No Smell On The Second Burn

I don't know if it's me, the fragrance oil, or the wax. I'm using "White Currant" by CandleScience and I have great hot throw on the first burn I mean a powerful hot throw, but for some reason on the second burn, the scent throw drops down that I can barely smell it when I walk in the room. I doubt if I've become nose blind to the scent because me son gives it a 3 on a scale of 10. I'm using a 3" tin container, coconut wax, an 8% fragrance load, and an ECO 10 wick. I think wicking up may just be too large of a wick for coconut wax, and 10% may be too large of a fragrance load for an ECO 10. Should I decrease the fragrance load? Any suggestions?

Lots to unpack here.

tins and coconut wax with eco 10 is my first hunch as the culprit.  If it really is a coconut wax, eco10 is much, much too large.  It is difficult to see in a tin, especially if dyed, how big and deep the melt pool is.  It is entirely possible the whole tin overheated and acted like a melt, burning off the scent on the first burn. 

Need more info, though, like:

which wax specifically?

how long cured

how long burned on first light

any other additives?

I'm using coconut wax from Northwood.

It cured for 1 week.

I burned it for 4 hours on the first burn.

No other additives (this time around).

This batch was a lot different from the last batch that I bought from them, their wax normally has a nice smooth finish, but this particular batch looked like it had a lot more soy than advertised, the top was not really smooth. The previous batch I also needed to add 15% soy to tame the flames and that worked like a charm. But this time around the using the same blend I couldn't even get a full melt pool on the 4th or 5th burn. So I tried not adding any soy and I'm not getting a hot throw on the second burn.

It’s been awhile since I have read and kept up with what coconut is what....is northwoods coco supposed to be the easy beads coconut that candles and supplies sell?

regardless - my opinion with coconut (I have used 4 kinds) cannot handle an eco that large in a tin - that is way over wicked as TT stated

try going down to a 4 or a 6.....seriously that small and see what happens and go from there 

too large will make it throw like the dickens at first BUT the wax is so soft it melts way too fast causing way too deep of a melt pool and it just can’t consume correctly to balance burn and throw 

now what concerns me is you saying this new batch is nothing like the last one.....your using the same size wick and fragrance with this as well?

I haven’t bought new coco since they were all out of stock way back when, I had several cases stocked up so I’m a little worried I am going to see the same thing 🤦‍♀️

I’ve used this wax and yes wick down for sure. A longer cure with this wax is helpful with certain f.o. I think 8% is good, Eco burns hotter in this wax.

Your batch sounds suspicious to me though. It is always smooth 100% of the time in my experience so I’m wondering if it’s your batch. I would email Northwoods and at least make them aware.

Recently, they announced they may have to discontinue the coconut wax due to manufacturing issues. It is out of stock often. Also they stated they would help customers transition to another wax. Red flag for me!

Ok. I posted about Coconut Wax in a Brand new topic, but I am wondering if the problem I have is similar. My easy beads arrived in a big lump and now I am even more concerned.

The OP here also reminded me of a BIG problem with a recent order. I didn’t post it earlier bc I am slightly embarrassed lol. See attached photo-but trigger warning...it is BAD.

90%soy (444) 10%easy beads and I blamed the tins for possibly having a bad sealant. I still think the tins are at fault but wondering if the coconut wax possibly was involved in this trouble. 

EFDCC88B-15F9-434F-8A06-AAB88F7DDE27.jpeg

On 10/4/2019 at 2:28 PM, moonshine said:

It’s been awhile since I have read and kept up with what coconut is what....is northwoods coco supposed to be the easy beads coconut that candles and supplies sell?

regardless - my opinion with coconut (I have used 4 kinds) cannot handle an eco that large in a tin - that is way over wicked as TT stated

try going down to a 4 or a 6.....seriously that small and see what happens and go from there 

too large will make it throw like the dickens at first BUT the wax is so soft it melts way too fast causing way too deep of a melt pool and it just can’t consume correctly to balance burn and throw 

now what concerns me is you saying this new batch is nothing like the last one.....your using the same size wick and fragrance with this as well?

I haven’t bought new coco since they were all out of stock way back when, I had several cases stocked up so I’m a little worried I am going to see the same thing 🤦‍♀️

I wicked down to Eco 6 & 8. IMO ECO 6 struggled and eventually it tunneled, ECO 8 made a full melt pool on about the 3rd burn down. I think I had a combination of things going on with this. This particular batch of coconut wax was definitely different than previous batches. I think the biggest factor in my blend using the soy wax. I've been using soy 444 to blend with my coconut wax and I have noticed that 444 is a very inconsistent wax. Because of the results of my coconut and soy blend, I decided to make a batch of straight 444. The results were crazy, the wax was extremely grainy and was really soft to the touch (almost like really thick mashed potatoes). Even after letting it cure for 7 days, the 444 never truly hardened. That was the last straw for me with 444. 

I bought some soy wax from Northwood and I was pleased with how smooth it was once I poured it. I'm going to test it tomorrow and if all goes well I'll stick with Northwood's soy to blend with my coconut wax.

On 10/4/2019 at 7:31 PM, CandleRush said:

I’ve used this wax and yes wick down for sure. A longer cure with this wax is helpful with certain f.o. I think 8% is good, Eco burns hotter in this wax.

Your batch sounds suspicious to me though. It is always smooth 100% of the time in my experience so I’m wondering if it’s your batch. I would email Northwoods and at least make them aware.

Recently, they announced they may have to discontinue the coconut wax due to manufacturing issues. It is out of stock often. Also they stated they would help customers transition to another wax. Red flag for me!

I do believe it was the batch because I've been purchasing wax from them since last fall and I've only run into this problem on the most recent batch I purchased.

I hope they don't discontinue this wax I do yield good results with it and changing to paraffin is not an option for me.

I just purchased another batch last week so I'm hoping it's the way it has normally been.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/4/2019 at 7:31 PM, CandleRush said:

@CandleRush there was something definitely different about the batch I was having major issues with. I bought a new batch a couple of weeks ago, so I tested out both batches using my same blend. can we say a HUGE DIFFERENCE. The new batch came in solid, the old batch was extremely mushy like stiff mashed potatoes. Upon pouring the new batch cooled as soon as it was poured (which is normal based off of my previous purchases) the problematic batch took a really long time to cool and harden. The new batch had a smooth flawless finish like previous batches, the problematic batch had a not so smooth finish (kind of like soy wax). Now I know that I have to do a burn test for each batch I purchase. So from now on, I'm going to buy larger sizes instead of the 8.5lb size.