How Do I Keep Layers from Bleeding?

Hopie

I want to make myself a candle with multiple layers, sort of a "frankencandle" with different scents of scrap wax. How do I get the red from bleeding into the white? Is it a temperature issue, or a dye issue? I'm using diamond chips for color in paraffin wax. 

• Like 1

Funny you mention this. I have been having problems also with red coloring using the Reddi glo dye chips.  I haven't had your problem yet because I haven't done a layered candle with red yet, but every red pillar I have made seems to  bleed out of the wax and gets all over my hands.  I can still see the color in the molds. I would like to find out as well.

Yes, the red sure is beautiful in the square Christmas candles I made, but dang, that dye is murder to get completely out of the molds! Yesterday, after making a red Frank n' Myrrh candle, I decided to make a stark white square vanilla candle....when I went to unmold it this morning....RED on the corners and down one side of my beautiful stark white candle! Uggggh! So, I carved out the red streaks, scrubbed that mold with a q-tip in every nook n' cranny, then remelted that white one and repoured it. I hope I got all that red out this time. Grrrrr! I will know in the morning. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 12/12/2019 at 10:05 PM, Hopie said:

Yes, the red sure is beautiful in the square Christmas candles I made, but dang, that dye is murder to get completely out of the molds! Yesterday, after making a red Frank n' Myrrh candle, I decided to make a stark white square vanilla candle....when I went to unmold it this morning....RED on the corners and down one side of my beautiful stark white candle! Uggggh! So, I carved out the red streaks, scrubbed that mold with a q-tip in every nook n' cranny, then remelted that white one and repoured it. I hope I got all that red out this time. Grrrrr! I will know in the morning. 

If you make a lot of red products maybe it would be worth your while to have an extra mold just for reds.