4627 wax, HTP or LX for self-trimming?

I've been using this wax for a few months now and I love it, but due to the inconsistency with thin wooden wicks I gotta switch to regular wicks.

I've used HTP and LX plenty before but I've never managed to get the 'self-trimming' to work like I've heard about. Whenever I'd light the candle for the 2nd time without trimming I'd get a high smoking flame.

Is mushrooming causing this to happen? I don't get much with HTP but a fair bit with LX. 

I have to use quite a high FO load (but not max) because my fragrances are light, but just wondered if there was anything else I've overlooked before dropping the amount. I'm not using dye right now and the melt pools are a tad under what I'm shooting for so I don't think they're overwicked. In a 8oz tin I'm using HTP 83 / 93, and LX 18 / 20 / 22.

Any tips would be much appreciated before I go wasting a bunch more supplies playing with this whole self-trimming thing lol.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/12/2019 at 7:07 PM, ErronB said:

I've been using this wax for a few months now and I love it, but due to the inconsistency with thin wooden wicks I gotta switch to regular wicks.

I've used HTP and LX plenty before but I've never managed to get the 'self-trimming' to work like I've heard about.

In a 8oz tin I'm using HTP 83 / 93, and LX 18 / 20 / 22.

I'm just starting to test this wax in a custom parasol blend. I'm using jars in several sizes which burn cooler, but I'd be interested in knowing if anyone has experience to the OP since I have some tins to use up.

On 11/12/2019 at 5:07 PM, ErronB said:

I've used HTP and LX plenty before but I've never managed to get the 'self-trimming' to work like I've heard about. Whenever I'd light the candle for the 2nd time without trimming I'd get a high smoking flame.

Is mushrooming causing this to happen? I don't get much with HTP but a fair bit with LX. 

I have to use quite a high FO load (but not max) because my fragrances are light, but just wondered if there was anything else I've overlooked before dropping the amount. I'm not using dye right now and the melt pools are a tad under what I'm shooting for so I don't think they're overwicked. In a 8oz tin I'm using HTP 83 / 93, and LX 18 / 20 / 22.

Any tips would be much appreciated before I go wasting a bunch more supplies playing with this whole self-trimming thing lol.

Try a smaller wick, this wax should throw for you without having to overwick. I would try HTP72 or 73 or LX 16...

If your flames are too big I suspect you are wicking too big...

ECO wicks could actually do a really good job in this wax with certain jars also... Eco 2 to 6

• Like 1