Add Crisco Shortening ???

I read this  in a candle making manual on Natures Garden site.  any one use the Cristco?

Crisco shortening helps to decrease wet spots, increases your melt pool, absorbs fragrance, and helps to decrease the likelihood of your fragrance oil sitting on the bottom of your pouring pots. We use 1-2 oz. of Crisco shortening per pound of wax. You will probably read conflicting opinions on using Crisco in your candles; however, if it had been such a bad idea, then wax manufacturers would not now be making wax out of soy. Crisco is soy. Use your own judgment on this one!

• Like 1

Crisco used to be a go to additive in candle making several years back. The general consensus was that it didn't really help with scent throw or wet spots as claimed. Additionally it actually made candles smoke more when burning producing awful black sooty jars. I tried it for a while during the "crisco" craze to see for myself. After experimenting several months making lots of different candles and using different waxes to see its effectiveness I had to throw in the towel and quit. It just didn't perform as claimed and created more problems I just didn't want to add on to my candlemaking.

21 hours ago, karinz40 said:

How about the Vybars? I'm confused on which to use to get my melts stronger scent.  I use 415 and sometimes 464 for the melts

Vybars are more for hardening the wax, and don't really help with a stronger throw - too much and it can actually bind your scent and not throw at all. 

I don't use soy, could never get it to throw for me, and was just too finicky for my tastes, so I can't offer help on that, but someone should be able to come along and help out with those waxes.