High end fragrance oils

CaptnKush

Does anyone know where to get high end fragrance oils similar to what Lab & Co sells? I saw Wellingtons selection that gives options of premium grade and lower but I am not sure if there premium is just the same as lets say Candle Science fragrance oil.

My take on Lab Co is they mark everything up and market it as luxury. Wellington premium grade is less cut than for there other options for crafters. Premium is most potent in strength. There are plenty of suppliers with excellent fragrance oils that are potent. If you want. “Luxury”, you should blend your own and call it a premium luxury fragrance. And or seek out some of the wholesale supply houses that make fragrances and look for unusual blends.

• Like 1

I know they do a huge markup, but after using their scents compared to CS, AZTEC etc, there is a huge difference in Lab & Co's quality, Its like walking through the perfume department at Macy's. I know I can have this quality made at AFI but I am not ready to buy their minimum purchase yet. I was just hoping to find what Lab sells at a cheaper cost to me, maybe their supplier if anyone knows.

• Thanks 1

Hi there neighbor!

Lab & Co gets their oils from Premier Specialties, Inc. in NJ.

They are strictly business to business operation.  If AFI's minimum requirement is kind of out of your reach at current stage, then you should not be able to deal with these guys yet.  There are several other companies like this at this level.  *By the way, Lab & Co is related to Dayna Decker's Lumetique Candle.

On top of these companies, there are chemical companies like "Spectrum Chemicals & Laboratory Products" in Gardena CA.  

website:  https://www.spectrumchemical.com/OA_HTML/index.jsp?minisite=10020&respid=22372&language=US  

Hiring a perfumer and directly dealing with these chemical company should be our ultimate goal or above mentioned company.

In my opinion, quality of oil is not the most important thing that we should be looking for.  If you look at AFI's fos, try to look just rose fo that they offer.  They offer 57 different kind of rose scents.  And there are 100's or 1000's different rose fragrance oils in this world.  It is our job to locate the right fo for each scent.  The one that you love and the one that could be loved by your customers.  There could be a chance that a great scent that works for you could be manufactured grade oil.  You will never know.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CandleRush said:

Agree with captnkush, there is no comparison. While I mostly use fo from most of the places mentioned  here, Lab & cos are unique and worth the money. You can mix your FOs all you want but they won’t come close in my opinion. Definitely higher end.

When you say high end does that mean it smells better or does it mean it has better HT, or maybe something I haven't thought of?

2 hours ago, calan said:

So...  I just need to spend $10/ounce for FO's and this candle-making-why-the-hell-won't-it-throw migraine will go away?

:D

Ahahaha yes, if you spend a fortune on scent, its been scientifically proven to cure migraines :D

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, sarahmarah said:

I wouldn’t mind spending the money on good quality FO accords but all those Lab & Co. oils are their own blends...I like mixing my own  scents 🤷🏻‍♀️

Yes, parent company of Lab & Co. has team of perfumer, designer & private labeling candle company, and they order their own blends to fragrance oil manufacturer.  

Are you a perfumer?  You might want to check out https://shop.perfumersapprentice.com/  They might have concentrates that you are looking for.  I am not an expert on FOs, so I might be wrong about this company.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BusyBee said:

Yes, parent company of Lab & Co. has team of perfumer, designer & private labeling candle company, and they order their own blends to fragrance oil manufacturer.  

Are you a perfumer?  You might want to check out https://shop.perfumersapprentice.com/  They might have concentrates that you are looking for.  I am not an expert on FOs, so I might be wrong about this company.

This is great, thanks for all the links you posted. I think Im gonna try this place out.

These are new to me, so I went to perfumers apprentice and the first Oil that captured my attention was Arabian Sandalwood (never made it past "A" 😂

When i checked the safety data sheet it says it says its manufacturer is Wellington, so I went to their site. The price is $46 vs $22 for 1lb or 1.1 lbs.

Is it the same Oil? 

If you want fragrances the same quality as perfume you will be spending. Perfumery aroma molecules are very spendy especially the ones that give a “high end” scent. There are many good Jo Malone dupes btw.  I would get samples from companies above and evaluate.

Wellington would most likely manufacture for them. Aroma molecules you have to know what you’re doing, and they have very specific usage rates. I would not just chuck these into candles and expect they will work or that they are safe.

I did not put Perfumer's Apprentice link for all the chandlers in here.  They only have about 10 FOs that can be used in candle.  But in order use their FOs in candle, we really have to know what we are doing just like "NightLight" said.  This link was meant to be only for "sarahmarah", who likes to mix own scents.  For all others, we still can learn little bit about process of how a scent is made from this website.  

I am satisfied with many FOs that are available thru our own suppliers mentioned in our forum.  I put "Premier Specialties" web link up there because "CaptnKush" was curious about where Lab & Co. gets their FOs.  If we were to getting bigger and growing our candle company, then next step would be to deal with companies like AFI or Premier Specialties.

Well everyone sorry for the confusion I have caused!  Happy holiday season and I wish you great successful new year!

3 hours ago, BusyBee said:

I did not put Perfumer's Apprentice link for all the chandlers in here.  They only have about 10 FOs that can be used in candle.  But in order use their FOs in candle, we really have to know what we are doing just like "NightLight" said.  This link was meant to be only for "sarahmarah", who likes to mix own scents.  For all others, we still can learn little bit about process of how a scent is made from this website.  

I am satisfied with many FOs that are available thru our own suppliers mentioned in our forum.  I put "Premier Specialties" web link up there because "CaptnKush" was curious about where Lab & Co. gets their FOs.  If we were to getting bigger and growing our candle company, then next step would be to deal with companies like AFI or Premier Specialties.

Well everyone sorry for the confusion I have caused!  Happy holiday season and I wish you great successful new year!

I did see their page for Candle fragrances. The Arabian Sandalwood isn't on that page, but I know it's a great Oil for soaping. I guess I'm just wondering if the oil they sell is the same oil Wellington sells since it says it was manufactured by them. I didn't realize oil manufacturers that retail their oils were also retailed by other companies. 

I'm in WI and for 21 years I've only purchased FO from 4 places and EO from 2 places. I feel like I'm learning a lot about oil suppliers just recently and this past year ordered sample sizes from a few new places. I learned years ago once I find an oil I like, stick with the company because under the same name, but different company, they can smell very different. I guess studying data sheet information might change how I order if I branch out to other manufacturers/suppliers.

Thanks for sharing the links, I may try a few. I've yet to find a coffee fragrance I like a lot and I see they have that on the candle FO page.

4 hours ago, Soy-N-Suds said:

I did see their page for Candle fragrances. The Arabian Sandalwood isn't on that page, but I know it's a great Oil for soaping. I guess I'm just wondering if the oil they sell is the same oil Wellington sells since it says it was manufactured by them. I didn't realize oil manufacturers that retail their oils were also retailed by other companies. 

I'm in WI and for 21 years I've only purchased FO from 4 places and EO from 2 places. I feel like I'm learning a lot about oil suppliers just recently and this past year ordered sample sizes from a few new places. I learned years ago once I find an oil I like, stick with the company because under the same name, but different company, they can smell very different. I guess studying data sheet information might change how I order if I branch out to other manufacturers/suppliers.

Thanks for sharing the links, I may try a few. I've yet to find a coffee fragrance I like a lot and I see they have that on the candle FO page.

I am not expert on FOs, so I might be wrong.  I think those oils are same except they are in different forms.  The one that is sold by Perfumer's Apprentice is concentrate FO, and the one available in Wellington is ready to use FOs by diluting with carrier oil.  When I first heard the word "dilute", I thought it was a really bad thing.  But, I learn that it is necessity part of FO making.  Carrier oil is not cheap either.

I got into habit of looking at Safety Data Sheet because it gives information on original FO manufacturer.  If you do reverse phone search on Emergency Contact phone number in Data Sheet, then totally unexpected FO manufacturer's name could pop up.  Data Sheet might give you one manufacturer's name, but emergency phone number might belongs to actual manufacturer, which could be totally different.  I found some behind the scene FO manufacturers by doing this.  This kind of search give me peace of mind.  Also, I know where I can get my FOs in case my current suppliers decided not to carry it or they close down.  

Good luck to you on your search for coffee fo! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/8/2019 at 11:49 PM, BusyBee said:

Hi there neighbor!

Lab & Co gets their oils from Premier Specialties, Inc. in NJ.

They are strictly business to business operation.  If AFI's minimum requirement is kind of out of your reach at current stage, then you should not be able to deal with these guys yet.  There are several other companies like this at this level.  *By the way, Lab & Co is related to Dayna Decker's Lumetique Candle.

On top of these companies, there are chemical companies like "Spectrum Chemicals & Laboratory Products" in Gardena CA.  

website:  https://www.spectrumchemical.com/OA_HTML/index.jsp?minisite=10020&respid=22372&language=US  

Hiring a perfumer and directly dealing with these chemical company should be our ultimate goal or above mentioned company.

In my opinion, quality of oil is not the most important thing that we should be looking for.  If you look at AFI's fos, try to look just rose fo that they offer.  They offer 57 different kind of rose scents.  And there are 100's or 1000's different rose fragrance oils in this world.  It is our job to locate the right fo for each scent.  The one that you love and the one that could be loved by your customers.  There could be a chance that a great scent that works for you could be manufactured grade oil.  You will never know.

Thanks for the info busy bee! Have you dealt with premier fragrances and/or how do you know that is the company Lab&Co uses? I have been using AFI, which I love, but I will definitely check out premier if their minimum is 10 lbs like AFI.

On 12/9/2019 at 7:14 AM, Forrest said:

When you say high end does that mean it smells better or does it mean it has better HT, or maybe something I haven't thought of?

I will just respond to this bc I have used many of them. Lab and Co really do smell "better" than most others. They just smell more complex and not only are they crazy strong, but you can really smell different notes within the fragrances. I am assuming that they really do use special (i.e. higher quality/more expensive) ingredients. With that said, I don't love all of their fragrances and neither do my customers. They are a little too unique lol! I would like to have the quality (and complexity) of Lab and Co, but with my own choices of fragrances. As far as candle science and AFI, they have crazy strong fragrances as well...but again, I think Lab and Co. (in general) has (1) better complexity and (perhaps) (2) better ingredients. For me, those 2 things ARE worth paying more.

Edited by candlesinflorida
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/10/2019 at 11:57 PM, BusyBee said:

I am not expert on FOs, so I might be wrong.  I think those oils are same except they are in different forms.  The one that is sold by Perfumer's Apprentice is concentrate FO, and the one available in Wellington is ready to use FOs by diluting with carrier oil.  When I first heard the word "dilute", I thought it was a really bad thing.  But, I learn that it is necessity part of FO making.  Carrier oil is not cheap either.

I got into habit of looking at Safety Data Sheet because it gives information on original FO manufacturer.  If you do reverse phone search on Emergency Contact phone number in Data Sheet, then totally unexpected FO manufacturer's name could pop up.  Data Sheet might give you one manufacturer's name, but emergency phone number might belongs to actual manufacturer, which could be totally different.  I found some behind the scene FO manufacturers by doing this.  This kind of search give me peace of mind.  Also, I know where I can get my FOs in case my current suppliers decided not to carry it or they close down.  

Good luck to you on your search for coffee fo! 

GREAT advice. Thank you!

• 11 months later...