Black Magic, first scent you think of

kandlekrazy

I was asked to create a scent for a former client.  I'm usually fairly good at this but I'm drawing blanks on this one.  Black Magic, I think can go so many ways.  I immediately thought earthy scents but then I thought maybe not.  HELP!!  What do you think of?  I don't want a pre-blended scent unless it's used as a component only.  I'd love to do this in EO.

WSP Black Rose & Spice that I talk about here is the witchiest thing I can think of that's not Witches Brew:  https://www.craftserver.com/topic/113813-rose-scents-and-items-for-valentines-day-and-any-time-really/?tab=comments#comment-1080181

Black Amethyst comes to mind.  And this one from NG:  https://www.naturesgardencandles.com/strike-a-pose-fragrance-oil

I don't have those last two (yet) so I'm mentioning them just based on notes and other people's comments.  But that Black Rose & Spice I can heartily recommend.  My notes on it are in that post and I'm still enamored of it.

• Like 1

To me it when I think Black Magic, I think incense, sulfer, and spice, so first FO I think of is Dragon's Blood mixed with Amish Harvest. (mind you, I have never done this mix, but in my mind I can totally smell it, and quite honestly, as soon as I get home from work, I'm going to mix these two and see what happens. In my mind it's AWESOME - LOL) 

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Jcandleattic said:

To me it when I think Black Magic, I think incense, sulfer, and spice, so first FO I think of is Dragon's Blood mixed with Amish Harvest. (mind you, I have never done this mix, but in my mind I can totally smell it, and quite honestly, as soon as I get home from work, I'm going to mix these two and see what happens. In my mind it's AWESOME - LOL) 

Please let us know how that smells ..seems interesting 

"Black Magic" makes me think of a dark fragrance (e.g. patchouli, dragon's blood, incense, dark woods) with subtle nuances of a somewhat brighter scent (e.g dark fruits, spicy vanilla, exotic greens, creamy citruses.)  To me, the subtle brighter notes are the "magic" to the "black."

• Like 2

On 11/19/2019 at 11:58 AM, Jcandleattic said:

Ooh, sulfer, now there's a "dark" fragrance I haven't worked with. My brain is racing with blending ideas!

I'm not yet able to find a sulfer-like FO through Google search. Is there such a thing, I wonder?

49 minutes ago, Dreamer said:

Ooh, sulfer, now there's a "dark" fragrance I haven't worked with. My brain is racing with blending ideas!

I'm not yet able to find a sulfer-like FO through Google search. Is there such a thing, I wonder?

I'm not sure, probably if it's to be found it will be found on SOS. 

I was thinking more along the lines of incense and spice, but sulfer also came to mind, but not sure I would actually use that in a candle/soap. 

I guess I am the odd one here. The first thing that pops into my head is dark cherry or blackberry. A dark berry blend with maybe some spice like cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger. With maybe a note of citrus like lemon, and then something to make it heady like notes of patchouli, sandalwood, or something woodsy. A hint of sweet like vanilla and a touch of musk like white musk. Your strong notes should be a dark, sweet, spicy berry blend with the other notes being more subtle and lending to a rounded out fruity, spicy, berry blend.

• Like 1

On 11/19/2019 at 8:58 AM, Jcandleattic said:

I actually have both those fo's on hand so I'll give it a whirl, thanks for the advice.

23 hours ago, Candybee said:

I guess I am the odd one here. The first thing that pops into my head is dark cherry or blackberry. A dark berry blend with maybe some spice like cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger. With maybe a note of citrus like lemon, and then something to make it heady like notes of patchouli, sandalwood, or something woodsy. A hint of sweet like vanilla and a touch of musk like white musk. Your strong notes should be a dark, sweet, spicy berry blend with the other notes being more subtle and lending to a rounded out fruity, spicy, berry blend.

Thanks, I don't think you're odd, or maybe I am too.  I thought black cherry & patchouli at first.  I'm going to do a bunch of swab tests to see if any of these make a good mix.  I don't want it to smell like witches brew so prob avoid spices or maybe just as an undernote.

• Like 1

On 11/21/2019 at 2:38 PM, Jcandleattic said:

I'm not sure, probably if it's to be found it will be found on SOS. 

I was thinking more along the lines of incense and spice, but sulfer also came to mind, but not sure I would actually use that in a candle/soap. 

SOS was the first place I looked, they seem to have all the "weird" scents lol! I actually enjoy the smell of sulfur. Blending it might be tricky and the finished product would definitely be an avant-garde fragrance, but I would be excited to test it. If I ever find a FO, that is.