How do you store your melts?

calan

Assuming you don't package them immediately (which I assume a lot of you pros do :D )... what is the best way to store melts? I figured out very quickly that ziplock bags aren't the best.

Are there some inexpensive cello bags or something else that will not leach fragrance if I need to store them a while after pouring a bunch? 

16 minutes ago, barbaranj said:

You can also safely use any plastic container with the number 5 on the bottom. 

I can honestly say that in 40 years or so, I've never noticed a number on the bottom of my plastic containers.   :)

Care to expand on that? Are you talking about the typical semi-disposable Glad bowls and stuff at Walmart?

28 minutes ago, calan said:

I can honestly say that in 40 years or so, I've never noticed a number on the bottom of my plastic containers.   :)

Care to expand on that? Are you talking about the typical semi-disposable Glad bowls and stuff at Walmart?

Exactly!  Any container  that has a number five on the bottom is perfectly safe to use.   You probably have a bunch in your refrigerator or pantry right now!  It’s the ♻️ recycle code that sits in the little triangle. 

Edited by barbaranj
  • Like 1

Go figure!   Actually, many food item containers ( cottage cheese, spreadable butter, etc.) have the number 5 recycle code.  Just check. 
You can use any glass container too.  Just be sure it has a lid. 

Edited by barbaranj
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, barbaranj said:

You can use any glass container too.  Just be sure it has a lid. 

Ya. That would be my first choice, but I don't have any big jars to toss melts in while I work on packaging. And the candle jars cost enough on their own.  :)

I'mma gonna be looking for little numbers on the bottoms of the cheapo Glad plastic section at wally world the next time grocery shopping day rolls around.  :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, barbaranj said:

Actually, many food item containers ( cottage cheese, spreadable butter, etc.) have the number 5 recycle code.  Just check. 

Cool! Just found an almost empty Country Crock butter bin in the frig that now has a new lease on life.  lol

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 12/9/2019 at 7:38 PM, barbaranj said:

You can also safely use any plastic container with the number 5 on the bottom. 

Yes, PP #5 plastic, and that's so handy because several food products we already buy come in those containers. Yogurt, sour cream, cream cheese, etc.

Edited by Laura C

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

As far as bags for storing wax melts...even full clams of wax you may have purchased...the bags MUST be Polypropylene, NOT Polyethylene. Polyethylene (PE) are like Ziplock bags: a softer, cloudy plastic versus Polypropylene (PP) which is like cellophane: crispy and crunchy for lack of a better way to describe it. It's harder to work with in my opinion because there's no "give" to that cellophane PP bags and I've ripped many trying to be greedy and squeeze one more clamshell in!

PP provides a protective barrier without compromising visibility. As I said: it's crystal clear; no haze whatsoever. It preserves the scent of the wax because of that protective barrier that makes it stiff, shiny, and barely flexible. Additionally, since it prevents evaporation or exposure to bacteria, it helps to preserve products. It's also the choice for food, candy, soaps, and is often seen if the old-fashion candy stores where candy is sold by weight. In a nutshell: PP is a protector of scent, freshness, taste, texture.

PE is used as sleeves to protect collectible magazines, comic books, photographs. Why? The cloudy appearance blocks the sun and prevents the papergoods from fading.

Here's a warning: on Amazon, you don't always get what you think you're getting. They use words like "cello" but not the word PP (Polypropylene) and in the end, 9 out of 10 times you receive PE bags. That's why it's best to go through a packaging supply company. Websites/stores/retail companies where they break out the bag categories into PE and PP. This way you're sure.

Additionally, it's VERY hard to find larger sized PP bags with a "resealable zipper lock" type closure. AT best, you'll find a glue strip that's resealable but take it from me: it looks like a crinkled mess once it's opened and resealed. So if you're selling your good..."cross your t's and dot your i's;" and "measure twice; cut once" so to speak.

Also: if you're a buyer of retail or vendor wax melts that come in clamshells: those are NOT PP plastic. You need to pack up those clamshells in the crinkly merciless PP bags.I'm an admitted hoarder of scents I love and spend hours filling the PP bags with the clamshells, labeling them, etc. Then, into a Walmart bin those packed bags go. The only way around that is to admit that you're a wax melt addict and admit that you have lost control!

So all that said...I *did* find a reputable company that sells resealable PP bags and what I mean by resealable is.......zipper seal!!! The only gripe I have is that I'd like bigger bags. AND...I had to buy quite the quantity...but I realized I could have bought less by buying the 100 option, and buying TWO of those. But no: I selected the 500 count and so it is. I send some out to friends when we do RAOKs in our group (Random Act Of Kindness). so everyone wins!

OH! The link:   https://www.royalbag.com/Polypropylene-Reclosable-Bags/category/87

Good luck!!! Any remember: be careful on Amazon!

-Karen, wild4waxmelts

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...