Brambleberry making me crazy!

1 hour ago, NightLight said:

That’s the one! But she does a tutorial on tins just plopping wicks in unsecured. Ahhhhhhhhh!

Oh my gosh...the whole thing was just horrible.  Did you see that cup of EO she used?  And then she gets out the torch.  
My head's about to explode just thinking about it.  

Edited by bfroberts
ETA: Now I gotta go find the one you're talking about...LOL

1 hour ago, TallTayl said:

Oh go back in time. Love the vid where she lays no attention to wick recommendations. She uses bigger wicks because she loves fast hot throw.  🙈

Oh JEEZE... SUCH excitement!!!! 

I'm sitting here remembering the old ladies melting down clear plastic milk jugs and hot glue sticks to make hard dipping wax. They would also get a large piece of lead split shot (like the kind used in fishing) and pinch it onto a length of cotton trussing twin with their teeth and then dip that into a mix of hot paraffin and vaseline to load their wicks.  Russians would just take a wick (COMPLETELY UNSECURED) and literally ROLL it up in a lopsided rectangular piece of beeswax comb and that was the STANDARD beeswax candle over there.

😂 

❤️ 
Sponiebr

The Executor of Bad Ideas and Sundry Services 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Shari said:

I've found a lot of their tutorials are purely just to sell their supplies.   Even some of their soapmaking and bath and body things make me go hmmm...

That is exactly the purpose. 

mission accomplished I’d say. 

• Haha 1

I don’t mind that. I do mind when they have tutorials that don’t work, or are not safe. I find many of them are made for the newbie and they cut corners on how to properly make product etc. Not having wicks secured when playing with Fire is really not good!

Reminds me of a Martha Stewart recipes. I had too many that were not tested and complete failures, so I don’t go there anymore and stick to Serious Eats where they are very obsessive testing...

17 hours ago, NightLight said:

Not having wicks secured when playing with Fire is really not good!

Let me ask something here. (And I know at least one of the answers) 

So the only thing this applies to is container candles? I guess it could apply to a pillar candle, but WHY is this a problem? I virtually NEVER saw ANY candles in Russia with ANY wick securments, EVER, and these folks actually use candles as lighting as a necessity. There weren't many fires that I recall seeing or hearing about during the time I was there.

The beeswax comb tapers were generally underwicked, (for good reason) and they burned really fast as there was more fluff than wax I guess. They were dim as hell at first but after about 5 minutes they picked up a pretty good flame. The wicks would char, curl and drop most of the time. I don't remember them burning for more than maybe an hour for a 10 "x 1" taper (it's been a LONG time ago though)  

So, theoretically  in the container candle the wick falls over and burns the glass side and shatters the candle. Isn't that attributable to a specific issue of an undersized container? 

IF the container were large enough, when the wick falls over it should usually snuff out OR burn with a SIGNIFICANTLY lower flame size, right? If it's burning right the wick isn't going to fall over before it hits somewhere near the end of the candle, right?  

I think everyone knows I'm not a chandler, but I'm confused here. Now I can see your insurance company and the liability demons coming for you if you DIDN'T secure the wick, but as a practical issue I don't understand the concern. Does the average wick not fall over and snuff so that these are very likely to become molotov cocktails? Or is this more of the order of they won't burn properly and be fully consumed and will soot up the containers and not look good? I can see that improperly burning candles would be a HUGE issue for someone that produces candles to sell, you don't need that kind of negativity, and I get that...

Anywhoo...  

Poltergeist Theyre Here GIF - Poltergeist TheyreHere Horror GIFs

I'm Heeeeeeere... 

I've been away for awhile but this is an interesting post to come back to. 

Slainte, 

Sponiebr 
The Executor of Bad Ideas and Sundry Services.     

• Like 1

In containers the wax is much softer (typically) than pillars and tapers.  Unsecured tabbed wicks in a glass container can “wander”, or slide to the side during the burn. This leaves the wick upright (or possibly tipped), but close to the glass, causing a potential shatter.

and yes, undersized containers (overwicked) is also a big problem.  This is what I see most in hand made candles.  People mistake huge hot wicks and deep hot melt pools for being a “good” candle. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1