IGI 4630, 4633, and 4636

calan

These all appear to be very similar, and there is a lot of discussion on all of them ( from the old J50/223 to present incarnations).

What is the real-world differences between them, and why would you choose one over the other?

I haven't used any of those listed, but there is one more very similar that you left out, and that is IGI 4627.  The 4627 is my favorite. 4630 that you have listed is almost the same as 4627 except it is in slab form. The 4627 is more like a thick Vaseline that you scoop out of a bag. Its a love it or hate it wax. But, there is no other wax that out performs it in cold and hot throw except maybe a Soy that has cured for a year :D Hope this helps. The suppliers of these waxes you listed also have reviews on them that will help you out.

Yeah... I've read tons on them on the supplier sites. Just looking for some more specific info from old-timers that have experience with them and can help with the finer points. I've been testing the 4630 and it's not bad (once I worked through some issues this weekend), but just trying to decide if one of it's cousins would be a better fit. They all seem extremely similar.

I've gone back and forth on picking up some 4627 to test for a month or two. I just don't think I would like the consistency and mess. I think 4630 is about as gooey as I want to go.  :)

Edited by calan

13 hours ago, calan said:

A week later and I still can't decide.  lol

Ughhhhh

I tend to use a basic principle or two from economics: availability, and availability of substitutes.

4630 seems the most widely available, and has a decent track record. Lots of info about wicks that work with it. If I were looking to start and not wanting to blaze my own trails with wick an FO testing from scratch, I’d probably go with 4630. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TallTayl said:

I tend to use a basic principle or two from economics: availability, and availability of substitutes.

4630 seems the most widely available, and has a decent track record. Lots of info about wicks that work with it. If I were looking to start and not wanting to blaze my own trails with wick an FO testing from scratch, I’d probably go with 4630. 

I pretty much flipped a coin and went with 10 lbs of 4636 to try.

Analysis paralysis.  :D