Usually the idea of a body lotion or butter is to lock in moisture immediately after a shower or bath, so more of a coating (hopefully that you don't feel greasy at all).  Squalane and Emu are about the only 2 I know of that actually help your skin to absorb past the top layer they will help other oils somewhat when mixed in.  I layer emu on top of my lotion/cream to really help it absorb or I just use it alone on my face.  It's too expensive to use everywhere.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kandlekrazy said:

Very few can actually penetrate.  Usually the idea of a body lotion or butter is to lock in moisture immediately after a shower or bath, so more of a coating (hopefully that you don't feel greasy at all).  Squalane and Emu are about the only 2 I know of that actually help your skin to absorb past the top layer they will help other oils somewhat when mixed in.  I layer emu on top of my lotion/cream to really help it absorb or I just use it alone on my face.  It's too expensive to use everywhere.

I am working on my deodorant stick and have most of my ingredients I want to use. But am still working on the oils. Since I don't want it to produce moisture in the pits, feel sticky, or oily this is why I am looking for oils that would work well in a deodorant. 

I looked into Emu and love its description but thinking more of making a vegan version of stick deodorant.

1 hour ago, JenniferM said:

Hi Candybee, here are some fast penetration oils to consider. Fast: flaxseed, rosehip, hemp seed, evening primrose, rice bran. Fast-Medium: grapeseed, argan, camellia, meadowfoam and baobab. Also, technically an emollient, squalane enhances absorption into the tissues. I personally like baobab since it can handle the heat phase without degrading the oil. I was working on a moisturizer over the summer with the same goal of quickly absorbing into the skin and used a blend of cupuacu butter, squalane, baobab and almond. I became a big fan of cupuacu butter for its healing and absorption properties. 

I've been using cupuacu butter for years in my balms. It has the ability to mimic lanolin in drawing in moisture and I love its healing affect in my balms and butters. I have looked into many of the other ingredients you suggest and keeping a couple in mind while I continue my research.

1 hour ago, NightLight said:

Fracionated coconut oil, hazel nut oil (this is a dryish feeling oil). Avocado is a heavy oil Hemp has short shelf life and its a little on stinky side

I just bought some MCT oil as I want to try it. I was going to get the fractionated coconut oil but opted for the MCT instead. I am only using a small percentage in my formulation as I want my deodorant stick to have some nice glide. The oils portion of my recipe is going to be very small, about 10%, of which I am going to split between the MCT and another oil like. Thinking of kukui or maybe your suggestion of hazel nut.

I am using a higher % of butters to keep the stick hard. RE the oils, I wanted to use ones that may be absorbed into the skin without leaving an oily or slick or sticky feeling. I am also worried about oils that may draw in moisture as opposed to moisturizing the skin as I don't want any that may cause skin to become more oily, sticky, or wet feeling. Hope that makes sense.

Kokum butter is nice especially mixed with other oils.

I recently tried fractionated coconut oil in a sugar scrub and was disappointed, it’s just too dry for me. I feel there are many better oils like some mentioned here. 

Looking at the skin benefits  of some of the oils may help you decide.🌸

Castor oil is not a glidey oil. It's more occlusive and thick and will work in lip balms as a good emollient. You can create glide by selecting different waxes and other oils.

You can add arrowroot powder that will create a drier feeling deo based on waxes and oils. If  you do not go all natural IPM is nice for glide and dry feeling.

• Like 1

"Fast: flaxseed, rosehip, hemp seed, evening primrose, rice bran. Fast-Medium: grapeseed, argan, camellia, meadowfoam and baobab."

Many of these oils have short shelf life and or costly to use in deodorants. When formulating consider how long your product has to be good for,

Just the the addition of ROE on some of these oils don't make them last all that longer.

• Like 1

Yes, shelf life is one of my considerations among many. I have to use ingredients that will last, plus don't stain clothes, or make armpits feel sticky, wet, or oily, dries quickly on skin contact, are odorless, glides on smooth, don't promote skin irritation or rash, clog pores, etc, etc, etc. This is for a stick deodorant so I am sure I will be trying out several formulations before I get it just right.

I'm getting some wonderful ideas from everyone. I still have some more ingredients that are on their way before I jump in and start making this first test batch. I just keep flip flopping over one or two oils and butters combos. I think the non fat ingredients I have already selected. 

I do find that sometimes combos of particular oils and butters tend to work better in balms for me.

2 hours ago, NightLight said:

Castor oil is not a glidey oil. It's more occlusive and thick and will work in lip balms as a good emollient. You can create glide by selecting different waxes and other oils.

You can add arrowroot powder that will create a drier feeling deo based on waxes and oils. If  you do not go all natural IPM is nice for glide and dry feeling.

Organic arrowroot is one of my dry ingredients along with a silica heavy like white kaolin clay or dimetrious (sp?) earth. Both are high in silica which the skin needs and will help with dryness and some glide. I am going to use a very teeny % of baking soda only because it really helps with the performance I am looking for but due to its ability to irritate or cause skin rash on some folks I am limiting it to small amount.

I am also going to give BB's deodorant additive a try using it in combination with my dry ingredients. 

In my research I am also considering all ingredients that reduce inflammation, skin irritation, have anti bacterial and antifungal properties. Since sweat produces the right medium to cause odor my oils, butters, and other ingredients have to work to eliminate or reduce that which causes wetness, bacteria, and fungi odor.

• Thanks 1

If we take oil to mean the functional substance and not the molecular structure the 2 absolute fastest and best in my experience are Jojoba and Argan. The both have almost an identical molecular structure to human skin oil and as such they are properly esters.  Those 2 are the absolute best for skin "nourishment" and they are actually absorbed into the skin and hair, and they do so very rapidly also.

Also adding a little simethicone or dimethicone to a batch will be a huge help in providing a nice skin nourishment. If you need a little more glide to your lotion as Nightlight mentioned isopropyl myristate is THE nicest choice I can think of, BUT the simethicone or dimethicone will also give some glide to your formulation. Also one of the best non comedonal oils hasn't been mentioned yet is  Mineral Oil. There's a BIG reason why it's in ALL of the commercial products, and that's because it WORKS like magic. My beard lotion is like pretty much straight mineral oil these days with just a smidge of vitamin E (tocopherol). 

ETA: Also a very nice deodorant I have used extensively is just straight old Dollar Tree non sweetened Milk of Magnesia. SUPER anti microbial and makes REALLY good fairly long lasting deodorant as well.  Also, for a little extra moisturization some sodium lactate is a very nice addition. 

Sponiebr
The Executor of Bad Ideas and Sundry Services  

Edited by Sponiebr
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, kandlekrazy said:

for deodorant coconut oil and jojoba are nice ones. 

btw MCT is typically nothing more than food grade fractionated coconut oil with a bigger price tag.  Makes me mad that they try to deceive people

Yup.  All that changed on my bottles from Soapers a Choice is the label. 

• Like 2

Deodorant is a tough one to get “right” - especially since it is right on some lymph nodes.  Occlusivity isn’t not a great thing... the pit pores gotta sweat. 

so... You don’t necessarily want something that absorbs as much as something that doesn’t feel wet or tacky. Esters fit here.

i second jojoba. I use it in every skin and hair formulation in my line.  Long shelf life, and most like what we produce naturally. Low/no odor. Meadowfoam is a very close second, which I used during the jojoba shortage a few years back.

argan stinks. Literally.  There’s an off odor that only gets worse when it oxidizes. 

• Like 2

Soapers Choice changed the MCT oil last time I looked it was palm derived, and not what they used to carry. It still works like true fracionated coconut oil. They do not carry it under coconut oil anymore.

Cost/LB: $3.2000 SAP Value: KOH: .334 NaOH: .237 MCT Oil, Medium Chain Triglycerides is made from palm kernel. B personal care products, massage oil blends. MCT's is an excellent carrier for oil for essential oils. It is great to use for all types of skin care, bath and body care products and to make natural perfumes.

Okay do some checking. This makes me insane. Bulk Apothecary says their FCO is Coconut oil but fine prints also says Palm derived.

Fractionated Coconut Oil 

Also known as MCT Oil or Medium Chain Triglycerides is a fraction of the whole coconut oil.  To be exact, fractionated coconut oil has the long chain triglycerides like lauric acid removed retaining the capric and caprylic acids.

In the past few years Bulk Apothecary has grown to become one of the nation's largest manufacturers and suppliers of Fractionated coconut oil.  We have the ability to supply gallons all the way up to multiple truckloads on a single order.  We typically stock 100,000 lbs. or more that's available for quick shipment out of multiple strategically located U.S. warehouses. 

Fractionated Coconut Oil

Our Fractionated Coconut Oil (MCT Oil - Medium Chain Triglycerides) is made from the highest quality coconuts and possibly has numerous personal and industrial applications. MCT can also be derived from Palm Oil through the esterification process. Which ever base product is used the end product has the same fatty acids that provide the characteristics that make MCT Oil so popular. 

Fractionated Coconut Oil is clear and odorless leaving no greasy feeling. Furthermore, it does not stain and easily washes out of sheets and clothing making it and ideal choice for massage clients. It's also important to note that fractionated coconut oil does not become solid like regular coconut oil but keeps all the great properties and has a very long shelf life. 

Our Fractionated Coconut Oil is one of the most versatile oils. It's commonly used as a moisturizer, for essential oil blend recipes, in lip balms and used commonly in soap making applications. It's also used as a natural deodorant, for face wash, as hair conditioner, as eye makeup remover, aromatherapy and many other household uses.  But the single most common use for fractionated coconut oil is as a carrier for other ingredients.  Because it's clear and odorless it doesn't interfere with properties of other ingredients.  

No need to be divided on this. Buy your Fractionated Coconut Oil (MCT Oil - Medium Chain Triglycerides) from Bulk Apothecary today, because quality is everything!

sds-fractionated-coconut-oil-mct.png

Pure Fractionated Coconut Oil 

Country of Origin: Currently sourced from Indonesia and Malaysia
Common Names: MCT, Medium Chain Triglycerides, Fractionated Coconut Oil
Parts Used: Coconut, Palm Kernel
Form: Liquid medium consistency oil
Color: Nearly clear.  Typically colorless to light yellow 
Scent: Almost ordor-less
Natural: This product is considered all natural
Extraction Method: Expeller Pressed
Refinement Status: This product is refined
Organic Certified: This version is not currently certified organic.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sponiebr said:

If we take oil to mean the functional substance and not the molecular structure the 2 absolute fastest and best in my experience are Jojoba and Argan. The both have almost an identical molecular structure to human skin oil and as such they are properly esters.  Those 2 are the absolute best for skin "nourishment" and they are actually absorbed into the skin and hair, and they do so very rapidly also.

Also adding a little simethicone or dimethicone to a batch will be a huge help in providing a nice skin nourishment. If you need a little more glide to your lotion as Nightlight mentioned isopropyl myristate is THE nicest choice I can think of, BUT the simethicone or dimethicone will also give some glide to your formulation. Also one of the best non comedonal oils hasn't been mentioned yet is  Mineral Oil. There's a BIG reason why it's in ALL of the commercial products, and that's because it WORKS like magic. My beard lotion is like pretty much straight mineral oil these days with just a smidge of vitamin E (tocopherol). 

ETA: Also a very nice deodorant I have used extensively is just straight old Dollar Tree non sweetened Milk of Magnesia. SUPER anti microbial and makes REALLY good fairly long lasting deodorant as well.  Also, for a little extra moisturization some sodium lactate is a very nice addition. 

Sponiebr
The Executor of Bad Ideas and Sundry Services  

I did some research and yes I found jojoba and argan on my list of possible oils. Among several. But I have not finalized the oils just yet. I think a found a couple or so I liked better for a variety of reasons. I actually want to keep this formulation simple with as few ingredients as possible. I would be very much surprised thou if my initial test batch works the way I want. I am going to assume I may try several varieties of ingredients, combinations, oils, butters, etc., before I get just what I want.

Skin nourishment I am looking for will be mostly in the oils and butters I select. I do plan to add a couple of botanical extracts and some Vitamin E acetate. This doesn't have to be a miracle formula, just as natural as I can get it that performs to my standards.

Not sure about mineral oil and I am pretty sure my customers won't go for it but it does sound interesting enough to try it out sometime. Maybe on a personal formula.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TallTayl said:

Deodorant is a tough one to get “right” - especially since it is right on some lymph nodes.  Occlusivity isn’t not a great thing... the pit pores gotta sweat. 

so... You don’t necessarily want something that absorbs as much as something that doesn’t feel wet or tacky. Esters fit here.

i second jojoba. I use it in every skin and hair formulation in my line.  Long shelf life, and most like what we produce naturally. Low/no odor. Meadowfoam is a very close second, which I used during the jojoba shortage a few years back.

argan stinks. Literally.  There’s an off odor that only gets worse when it oxidizes. 

Yes I am rethinking the jojoba. I did look at meadowfoam but couldn't find enough satisfactory information to choose it as a possible oil. Re argan oil, I simply don't like it. I bought a bottle once and used it in soap, skin, hair, to try out and maybe its just me but it seemed excessively oily, slick, and non absorbant. Did nothing for my hair and skin much cheaper oils like olive or even coconut can do when applied to hair or skin.

I was reading about esters but honestly it made my head spin. I am not a very good chemist and sometimes my research can give me a headache. I am one of those people that can forget something the minute I finish reading about it if my head hurts or I feel I have absorbed too much info all at once. At any rate I know I came across some ingredients that have esters but for the life of me can't recall which.

You are so right about getting deodorant right. The more I research it and possible ingredients it can get overwhelming. And its not simply the ingredients but the right percentages and combination of ingredients that work together without cancelling out one or more factors I want to keep. Hope that makes sense.

Anyway I had already decided I need to get some jojoba oil to try out so I might as well try it in my initial formulation.

But I would like to know more about meadowfoam and why you think it might benefit a deodorant stick?

1 hour ago, NightLight said:

Okay do some checking. This makes me insane. Bulk Apothecary says their FCO is Coconut oil but fine prints also says Palm derived.

Fractionated Coconut Oil 

Also known as MCT Oil or Medium Chain Triglycerides is a fraction of the whole coconut oil.  To be exact, fractionated coconut oil has the long chain triglycerides like lauric acid removed retaining the capric and caprylic acids.

In the past few years Bulk Apothecary has grown to become one of the nation's largest manufacturers and suppliers of Fractionated coconut oil.  We have the ability to supply gallons all the way up to multiple truckloads on a single order.  We typically stock 100,000 lbs. or more that's available for quick shipment out of multiple strategically located U.S. warehouses. 

Fractionated Coconut Oil

Our Fractionated Coconut Oil (MCT Oil - Medium Chain Triglycerides) is made from the highest quality coconuts and possibly has numerous personal and industrial applications. MCT can also be derived from Palm Oil through the esterification process. Which ever base product is used the end product has the same fatty acids that provide the characteristics that make MCT Oil so popular. 

Fractionated Coconut Oil is clear and odorless leaving no greasy feeling. Furthermore, it does not stain and easily washes out of sheets and clothing making it and ideal choice for massage clients. It's also important to note that fractionated coconut oil does not become solid like regular coconut oil but keeps all the great properties and has a very long shelf life. 

Our Fractionated Coconut Oil is one of the most versatile oils. It's commonly used as a moisturizer, for essential oil blend recipes, in lip balms and used commonly in soap making applications. It's also used as a natural deodorant, for face wash, as hair conditioner, as eye makeup remover, aromatherapy and many other household uses.  But the single most common use for fractionated coconut oil is as a carrier for other ingredients.  Because it's clear and odorless it doesn't interfere with properties of other ingredients.  

No need to be divided on this. Buy your Fractionated Coconut Oil (MCT Oil - Medium Chain Triglycerides) from Bulk Apothecary today, because quality is everything!

sds-fractionated-coconut-oil-mct.png

Pure Fractionated Coconut Oil 

Country of Origin: Currently sourced from Indonesia and Malaysia
Common Names: MCT, Medium Chain Triglycerides, Fractionated Coconut Oil
Parts Used: Coconut, Palm Kernel
Form: Liquid medium consistency oil
Color: Nearly clear.  Typically colorless to light yellow 
Scent: Almost ordor-less
Natural: This product is considered all natural
Extraction Method: Expeller Pressed
Refinement Status: This product is refined
Organic Certified: This version is not currently certified organic.

Some years back when I first heard of MCT, I did some research about it. This was about the time that Lotion Crafters quit selling ButterEZ. It was what I used in my lip balm to help with the graininess problem of shea butter in my formulation. So I started looking for a replacement.

Sooooo, while doing some research I remember finding information that MCT and fractionated coconut are very similar but not exactly the same. I wish I could find that info so I could post it here since we are discussing it. If I ever do find it I will. Anyway, it was important because there were some suppliers that were calling fractionated coconut oil MCT oil and vice versa. It also laid out what the differences between palm and coconut oils.

This really bugs me because I swear I read some very detailed info on each and it was a fascinating read. Going to see if I can find it and post it.

• Like 1