Pillar candle divots

Hi everyone,

I’m new to candle making. I’ve come across a problem that I’m hoping you can hep me with. I’m making pillar candles (3”X4.5”) and I keep ending up with divots on the bottom of the candles. I started with sink holes and through adjusting my timing on the second and third pour I’ve managed to get it down to a noticeable divot. I’m not sure if there’s even more timing adjustments I have to make or if there’s a way that I can smooth the bottoms out with, maybe with a heat gun, but I just can’t seem to get a perfect or nearly perfect bottom. I have had this problem with all the waxes I’ve tried. Mostly I’m using IGI 4625. I’ve also used ProBlend 650 and 450. The ProBlend waxes see to do a little better. Candlewic’s 4045 did the best and I want to try their 141 because I don’t much care for the mottled look, but that’s what came in the kit I bought from them.

My current process is to:
Heat the wax to 180 and add coloring and fragrance 1ounce per pound
Pour at 170 just under the rim of the mold
Poke relief holes after 60mins
Second pour at 180 filled to just below first pour about 2 and a half hours after relief holes, 3 and a half hours from first pour
Poke relief holes about 15mins after second pour
Third pour about 15mins after poking relief holes

Everything always looks good until about an hour after the third pour, about 4 and a half hours in to the process. Then I start to see the wax cave. Like I said it’s not a big divot, but it is clearly a divot. I would love to here thoughts on how I can smooth out the bottoms. Thank you in advance.

sometimes a 2nd pour is necessary...that and the use of a heat gun.  Then if a little leveling is required, use a hot plate. 

You just have to remember that some waxes will shrink no matter what you do.

Now the real question is:  how is the hot throw of the candles that you produce?

• 2 weeks later...

Here are some photos of my divots. I don't know that the angle really shows their depth. The Blue one is Candlewic 141 and the red one is igi 4625. The 141 came out a bit better and at this point I think that's as flat as I can get the bottoms. Both of these candles had two final pours. one about 3 1/2 hours after to the first to fill the sink holes, and then a top of pour about a half later. There were holes poked before each pour.

candle bottom blue.png

candle bottom red.png

That’s pretty normal.  Often the final top off pour is made when the candle is more cool so there’s less potential for shrinkage, but not always. You need to weigh the time and effort with the overall value of that time spent. 

if you’re OK losing a little height, you can level perfectly smooth on a griddle.  

• 5 weeks later...

When I make pillars, and I've repoured twice....I figure I'm done. Small shrinkage or not, I don't stay up late to do a repour. Next morning, I carve it with a small exacto knife to somewhat level it. That's the beauty of handmade, it doesn't have to be perfect if it's lovely, interesting, burns beautifully and has a great scent.