I need a pep talk :)

calan

Just thought I would post an update.

I tried FC's Woodland Foliage (basically a Pine scent) at 8% in the PB600, straight-sided 9oz jar, with an LX-18 wick...and it works beautifully. (Maybe a little warm at halfway, so trying an LX-16). But the scent throw is really good for a parasoy that cured for just 3 or 4 days. And the Coffee House is still fantastic in anything.

I did find that I may have not been as hot as I thought when adding FO, but after resolving that I'm still going to chalk it up mostly to the Apple Cinnamon I was testing with. It just has zero hot or cold throw, in anythng. And unfortunately, the FIreplace FO isn't much better.

@bfroberts - Thanks for suggesting that I try the zinc wicks again. The 51-32-18 worked really well in a couple of 9 oz test candles I poured with the remaining 4630, using Coffee House and and Dragon's Blood. Apple Cinnamon was still a complete dud though.

• Like 1

I’m testing blue spruce from flaming candle, wow, strong and I love it! It’s not a straight up pine and does have a very subtle vanilla note which I love. Lite pepperminty to my nose but not overbearing. Nice Xmas scent! Those pines can smell different and off to my nose.

• Like 1

I think everyone on this site can relate to this post, lol! Yep, it's what we all want. It can get so frustrating, you will start to leak brain fluid *shudder*

Sometimes, you just have to take a step away from it for a few days, weeks or months then come back to it fresh again, and with a refill of brain fluid. Sometimes, we just have to dump certain waxes or scents. I personally dumped the C3 soy wax some months ago. I literally tossed almost a full bag of it in the trash can. I'm now playing with the ProBlend and two paraffin waxes. Personally, I prefer paraffin waxes. Old school, perhaps, but so much easier to wick, in my humble opinion. 

I will play with this ProBlend 600 until I am out of it. Just poured a cappuccino and a patchouli yesterday. They both look and smell simply divine. Gorgeous wax, indeed. I'll let them cure and see what comes of it.

Then, I'll move on to playing with container paraffins, I sure to love to make pillars with it, and am looking forward to doing candle jars with it. The pillars and molded candles I've made have had wonderful scent throw and I haven't burned this place down yet. 

Breathe in, breathe out and enjoy the journey. :)

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 12/1/2019 at 8:27 PM, CandleRush said:

I’m testing blue spruce from flaming candle, wow, strong and I love it! It’s not a straight up pine and does have a very subtle vanilla note which I love. Lite pepperminty to my nose but not overbearing. Nice Xmas scent! Those pines can smell different and off to my nose.

That's my favorite right now

• 4 months later...
On 11/24/2019 at 5:07 PM, Sarah S said:

Well, if you like pre-blended waxes and you don't have a hate on for paraffin, I highly recommend Candlewic's waxes. The CBL 125 is easy to pour, looks great, and throws like a champ. The CBL 129 requires a second pour, but has a lovely white appearance and zero wet spots. Oh yeah, and throws like a champ. 😁

Their parasoy, CBL 130 is also a beautiful one-pour wax with zero wet spots. For a parasoy, it throws very well.

I don't get any kickback from Candlewic. 😉😄 I just really love their waxes!

Maybe if the Problend isn't working for you, it's time to try another blend? IGI's 4630 is a good wax too, and most oils throw very well in it. Maybe stick with that one for a bit, and try some different wicks and FOs. For a while I thought all my candles were sooty gross messes, and I was getting frustrated. The new I tested a couple fragrances outside my norm, and suddenly the candles were gorgeous. Turns out I love vanillas, ambers, spices, and resins - all the trickiest FOs to wick. 😅😅

Sorry to revive this old thread but I see you speak of CBL waxes the most so figured it would be smart to ask ya 😉 I’m currently using 6006 but not in love with it and considering trying CBL130. Would you say there’s enough of a difference between the two to warrant me spending the money to give it a shot? And if so, in your opinion what are those differences? Bad? Good? Thank you in advance 🙏🏻😊

• 6 months later...
On 11/22/2019 at 6:17 AM, TallTayl said:

Welcome to the very old, very familiar sounding club 🤣 former Aerospace IT person here. It makes more sense how a bumblebee flies than how some of these candles work.  Must be magic.

I’d pick 444 and cd wicks.  Now 444 has varied terribly between lots for me, mostly due to excess moisture in the wax.  I’ll assume your 444 is ok. All 444 wax makes cavities as it cools. Make sure to poke holes when it cools and repour to fill them up or all will be for nothing.

if you’re a process oriented person, make a plain old 444, nothing else candle to learn the wax as-is. This will make the next step much easier. It also helps identify if your wax lot is problematic. You’ll read advice here on this forum against testing one single baseline wax variable, and it’s your choice to try to skip this step.  after years of failed candles because of a simple to diagnose wax variation, I’d just do it.  

CD 7 or 8 should be a decent starting point for that container.  If your wax lot is on the harder to burn end of the spectrum, cd 9 or 10. Do not judge the wick by the first burns. Things go to hell quickly by the middle and fail miserably in the last third if overwicked at the start looking for the full immediate melt pool. Most problems people have with bad throw and soot are from overwicking, 

When you’ve dialed in your wicks, For FO, an easy thrower would likely be a floral or cologne. 6-8%. Resist the temptation to go higher,

Depending on the FO you choose, I’d start with CD 7, 8 or 9. 

give it time to cure no matter what you’re doing.  The second biggest mistake people make is impatience, testing too soon. 

good luck!

Wow ok so this is all very new and different from what I do with 444 LOL! Now I’m nervous. First of all.... CD 7, 8, 9 in a 9oz straight sided tumbler? What would be the width for that? I use an 11oz straight sided tumbler that’s a little more than 3in in diameter and I use CD 20, 22, 24... is that terrible??!

16 hours ago, ambar said:

Wow ok so this is all very new and different from what I do with 444 LOL! Now I’m nervous. First of all.... CD 7, 8, 9 in a 9oz straight sided tumbler? What would be the width for that? I use an 11oz straight sided tumbler that’s a little more than 3in in diameter and I use CD 20, 22, 24... is that terrible??!

9 oz are roughly 2.5” inside diameter.

Those wick sizes might be ok depending on the specific lot# of wax and particular FO. Watch the burns and take temps to ensure it does not exceed 170*F anywhere outside the glass.

22 hours ago, TallTayl said:

Those wick sizes might be ok depending on the specific lot# of wax and particular FO. Watch the burns and take temps to ensure it does not exceed 170*F anywhere outside the glass.

thank you!

On 12/15/2020 at 5:22 PM, TallTayl said:

I’m new to this, how do I check the lot #? Or is lot # just in general, like each batch of wax can vary? I use Golden Brands wax, but I don’t do test exterior temperatures... I just judge it based off how smokey of flickery the wick is.

25 minutes ago, ambar said:

I’m new to this, how do I check the lot #? Or is lot # just in general, like each batch of wax can vary? I use Golden Brands wax, but I don’t do test exterior temperatures... I just judge it based off how smokey of flickery the wick is.

The lot number is printed on the original carton the 50# wax came in.  If you buy less than case, usually shipped in bags, there’s usually no indication of the lot number and you will have to assume it is a different batch than others you have purchased. 

each batch of wax can vary dramatically, so I test a small jar with no additives to compare lot to lot before diving in with scent. I’ve had one lot a smoky mess and the next not burn able at all. I won’t give GB any more $ after what they have put us through since 2016. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TallTayl said:

The lot number is printed on the original carton the 50# wax came in.  If you buy less than case, usually shipped in bags, there’s usually no indication of the lot number and you will have to assume it is a different batch than others you have purchased. 

each batch of wax can vary dramatically, so I test a small jar with no additives to compare lot to lot before diving in with scent. I’ve had one lot a smoky mess and the next not burn able at all. I won’t give GB any more $ after what they have put us through since 2016. 

Hmm damn, I’ve only been buying 20lb bags so now I’m nervous. What soy wax brand would you recommend that’s consistent?