Whatcha making?

Crafty1_AJ

I recently got back into soapmaking mode.  I don't like making soap in Missouri's hot and humid summers, because heat and humidity are not very friendly to my curing soap!  I tend to make most of my soap during the drier fall / winter months.  We recently got cooler weather, so here we go!

Just cut batches of Grandma's Old Fashioned (unscented), F&M, Close Shave Soap, and Winter Landscape, a woodsy blend I make every fall.  F&M d's to brown, so I put a light gold mica swirl in that one, because hey - you can't have frankincense and myrrh without the gold, right?  :D  Winter Landscape is light blue with white swirls.  Close Shave is scented with essential oils, and I don't color that one.  It comes out a nice soft yellow on its own.

Now to wash my mold liners and start up again.  I think I'll make Almond Biscotti and Jasmine, because I always have customers at my December show who request those.  Maybe some Peppercorn, which smells awesome even though it does A.  And definitely a mint blend, because OBVIOUSLY, mint soap just makes you feel cleaner.  LOL

Whatcha making at your place?  :) 

• Like 1

Testing 2 candles today, cinnamon chai and toasted pumpkin spice both from candle science, 8 oz square mason jars, lab co and 464 wax, eco wicks so far beautiful scents to my nose. Not too super bakery but just really nice especially today. It’s cold and windy.

Also testing bath bomb recipes for humid weather, it’s currently about 50% humidity so this is when I like to start making them. I did cut out any salt and that makes a diff I think.Last month it was 93% humidity, oh what fun!

Im putting together small gift boxes to sell this year of b&b stuff including candles, soap, emulsified sugar scrub, body butter etc. That’s the easy part, labeling and packing with probably take longer!

And waiting for my wax to arrive! 🌸

Today I made batches of oatmeal, honey & goat milk soaps in patchouli honey, tuscan lace and a combo of bay rum and burberry for men. I also made some pumice scrub soaps in ginger lime and rocky mountain pine.

Its a busy week again cause I am in the middle of fall craft show season so I have to work fast each week remaking and restocking everything. Tomorrow I make several cases of candles and the day after more goat milk lotions and dog spritz and paw buttah. 

I've been working nonstop for weeks and will continue through to Christmas. Then I can take a short break until my winter market starts back in January. I work year round doing markets and craft shows and selling online. Fortunately winter market is a good time for me to slow down a bit and catch my breath!

On 10/15/2019 at 4:06 PM, Candybee said:

Today I made batches of oatmeal, honey & goat milk soaps in patchouli honey,

OMG, that sounds GOOD!!  Never thought about adding patch to oatmeal & honey.  I'm not a soaper but a candle maker and have made Oatmeal & Honey candles and was not happy with the outcome...but....adding a little patch to the mix peaks my interest again........now where is that bottle of Oatmeal & Honey FO ?? 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Almost everything I make is a blend of some sort, and rarely ever a repeat. I only have like 4 scents that are repeats, and not a blend. 

However with that being said, I made my last soaps to take to the market in August, and got an order at one of my October shows for 50 cupcakes that I made simply due to the fact she paid in full up front AND I don't have to deliver them until the 15th of December, so they'll be nice a cured. (Made them on the 6th of Oct) 

I almost doubled my output this year from last year, and I only have 1 more craft show of the season and I'm hoping to goodness I have enough!! Next year I think I'm going to have to triple it!! (not a bad thing since I only do 4 shows a year, I make what I want when I want) 

And now I'm rambling ...

Today I worked on a soap recipe for a friend who is going through chemo therapy. She wants a custom made batch for her sensitive skin so today I spent time doing research and development. I ordered some supplies and when they get here will finish my R&D and make the soap. I like a challenge and have made different soaps for different skin types but cancer patients present a unique challenge due to their highly sensitized, dry, itchy, rashy skin from the radiation. She is at the stage where she can use a mild soap otherwise I would have just advised her to wait on it until she was ready to use soap.

I've not been making much these days. Last batch I made was back in August I think and it was a couple of test batches. I've been busy with a bunch of other projects, which after winter, should be self sustaining. Add to that, soap hasn't been moving much this year and not making soap is the result. Last year I was bust'n butt to get enough soap made for the holidays and I swore I wouldn't get into that situation again. This year I've been topped off on all of my popular scents, and not a SINGLE holiday order. That's not true... I am bartering a pile of soap for something I would normally have to pay for... (and NO! It's NOT THAT!!!)   

Oh MURPHY! You trickster you!  
871980663_Murphyandme.jpg.794d6a52ff39cab41589253e540bcbba.jpg

Sponiebr
The Executor of Bad Ideas and Sundry Services 

Today, it's double batches of OMH and Creamy Shea Butter Soap, both of which I hate making.  LOL  Fast movers are not my cup of tea.  The f.o. I use in my shea soap accelerates, but I can't switch.  I also hate working with milk in soap, but I suppose I'll survive.  :P

Then I hope to squeeze in a couple of unscented test batches...experimenting with color.

• Like 1

On 11/5/2019 at 2:40 PM, Crafty1_AJ said:

Today, it's double batches of OMH and Creamy Shea Butter Soap, both of which I hate making.  LOL  Fast movers are not my cup of tea.  The f.o. I use in my shea soap accelerates, but I can't switch.  I also hate working with milk in soap, but I suppose I'll survive.  :P

Then I hope to squeeze in a couple of unscented test batches...experimenting with color.

The creamy shea butter soap sounds yummy! I love creamy soaps.

I'm not a '''soaper''' and don't have to be because Barb sent me some of her wonderful creations that I will include in holiday baskets for friends and relatives...all I have to do for the baskets is make a candle or two, add a sugar scrub, a lotion or two, include one of Barb's beautiful soaps and I'm the hit of the party!!

I'm too much of a clutz to make my own soap and am so appreciative of other soap makers on this forum that produce such a beautiful product that makes me proud to pass it on to friends & relatives