Cracked tops using 444 soy. Why?

I have a strange problem. I made a candle using 444 wax. Heated til 185 F, poured at 149 F. When it cooled, it had a smooth surface...all except for a strange line like a crack where the wick was. I thought it looked odd, so I poked the crack and it fell down, showing me that it was a "false top", like a thin layer of wax on the surface, that when poked gave way to rougher textured soy beneath it. I attached some photos. You can see another crack like line in the right hand side of the candle in the first photo. What is going on here? I'm stumped. 

IMG_1686.JPG

IMG_1687.JPG

Edited by angelcandles

I can't offer all of the "why's" -- but I can suggest that you poke a relief hole and do a top pour to smooth out that candle.  The addition of the a new layer will fill in the gaps, bring the level of the candle up a bit (more pleasing to the eye, imo), and probably be smooth, if not, a quick go-over with a heat gun should do it.

• Like 1

444 has been hit or miss for several years.  It has always been problematic as far as cooling behavior, prone to cracking and cavities. 

Pouring temp and cooling rates are both important.  You may need to test various methods to find one that works well in your environment,

meanwhile, I would poke holes in that bad boy to see if you have cavities hidden in the candle, especially around that wick.  As mentioned above, a repour to fill any potential cavities and top off should help.  Don’t be surprised, though, if the second pour cools with odd frosting because of the differences in temps.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TallTayl said:

444 has been hit or miss for several years.  It has always been problematic as far as cooling behavior, prone to cracking and cavities. 

Pouring temp and cooling rates are both important.  You may need to test various methods to find one that works well in your environment,

meanwhile, I would poke holes in that bad boy to see if you have cavities hidden in the candle, especially around that wick.  As mentioned above, a repour to fill any potential cavities and top off should help.  Don’t be surprised, though, if the second pour cools with odd frosting because of the differences in temps.

Interesting. Can you recommend a slightly easier to understand soy wax for a soy beginner? I know soy is notoriously temperamental but maybe 444 is not the right fit for my novice skills.

I can try more variations in my pour temps.