(This is going to be weird)....My daughter asked me to make....

bfroberts

...something like "lip balm for her nose." 

She's in nursing school and wants something "that smells strong like Vicks vapor rub" that she can use on her nose during clinicals to mask whatever unpleasant things she's smelling.  She wants it in a lip balm tube so she can carry it in her pocket.  I have some experience with lip balm, and I have all the normal supplies.  I'm just trying to figure out if this needs to be formulated like a lip balm or more like a lotion bar....or I don't know what.  I'll be using a Eucalyptus Mint FO that is safe to use in facial lotions up to 22.2%.  I just don't really know exactly how to go about formulating something that's going around the nostrils.  (And I have told her this cannot be used inside her nose.)

Weird, I know.

Any ideas?

I use lip balm around my nose in the cold weather.

Something soft-ish with easy payout works on my tender skin. Eucalyptus and such might be a bit zingy, so I’d go on the lower range. 

you may end up with a cool unintended retail line out of this. Woot!

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

I use lip balm around my nose in the cold weather.

Something soft-ish with easy payout works on my tender skin. Eucalyptus and such might be a bit zingy, so I’d go on the lower range. 

you may end up with a cool unintended retail line out of this. Woot!

Thank you.  A lip balm for the nose it will be.

I was afraid the FO would be zingy, so I mixed a little with FCO and put it on my nose.  No zing.  It was actually quite nice.  Not nearly as strong as I had expected, but nice.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

Its literally vicks vapor rub.  My background is in pathology, and I used vicks.  After a while you just get used to all the odors and you dont need it anymore. You go a bit nose blind. 

You could make a balm using menthol and eucalyptus if you didnt like the petroleum aspect of Vicks. Or donning a mask with a drop or two of essential oil on the inside helps during particularly odiferous procedures. 

I use a lip balm around my nose as it gets sore during the winter and when we're not feeling well.  I added a bit of lavender and some eucalyptus EO to mine.  just enough to kind of be like vicks. but not.