Trying to figure out palm votives (w/pics)

I am trying to figure out what to expect from palm votives.  Obviously they don't burn like regular votives.  Should they?  Here's pics using CW's palm pillar wax and their recommended wick.  This is about 2 hours into the first burn.  It's burning like a palm pillar with a blowout.  But I have no idea what it's supposed to do.  Does anyone know?
(I realize this isn't an appropriate container, but it's what I had available...and clean...LOL)

votive1.thumb.jpg.76c69157348840099e1a15b6222bb9fa.jpgvotive2.thumb.jpg.e7932f7d0234cab2a58027adf3f79259.jpg

In the right sized container it would look a whole lot more “normal”. The flame looks a bit large, possibly because of the blowout. 

i love palm votives.  They start with a thin shell early in the burn, which glows and consumes further down the container. The taper of the votive holders makes the shell at the top very desirable for safety. The shell should gently weep into a small melt pool for a long, long, fragrant burn. 

• Like 1

What wick are you using? I have wicked the Palm 2 votives with Premiers, HTPs, and CSNs, and although the Premiers do ok with (for a votive) a big wick, I think that CSNs have the nicest burn and the best throw.

I have really tried to get other wicks to work with my palm wax candles, because I am terrified that CS will discontinue the CSNs. But in every palm candle I've made, from container to votive to pillar, they have out performed the others.

That being said, I have yet to try the NST treated RRDs, which I hear do well with that special coating for acid resistance. I'm having a hard time justifying spending money on more wicks when I have one that already works. 🤣

Like TT said, the shell on the palm votive is what sets them apart from other votives, so you're walking a fine line of not-too-much, not-too-little. Usually I lose the shell about halfway through the life of the votive. 

I'm trying to get my daughter to love votives. She burns candles in her room with her door shut, and with a 8-12oz container it can get overwhelming. I really think a votive would give her a nice fragrance witout destroying her olfactory receptors. 😂

• Like 1

@Sarah S, I'm using Eco's & palm 3 ATM.  I started with RRD NST 34, which is the smallest RRD I have, and it was a fail.  I don't have any small CSN's, so I had to go with what I had.  The Eco was a pleasant surprise.  CW recommends Eco's (and RRD) but their recommended sizes for Eco are way off IMO.  But what the heck do I know?  I've only tested 3 votives....LOL.
I'm not very impressed with the RRD's, NST or otherwise.  I mean, they do work, but I think CSN's work much better.  
I've never had a love for votives until recently.  It's super satisfying to have one little votive scent up my whole space.  At this point I think I'm gonna need more than 6 votive molds...LOL.

• Like 1