Roll-on perfume: cyclomethicone, DPG, fractionated coconut, or deodorized jojoba?

Darbla

I've seen all four mentioned as roll-on perfume bases but never compared to each other for pros and cons of each, so I'm down to making a decision and picking one and wondering if any of you would have some more useful input, tips and comparison between these three?

Edited by Darbla

I've only ever use Fractionated Coconut Oil with pretty good results.  I have had perfumers alcohol for some time but haven't had a chance to play with it yet.  I'd like to make a body spray but may have to try the roll-on too.  

I only use Fractional Coconut Oil for my roll-ons. It's not thick & heavy and absorbs well into the skin. It's odorless, unlike some carrier oils that can alter the scent of your FO/EO. I've never had any issues using FCO and refuse to use anything else.

Here's a page link to Mama Natural. It's a great review list of different carrier oils and may be of some help to you.

https://www.mamanatural.com/best-carrier-oil/

I save cyclo for sprays as it is volatile, like an alcohol. It evaporates quickly once exposed to air.

for rollers, I go with long shelf life oils like fractionated coconut and/or jojoba. Rancidity is a real issue for shorter shelf life oils in perfumery. 

if you want A slightly thicker oil, a little Cera bellina or hydrophobic silica will change the thickness enough to allow micas for stay suspended. 

Not all oils will blend with cyclomethicone. It does leave a dry silky finish on skin.

I do not recommend grape seed oil due to short shelf life.

You can also use IPM and this is similar to feel to cyclo - best with essential oils and IPM penetrates skin more than the above.

FCO is nice because of shelf life and its light.

• 2 months later...
On 11/21/2019 at 9:25 AM, TallTayl said:

I save cyclo for sprays as it is volatile, like an alcohol. It evaporates quickly once exposed to air.

for rollers, I go with long shelf life oils like fractionated coconut and/or jojoba. Rancidity is a real issue for shorter shelf life oils in perfumery. 

if you want A slightly thicker oil, a little Cera bellina or hydrophobic silica will change the thickness enough to allow micas for stay suspended. 

I swear you know EVERYTHING ! How much Cera bellina do you add ? Isn't that similar to beeswax though ? How do you incorporate it ? 

Even with a shorter shelf life grape seed oil is great. It’s so lite on the skin. I’ve never had a return! 

Ive been also testing body spray from essentials by catalina which is very promising. Eo and fo mix clear and stay clear. I use it for perfume not body spray as an alternative to roll on. 

My favorite perfume recipe is solid base of butters and oils which I put into vintage pill boxes.