464 vs. C3?

I’m sure some of you might be sick of seeing this come up (sorry, I’m only a few months into this!) I dove deep into the archives on this topic and given some of the batch inconsistencies I figured I would ask again...

I’m in MA and have a candle supply company (Candle Chem) 15 min away from me where I get my GB464. I’ve been using and only just started testing that with CD’s and ECO’s. I have gotten pretty good ct/ht in general but it’s hit or miss and I suspect I may have been over wicking so I’m trying to dial that in. I still have a lot of things to learn along the way for sure but before I get too deep down the rabbit hole of 464 I just found out I have a C3 supplier (GAC Wholesale) that is 1 hour from me. 

Im sure both waxes have their pros and cons but  I’m willing to put in the work for reasonably smoothish tops and a great HT. If wicked correctly do you perceive C3 to throw better than 464? Is C3 as finicky with pour temps and ambient room temp? 
My workspace gets so drafty that I literally have to jack my heat up to 74 when doing batches of 464 (poured between 135-145) or my tops are garbage. I don’t mind the extra drive or learning a new wax if it’s possible to avoid or at the very least curb some of these annoyances. 

I’m not sure what else to add but I would really appreciate any and all input! 😬

The final straw for me and 464 was the fact that a person had to burn my jar candles about 1/4-1/3 of the way before getting a decent hot throw.  I have a case of C3 which I plan to start testing after the first of the year but have been having pretty good results with C1.  If the supplier who is close has both, I would test both.

GoldieMN

• Like 2

When they stopped making my old wax, I tested both. They are very similar in wicking and pour temps. I made the same scent in each wax, put them on opposite ends of the house and shut the doors. After about thirty minutes I checked each room. I knew which one I thought smelled stronger, then I had my husband to check. Did that a couple times with different scents, each time the C3 was the stronger.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, sarahmarah said:

I’m sure some of you might be sick of seeing this come up (sorry, I’m only a few months into this!) I dove deep into the archives on this topic and given some of the batch inconsistencies I figured I would ask again...

I’m in MA and have a candle supply company (Candle Chem) 15 min away from me where I get my GB464. I’ve been using and only just started testing that with CD’s and ECO’s. I have gotten pretty good ct/ht in general but it’s hit or miss and I suspect I may have been over wicking so I’m trying to dial that in. I still have a lot of things to learn along the way for sure but before I get too deep down the rabbit hole of 464 I just found out I have a C3 supplier (GAC Wholesale) that is 1 hour from me. 

Im sure both waxes have their pros and cons but  I’m willing to put in the work for reasonably smoothish tops and a great HT. If wicked correctly do you perceive C3 to throw better than 464? Is C3 as finicky with pour temps and ambient room temp? 
My workspace gets so drafty that I literally have to jack my heat up to 74 when doing batches of 464 (poured between 135-145) or my tops are garbage. I don’t mind the extra drive or learning a new wax if it’s possible to avoid or at the very least curb some of these annoyances. 

I’m not sure what else to add but I would really appreciate any and all input! 😬

I also buy from candle chem , I live about 25 minutes from there..I have only tried 464 wax for a few reasons, shipping prices are so high is one of the reasons ..And for some reason I'm just in love with 464 ..a couple of things  that helps me the most with tops is that  i pour down my wick, i wrap the jars in felt, i put fat popsicle sticks on top and cover the jars with a box (learned all this on this website) ..so if i make 4 candles 1 might have wet spots but all my tops are smooth..and for a great hot throw if the fo i used doesn't throw that strong at 8% i just move on to another fo  ..hope this helps  

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Karen Ov said:

I also buy from candle chem , I live about 25 minutes from there..I have only tried 464 wax for a few reasons, shipping prices are so high is one of the reasons ..And for some reason I'm just in love with 464 ..a couple of things  that helps me the most with tops is that  i pour down my wick, i wrap the jars in felt, i put fat popsicle sticks on top and cover the jars with a box (learned all this on this website) ..so if i make 4 candles 1 might have wet spots but all my tops are smooth..and for a great hot throw if the fo i used doesn't throw that strong at 8% i just move on to another fo  ..hope this helps  

Thank you 😊