layered help

I've been trying to make layered candles and they keep coming out with the top two layers mottled or deformed in some way. The bottom layer always comes out perfect. I've tried heating the mold in an oven at 200 for 5 minutes. I've tried pouring my layers within 15-20 minutes of each other (as soon as I see the first layer start to solidify), and I've tried waiting a longer time 1 1/2 -2 hours for the first layer to harden. I just don't know any other tricks to try. Here is a photo of what I mean. The pink is 4625, and the orange is CBL 141 both at 6% fragrance. 

Side Note: My calculations on colorant seem to be off. That's why it looks like the candles are meant to be one color instead of three. 

layered mottling.JPG

Edited by LisaMW

On 11/13/2019 at 10:15 AM, LisaMW said:

Sorry, forgot to list the temps in my original post. First layer 175, second layer 180, third layer 185. I pour single color candles at 180 and don't have this rustic look issue.

I haven't made layered candles in a long time, but I dabble with chunk pillars and some other techniques now and then.  I also think your wax might be too cool.  Maybe try pouring at about 185dF.

I haven't tried pouring all three layers closer to 185. I was under the impression that each layer should be slightly hotter then the one before it. I do my final fill in the sink hole pour at 190. I've never tried going above that so I don't know what happens if you go too high. I will try keeping all the layers closer to 185 next time.

Nope, pouring all layers at 185 didn't work. Bottom layer perfect top layers still a mess. Is it possible that 6% is too much fragrance oil or that I'm stirring the fragrance in enough before pouring? I don't have this problem with a single color candle so I wasn't thinking fragrance load. At this point I am primarily focused on cbl 141. I know that's not discussed as much as 4625 so I understand that some of you may not know how to troubleshoot this wax.

Ok try this. After first pour is hard enough that if you tip the mold you don't see a mound forming, take a heat gun and heat the remaining portion of mold that is visible ( not too much) then pour the next layer and so on. Your pour temps are good, I think your mold is cooling down too much. I don't use non mottling wax for pillars so its a little different. For the  mottling wax you do pour the next layer 5-10 degrees hotter than the melting point of the wax for each layer and if you just want to pour all at once. You can also add a little of the Vybar for pillars, its supposed to stop any kind of mottling.