ProBlend 600

Hey all.  Anyone out there with ProBlend 600 experience?  I just started playing with it and love everything about it but, wow, is it soft.  I cored a candle I made a couple of days ago to take a look through the middle to see if there were any air bubbles, etc.  What I found is that the wax in the center of the candle was the consistency of thick peanut butter.  The surface of the candle is somewhat firm but you can still make an impression with a bit, but not a lot, of effort.

Is this something that will firm up somewhat as the candle ages?  Are you having to use Vybar or Stearic or some other additive?  Or is it one of those out of sight, out of mind, don't worry about it things. Just concerns me how it's going to hold up in warmer weather if it remains that soft 

On 10/22/2019 at 6:44 PM, xxxAlpha71xxx said:

Hey all.  Anyone out there with ProBlend 600 experience?  I just started playing with it and love everything about it but, wow, is it soft.  I cored a candle I made a couple of days ago to take a look through the middle to see if there were any air bubbles, etc.  What I found is that the wax in the center of the candle was the consistency of thick peanut butter.  The surface of the candle is somewhat firm but you can still make an impression with a bit, but not a lot, of effort.

Is this something that will firm up somewhat as the candle ages?  Are you having to use Vybar or Stearic or some other additive?  Or is it one of those out of sight, out of mind, don't worry about it things. Just concerns me how it's going to hold up in warmer weather if it remains that soft 

That is interesting.....I've just started testing Problend 600 and I have not had this experience.  Are you letting it cool somewhere that is away from a heat source blowing on it?

• Thanks 1

I’ve used that wax and did not experience the peanut butter consistency. True it is a softer wax, not soft once it cools. I never considered adding anything because my results were good. Mine is from Flamings. I’d reach out to the place you purchased and let them know. I’m wondering if it’s the fragrance if you used one.

• Thanks 1

That sorted itself out after they sat for a couple of days.  Now I'm messing around with wicks.  FC's wick recommendation for PB600 was Premiers but I get absolutely no HT.  I put a candle in our bathroom that was wicked with a premier and asked wife to rate the scent strength from 1-10.  She gave it a zero.  Same candle with an ECO wick she gave a 7.    Trying zinc vs Eco at the moment.

Edited by xxxAlpha71xxx

I did not experiment much with this wax so my wick suggestions are limited. I had some success with eco wicks, they do burn hot in this wax. Check some posts here and you may find some suggestions.

The addition of paraffin in this wax works nicely in this blend, I had no issues with frosting or sink holes, smooth as ice. 

But, still working with my go to wax, lab co coconut and flamings 464.  Every combo has issues.

4630 reminds me of problend 600. 

• 3 weeks later...

I've done quite a bit more testing with the problend 600, and I just can't get any HT out of it... from 6% up to 10%, with CD, Premier, ECO, LX, and even wooden wicks. 2 week cure time on some, various jars... just doesn't have any HT (and not much CT either). I'm using NG's Fireplace, FC Coffee House and FC Apple Cinnamon for testing, in 9 oz straight-sided jars and 8oz smooth-sided (short) mason jars.

It also seems finicky about wick size, and can be as smokey as straight parafin blends. The only wick that hasn't mushroomed was an ECO, but it was too hot and smokey. CD's were also sooty.

I'm starting to hate this "hobby"  :)

Edited by calan
  • Like 1