scented layered pillar candle tutorial

Does any one know where to find a good tutorial on layered scented candle (same scent throughout)? I want to give layering a try but I'm curious how different the technique is compared to a single color candle. For instance do you still need to poke holes or are the layers small enough that relief holes wont make a difference? I'm currently assuming some relief holes are still necessary but how far down would you poke if using different colors? Also, what's the best way of separating out your wax, colors, and fragrance? I would think there are some layering techniques that are good for unscented candles that don't necessarily work for scented, and maybe others that wouldn't work for layering with different scents. I keep finding tutorials on unscented layered candles or jar candles with a single pour wax, so I'm wondering if there's any advice out there for scented layered pillars.

Here is a link to the directions for making layered candles: this is posted in the tutorial section....btw: Judy makes beautiful candles and is more than a worthy teacher.  You might even consider searching thru older posting by Judy to get some ideas.  I've posted a few pics myself (some rustics and some regular)along with many other talented members......go back as far as 2005 in the photo gallery and you will find many pics that are guaranteed to make you drool. NOTE:  if you don't want rustics then pour at a higher temp as the cooler pouring temp is what give that rustic effect.

Edited by Pam W

Poking relief holes in each layer will not effect the outside appearance of the candle. As for pouring different scents in different layers, I choose a scent that works well with the scent below it, i.e.,  say if the 1st layer is a floral, then I'll pour a vanilla on top of that....as that 2nd layer melts down into the 1st, the scents are compatable ...then the 3rd scent should be something that will blend well with vanilla and so on...make sense?

On 11/4/2019 at 5:58 PM, CaptnKush said:

Post a pic of some of your failed candles. They might be surprisingly good to the rest of us.

Show us what you have created so that we can guide you from there.

"I would think there are some layering techniques that are good for unscented candles that don't necessarily work for scented, and maybe others that wouldn't work for layering with different scents."

No, when pouring a layered candle, it doesn't matter whether the wax is scented or not......it's all in the pouring  technique....aka, the temps.

Sometimes being a Newbie, we tend to overthink things(totally outta fear of doing something wrong)...........just mix up your wax...add your FO and pour your 1st layer....poke relief holes after a little while, then do your 2nd pour after poking your relief holes (this will not effect the visual effect of the candle because the outside surface of the candle as already set up...the relief holes help the next pour adhere to the interior of the first pour)

Pls let us know what wax you are using and if you are pouring pillars or containers so we can help guide you along your journey.

Here are some photos of a candle I did with candlewic's 141. The top layer was poured around 175 and the middle and bottom layers were poured at 180. This wax isn't supposed to mottle and I used 6% fragrance in all three layers, so I don't know why the top layers don't look smooth like the bottom layer does. Another question I have is those bubbles as the candle is burning. Hopefully you can see what I mean in the picture. They are clearly were I poked the relief holes, so did I poke the hole too early, too late, did I not heat the second layer hot enough, or are those little air bubble normal for layered candle? 

Pam W I got your message. Thank you for taking the time to try to help a newbie like me.

layered candle.JPG

air holes.JPG

Edited by LisaMW