Jump to content
Candybee

Recouping credit card fees

Recommended Posts

Is anyone doing this? Lately I have been considering adding a small charge to my credit card sales to try to recoup the fees I have to pay. Just wondering if anyone is doing this or something similar and if you do how did your customers respond to adding a fee?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I assume this is for "in-person" sales?  I always thought (perhaps I'm mistaken) that it was illegal/against credit card rules to charge extra for using a credit card.  I think the way people get around this is to give a discount if you pay in cash.  

 

Of course, you could just raise all your prices to cover the credit card fees.  Then you wouldn't need to explain the whole two-prices deal to customers over and over again.   

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't realize it was not legal. So that would definitely be a no. I really don't want to raise my prices. Will have to think on this some more. Still wondering if others have made any adjustments to their prices to recoup fees so if you have I'd like to know what and how customers responded. Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The laws regarding this changed a few years ago, but you might want to read up on them just to clarify.  I think it is still illegal in some states.  My fees are always built into the cost of the products.  I consider it just another cost of doing business.  We do require a minimum purchase amount to use a cc.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes my prices are built around my COG and they are working great for me. But CC sales fees have gone up on Square so that is what is making me reconsider and rethink my pricing.

 

RE minimum purchase I believe that is against credit card company policies. Last time I read their rules they stated you can't require a minimum for a purchase. However, some don't require a signature for purchases under $10. It could have changed but I have always been careful not to require a minimum purchase amount.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I started requiring a minimum purchase for credit cards after I did one event with a lot of $2-3 cc purchases. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Candybee said:

I didn't realize it was not legal. So that would definitely be a no. I really don't want to raise my prices. Will have to think on this some more. Still wondering if others have made any adjustments to their prices to recoup fees so if you have I'd like to know what and how customers responded. Thanks.

 

Well either way you're raising prices, either on those that pay via CC or on everyone.  Inflation is a real thing...customers shouldn't expect your prices to never change.  When was the last time you raised your prices?  I get it if you just raised them last year, but if they've stayed the same for 3+ years, a little bump shouldn't scare away THAT many customers.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Candybee said:

Yes my prices are built around my COG and they are working great for me. But CC sales fees have gone up on Square so that is what is making me reconsider and rethink my pricing.

 

RE minimum purchase I believe that is against credit card company policies. Last time I read their rules they stated you can't require a minimum for a purchase. However, some don't require a signature for purchases under $10. It could have changed but I have always been careful not to require a minimum purchase amount.

Minimum purchase requirements are allowed for cc purchases, but the min. can't be more than $10.  This was all changed with the new laws too.  This only applies to cc purchases, not debit.  May vary according to state law. IDK.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would do both, raise your prices .25-.50 per item and also set a min of $10 for credit card use.  I guess if you use Square you'll need to say debit or credit.  We take credit only $10 or more but any amount on debit because our fee is so low on debit.  Credit card fees go up every year and between that and shipping fees it''s affecting even the bigger stores not just us small businesses.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm going to adjust my system for the upcoming year.  I'm going to have a 10.00 minimum credit card charge policy.  This year I got a lot of small charges and it was frustrating.    You can charge a credit card fee.  I just had a service done and they charged 3% which was 3.00 for me.  I've had other vendors at shows charging fees as well.  Not sure I want to do that.  I do need to raise my price on a couple items for sure though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One strategy that worked well for me was to raise prices only on single item purchases.
 

For instance:

 a lip balm would normally be $3 or so. I raised the price of a single to $4, and added a multiple item purchase of 3 for $10.

Melt clams $5 for one, 3 for $12

Soap was $6 for one, 4 for $20.

a candle tin was $11,  3 for $30

you get the idea.  Everything had a “deal” for multiples that equaled the target price per item. 

result: no hard feelings or awkwardness. The small charges were covered with room to spare. Most people took the “deal” to save money.  most transactions got to my target min of $20.  that overall pricing strategy increased my year over year totals by quite a noticeable %. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

22 hours ago, Candybee said:

But CC sales fees have gone up on Square so that is what is making me reconsider and rethink my pricing.

After all the math and figuring everything out after my last show with cc sales, and the increase in cc fees charged by Square, my out of pocket increase was less than $5 total, and I sold more this year than I have in past years, so to me, that <$5 is not worth even worrying about. 

If it was in the high $$ amount, then I would just up my prices overall to cover it. However, I just raised my prices 2 years ago, so another increase so soon seems too much. 

Last I checked, it is still illegal here to charge cc fees to the consumer, but that was quite a while ago, so I guess I should check again. It could have changed... 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Jcandleattic said:

 

After all the math and figuring everything out after my last show with cc sales, and the increase in cc fees charged by Square, my out of pocket increase was less than $5 total, and I sold more this year than I have in past years, so to me, that <$5 is not worth even worrying about. 

If it was in the high $$ amount, then I would just up my prices overall to cover it. However, I just raised my prices 2 years ago, so another increase so soon seems too much. 

Last I checked, it is still illegal here to charge cc fees to the consumer, but that was quite a while ago, so I guess I should check again. It could have changed... 

 

I'm torn because at first the fee structure changes didn't seem to make a whole lot of difference until the next week or so when I got an increase in my CC sales. What I mean is the $ .10 per trans fee is what is making a more noticeable difference. On big sales days I can have lots of CC sales and those $.10 per trans started to really add up and I haven't done my last 3 big Christmas shows yet where I do a larger volume of CC sales.

 

Although I must admit it is not yet a large enough difference for me to have to make an immediate price increase/change. Perhaps I need to go through my Christmas sales and see if my overall sales for the season have been affected.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, TallTayl said:

One strategy that worked well for me was to raise prices only on single item purchases.
 

For instance:

 a lip balm would normally be $3 or so. I raised the price of a single to $4, and added a multiple item purchase of 3 for $10.

Melt clams $5 for one, 3 for $12

Soap was $6 for one, 4 for $20.

a candle tin was $11,  3 for $30

you get the idea.  Everything had a “deal” for multiples that equaled the target price per item. 

result: no hard feelings or awkwardness. The small charges were covered with room to spare. Most people took the “deal” to save money.  most transactions got to my target min of $20.  that overall pricing strategy increased my year over year totals by quite a noticeable %. 

 

I do something very similar. I have 2 for and 3 for and 5 for special sales that are aimed at giving customers a nice discount for buying in volume. It simply costs more to purchase 1 item so my customers tend to buy the special volume sales to take advantage of the discount. I read about this in a marketing article years ago and was glad to adopt the strategy that led to a powerful increase in sales. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I too already do the discount for multiples.  It's worked well.  I may just increase single purchase price.  Great idea.  Thank you!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shari said:

I too already do the discount for multiples.  It's worked well.  I may just increase single purchase price.  Great idea.  Thank you!

 

I believe this is key and am glad both you and TT reminded me of this. I will take a look at my spreadsheets and see about possibly raising my single purchase prices.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...