Scented beeswax candles - is it possible?

Hi,

I live in a country where beeswax is super cheap, so using it for candles seemed like a no brainier.

But after researching, I've come across several comments about it failing to have a good scent throw with fragrance oils.

I would really rather use beeswax than soy for my scented candles, but would you recommend against it?

Lucky!

you can absolutely make beeswax scented candles.  The wick needed will be pretty big for beeswax, as compared to other traditional waxes,  but it can be done,  

beeswax shines in taper and pillar form, and struggles in containers. Some of the easiest scented beeswax I make is poured tapers. 

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

Lucky!

you can absolutely make beeswax scented candles.  The wick needed will be pretty big for beeswax, as compared to other traditional waxes,  but it can be done,  

beeswax shines in taper and pillar form, and struggles in containers. Some of the easiest scented beeswax I make is poured tapers. 

Thanks for your reply and for the tip about the wick! Out of curiosity, why should the wick be bigger?

Beeswax has a melt point between 145 and 150°F. Traditional container candle wicks cannot get hot enough to melt the beeswax let alone draw up the highly viscous wax.

square braid is all that has reliably worked in beeswax for me over the last decade. 

• Like 1