Hello all!

im new to candle making. I’ve been working with 100% soy. I’ve been making them in 8 ounce tins,(3 inch diameter)  but having a hard time finding a wick that works well and gives a good MP.  I’m using 8% FO and have great CT but having a harder time getting a strong HT. Idk if it’s related to wax or wick?? All the wicks I’ve tried either leave tunneling or too hot and I’m scared it’s burning off scent. I’ve used wax, wood, and cotton beeswax coated. (All from commercial retailers) all claim to burn for 3 inch but I’ve found NOT the case. 😡 Again not sure if I need a soy blend or it’s the wick??? Please help!  Thank you!!

CT in soy can be strong and lovely and HT non-existant. There’s no rhyme or reason. Stick with a reputable company and try some different oils. 8% is a fairly good % to be using in soy. You may be able to go down to 6%. Just test!  Don’t forget to let soy cure for 2 weeks (minimum) before you test. Makes all the difference

• Thanks 1

I think you should have gotten a full melt pool for a 2 hour burn..try the cd 18 wick , and if you go to candle science and check out their wick guide it will say the cd 18 wick will work. Doesn't always mean it works for everyone. I have been using soy and i started with tins then went to jars with about the same dimension and the cd 18 works great. But i have only been doing this since march..so hope this is helpful.

• Thanks 1

Tins are a different beast.  If you shoot for a full melt pool quickly at the top you will be in for a hot, possibly dangerous surprise within a couple of burns. The bottom will be hot enough to scorch the table beneath the tin. 

that currently looks maybe one size underwicked for the length of burn you describe. Tins are 3” wide, so burn at least 3-4 hours per session.  Then power burn one to see how radically different it burns. 

what wax, fragrance and exact wick are you using?